Connect with us

Metro News

Driver fleeing LASTMA officials kills two LAWMA road sweepers

Published

on

 

A yet-to-be-identified driver trying to evade arrest by traffic officials on Monday morning killed two road sweepers on the Gbagada-Oshodi Expressway in Lagos State

According to eyewitnesses, the driver, whose name is unknown as of press time, was chased by officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) when the fleeing driver rammed into two members of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) at their duty post by the roadside.

The situation led to a demonstration as passersby and motorists protested the killing of the street sweepers.

Security agents including policemen have since arrived at the scene and tear-gassed protesters in an attempt to disperse them and quell the situation.

Meanwhile, LAWMA has confirmed the death of the two sanitation workers in a statement on Monday.

“LAWMA is working with security agencies to apprehend and prosecute the errant driver of the car, with vehicle number EPE 984 DV,” the statement read.

READ  Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: FG accuses Emefiele of obtaining $6.2m by false pretence in amended charge

“We wish to appeal to motorists for the umpteenth time, to drive with utmost caution on the highways, to avoid sad incidents like this happening to our sanitation workers or anyone in the course of their legitimate duties.

“The public is urged to remain calm as appropriate steps are being taken and necessary measures put in place.

“Our heartfelt condolences go to the families of the deceased, whom we love most dearly. May their souls continue to rest in peace.”

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Okun-Ajah waterfront scheme: Lagos serves over 200 property owners notices

Published

on

By

 

The Lagos State Government has served contravention notice on over 200 property owners and occupiers in Òkun Ajah Waterfront scheme by in Eti Osa LGA, over encroachment on government land.

 

A seven-day ultimatum was also issued to all the affected property owners and occupiers in this area encroaching on government land.

 

They are required to come with relevant documents and approvals that back their occupation of the land.

 

The Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Yacoob Ekundayo Alebiosu during an inspection of the area at the weekend, said many properties and buildings in the area contravened the law by illegally taking possession of the land not allocated to them by the government.

 

He said four contravention notices had earlier been served on the illegal occupants in the Okun Ajah scheme, saying the government cannot continue to watch and see the state’s commonwealth turned to private investments.

READ  ASUU Strike: Again, court adjourns FG's case

 

Alebiosu, therefore, urged owners of such buildings to voluntarily remove their encroaching properties before the expiration of the ultimatum.

 

He also said, if they allow the government to use its funds to enforce the directive, the cost of such operation shall be recovered from the property owners.”

 

The commissioner also said that the ministry has gone through all the processes required in Okun Ajah and that this is the last one.

 

“We have served over 200 houses today alone, based on several contraventions. We’ll be coming back with the Ministry of physical planning to take possession.”

 

While speaking to journalists after the exercise, Alebiosu said, “there are several properties in Okun Ajah without waterfront clearance, a lot of encroachments have been identified with people building without approval because they would not have got the Ministry of physical planning approvals without getting clearance from the ministry of waterfront infrastructure development.

READ  Count me out of you debt wahala, Aregbesola tells Oyetola, Adeleke

 

“We’re always guided by the law, we have issued notices, stop work orders have also been served, despite that, they kept at it, continued with their work, and we are left with no option.

 

“We have been meticulous, we had followed through all the processes before we got to this stage, we are now at the final stage of enforcement, we have been here severally, we even met with resistance from some of them, but the law has to take its course.

 

“I want to allay the fears of the people on whether government will abandon the land after taking possession. Again, I need to inform the public that a lot of people have been allotted these plots of land, and they are already waiting to take possession, but because some unknown people have gone ahead to sell the plots to people; illegally, that is why they have not taken possession.

READ  HEARTBEAK FOR ENGLAND AS ITALY WIN EURO ON PENALTIES

 

“There are people with proper government allocation, but they’re always threatened by these illegal operators when they come to take possession, there have been a lot of cases, that is why we had to come here with our full enforcement team so that everything will be in order. We have taken the final step required of us.”

 

Alebiosu, thereafter, advised all other illegal occupants on other waterfront schemes in Lagos that they should approach the ministry for waterfront clearance.

 

He said that Physical Planning will not give anyone approval without getting clearance from the Ministry of Waterfront Infrastructure Development.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Why I killed rival bandits’ kingpin – Notorious bandit Turji

Published

on

By

 

Bello Turji, leader of a group of outlaws operating in northern Nigeria, has blamed Minister of Defence (State), Bello Matawalle, of not handling banditry effectively when he was governor of Zamfara State.

 

During his time as governor, Matawalle had rolled out an amnesty programme to bandits, describing dialogue as best option to tackle banditry.

 

He, however, later withdrew the amnesty, saying the bandits failed to embrace the peace initiative his government offered them.

 

In a video released on social media, Turji linked the escalation of banditry in Zamfara and other Northwestern states to the policies mapped out by Matawalle when he was governor.

 

“Any person living in Shinkafi, Zurmi, and Isa (Sokoto State) cannot deny this claim. There is a particular group of bandits whom the former governor pampered. I chased the group from Shinkafi, I killed their leader, Dudu, for peace to reign in Shinkafi. The group had 200 arms, but the governor later hosted them (Dudu’s boys) at the Government House.

READ  Elected leaders told me ICC was built for Africa and thugs, says chief prosecutor

 

“But the government failed to ask the group to surrender their weapons. Another group led by Bashari Maniya has over 300 guns.”

Turji claimed that he had seized 30 guns from a bandits group led by one Bashari Maniya, adding that the group never surrendered their weapons to the government.

In the video, Turji also alleged that some leaders of the bandits’ groups who were part of the peace deal initiated by the Matawalle administration had relocated to Sokoto after arming their boys to continue kidnapping people for ransom.

 

“Ali is a boy to Kabiru Maniya, and he is responsible for attacks in Tangaza axis. Both Bashiri and Kabiru are residing in the Sokoto metropolis, enjoying their lives. One other person, Buhari, is also in Sokoto town enjoying himself.

“Three weeks ago, a younger brother of Buhari was apprehended with guns in the Sokoto metropolis. Let anyone come out and deny this. I can come forward with video evidence where Kabiru was seen firing machine guns.

READ  Lagos issues travel advisory ahead of Third Mainland bridge closure

 

“The question now is, where are the machine guns after they claimed that they have embraced peace and settled in Sokoto town? Who did he give the machine guns? Let the government explain this to Nigerians, who are killing the people. Let them stop blaming Bello Turji for the killings and kidnapping.

 

“People that are being kidnapped in Sokoto metropolis and taken to the back of Achida and Goronyo, who is responsible for the kidnapping? Is that also Bello Turji? Who is living in peace in Shinkafi?”

 

Efforts to reach Matawalle for reaction failed as of the time of filing this report.

 

Multiple calls made to Henshaw Ogubike, a spokesperson of the Defence Ministry, rang out.

 

Ogbuike, however, sent a text message, asking our reporter to reach him via text. He had not responded to the message sent as of the time of filing this report.

 