Connect with us

Metro News

Police arrest supected killer of area commander, gunrunner in Katsina

Published

on

 

The Katsina State Police Command has arrested 30-year-old suspected notorious armed bandit Saidu Yaro, alias Sabon Jini, of Tsaskiya Village, Safana LGA of Katsina State following the death of an Area Commander for Dutsinma, ACP Aminu Umar, and another officer.

The police spokesman, ASP Sadiq Abubakar, who disclosed this on Thursday during a parade of suspects at the command headquarters in Katsina, noted that the suspect had been on the command’s wanted list for a series of offences including kidnapping, cattle rustling, and other heinous crimes.

Yaro was reportedly arrested around 5:30 pm on August 30 based on “credible intelligence” in connection with the kidnapping of one Hussaini Nabara of Kagara Village, Dutsin-ma LGA.

During the course of the investigation, the suspect, under the command of one Abubakar Jankare, a suspected notorious bandit leader, was revealed to have conspired with three others Usman Modi-Modi, Auta Nokia, and Sule Malam Aibo, among others at large to ambush the late Area Commander Dutsinma, ACP Aminu Umar, in an encounter that led to the deaths of the officer and one other officer.

READ  Petrol, naira scarcity:  Elections will hold as planned, says INEC chairman

The suspect was said to have confessed to the crime and further investigations are reportedly ongoing.

Katsina, usually referred to as Katsina State to distinguish it from the city of Katsina, is a state in North West zone of Nigeria.
Katsina is a state in North West zone of Nigeria.
The command also confirmed the arrest of a 35-year-old suspected notorious arm smuggler, Ibrahim Abdullahi, alias Dogo, of Sabon Garin Dunburawa village in Batsari Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

Abdullahi was reportedly arrested around 10:30 pm on September 2 at Rahamawa quarters of the Katsina metropolis, after having been trailed.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) added that 404 rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition were recovered in his possession after a search was conducted.

He maintained that the suspect had in the course of interrogation confessed to committing the offence and further stated that he received the exhibits alongside one Yakuba, alias Dan Kwandago, of Kankara LGA, and one Salisu at Wukari LGA, Taraba State, both at large.

READ  Internet fraud: EFCC arrests corper, others, recovers N8.7m, cars

“Efforts are on with a view to arresting the fleeing suspects as investigations are ongoing,” he said.

READ ALSO: FG, Lagos Govt To Close Third Mainland Bridge For Two-Day Repairs

Similarly, the command arrested one Saminu Usman, a suspected notorious kidnapper aged 19 years old, of Tsambe village, Jibia LGA, in connection with a case of kidnapping perpetrated on May 14, 2023, at Tashar Hurera village, Jibia LGA.

“The fact of the case is that on the same date, a report of kidnapping of one Usman Shu’aibu, ‘m’, age 5 years old, of Tashar Hurera village, Jibia LGA, was received at the Jibia Divisional Police Headquarters through one Shu’aibu Salisu, ‘m’, of the same address,” Abubakar said.

“On that fateful day, the kidnappers contacted the father of the victim and demanded the sum of N600,000 and three Android phones as ransom, to which the father obliged and secured the release of his son.

“Upon receipt of the report, detectives were detailed to investigate and succeeded in tracking down and arresting the suspect in Lambata, Niger State.

READ  Six teenage girls rescued from human trafficker on way to Cote d’Ivoire

“During the course of the investigation, the suspect confessed to the commission of the offence and further stated that he conspired with one Rabe, ‘m’, now at large, to perpetrate the heinous act. The investigation is ongoing.”

In the meantime, the command, on September 7, succeeded in arresting a suspected paedophile, Haruna Wanzam, alias Baba Tsoho, a male aged 65 of Abuja quarters, Katsina Metropolis, for sexually assaulting a four-year-old girl.

A report was said to have been made against the suspect at the Dandagoro Divisional Police Headquarters by the father of the victim.

“Upon receipt of the report, detectives promptly swung into action and succeeded in arresting the suspect,” the PPRO stated.

“During the course of the investigation, it was revealed that the suspect took advantage of the absence of the girl’s parents, who were away on a visit, and lured and molested the girl.

“The suspect confessed to the commission of the offense while the investigation is ongoing.”

Metro News

Court orders final forfeiture of over N12.18bn choice properties linked to Emefiele

Published

on

By

 

The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Friday ordered the final forfeiture to the Federal Government properties valued at over N11.14bn and another N1.04 billion linked to the former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Godwin Emefiele.

 

Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke made the order of permanent forfeiture after hearing an application filed and argued by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), through its counsel Chineye Okezie.

 

On June 5, 2024, The judge had upheld the anti-graft agency’s motion filed and argued by its counsel, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo for a temporary forfeiture of the properties.

 

Oyedepo informed the court that Emefiele was suspected of having bought the choice properties by proxy, with the proceeds of fraud.

 

The EFCC named two current and one former CBN staff as Emefiele’s accomplices in the alleged fraud.

The trio, according to the affidavit filed in support of the application, are Obayemi Oluwaseun Teben and Akomolafe Adebayo working with Olubunmi Makinde a former CBN staff and others.

READ  Police arrest four suspects over massacre in Benue community

 

The properties are mostly located in highbrow parts of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

 

Justice Aneke ordered the EFCC to publish the order for interim forfeiture in a national newspaper for any interested party to show cause why the final order of forfeiture should not be made.

 

The judge then adjourned for a hearing of the application for final forfeiture.

Upon resumption on June 21, no party appeared in court to contest the judge’s interim order and Chineye Okezie moved her application for the permanent forfeiture.

 

After reading a 41-paragraph affidavit deposed to by an EFCC Investigating Officer, Michael John Idoko, the 19 Exhibits attached, a Written Address signed by Okezie, and after hearing Okezie’s motion, Justice Aneke granted the application.

 

The properties were listed by the EFCC in two schedules, A and B.

The judge said: “Having carefully considered the application and submission of counsel, it is hereby ordered as follows: – that a final forfeiture order of this honourable court is hereby made forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria, properties contained in Schedule A herein which were traced and reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activities.”

READ  753 Machine Gun live ammunition seized in Abakaliki

 

They include shops and apartments at Cadastral Zone Maitama and Wuse.

 

For Schedule B, Justice Aneke added: “That a final forfeiture order of this Honourable Court is hereby made forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria, properties contained in Schedule B herein which properties were traced to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activities.”

 

The properties include lands and apartments which were paid for on behalf of Oluwaseun at a total value of N1.04 billion.

 

According to the affidavit, Obayemi Oluwaseun Teben and Akomolafe Adebayo working with Olubunmi Makinde “used their positions and Influence as CBN staff to secure retail and Special allocation of Foreign Exchange to different companies in exchange for kickbacks.

 

“That Olubunmi Makinde is the link between Obayemi Oluwaseun Teben and Akomolafe Adebayo and the various companies applying for the purchase of foreign exchange.

 

“That Obayemi Oluwaseun Teben and Akomolafe Adebayo as staffs of the Central Bank of Nigeria has access to the bidding processes and bidding Data of companies who has applied for the approval of form Ms to the CBN through their various commercial banks.”

READ  Internet fraud: EFCC arrests corper, others, recovers N8.7m, cars

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigerian-born boxer shot dead by neighbour in US

Published

on

By

 

Isaiah Olugbemi, a Nigerian-born boxer, has been confirmed dead after he was shot multiple times in Odenton, Maryland, US.

 

According to local police, Olugbemi was found on the ground with gunshot wounds along Meadowmist Way in the city on June 17.

 

The 27-year-old was rushed to the Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced later pronounced dead.

 

Court documents later revealed that the police obtained surveillance footage showing a white male confronting Olugbemi with a handgun before shooting him multiple times and fleeing the scene on foot.

 

Nicholas Giroux, the victim’s neighbour, was identified as the suspect in the footage.

 

According to CBS, police said they interviewed Giroux on June 18, and he confessed to the crime and was charged with first and second-degree murder.

 

Abraham Olugbemi, the victim’s brother, alleged that Giroux had threatened the deceased at least two other times with a gun this year — in January and June.

READ  Police arrest four suspects over massacre in Benue community

 

Olugbemi was a Junior Olympics gold medalist, a three-time Golden Gloves state boxing champion and a two-time Open Regional champion.

 

Giroux’s preliminary hearing is set for July 17.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Gunmen abduct pregnant woman due for delivery on her way to hospital

Published

on

By

 

Some yet-to-be-identified armed men have abducted a pregnant woman, simply identified as Mrs Ogunbunmi in Ogun State.

 

Mrs Ogunbunmi, who was said to be due for delivery, reportedly left her home in Oke Lantoro for the State General Hospital, Ijaiye, Abeokuta before her reported abduction on a date not disclosed.

 

According to reports, her husband, Ogunbunmi Lateef, received a WhatsApp message notifying him of his wife’s kidnapping by these abductors.

Confirming the incident, on Thursday in a statement on her X handle formerly called Twitter, the spokesperson for the state police command, Omolola Odutola, said the suspected abduction had been reported to the command.

 

Odutola stated, “One Ogunbunmi Lateef of Oke Lantoro reported that his pregnant wife due for delivery left home for State Hospital Ijaiye Abeokuta.

 

“He received a WhatsApp message confirming the abduction of his wife by unknown armed men”.

READ  21yr-old man dies at Lagos birthday party after drug overdose
Continue Reading

Trending News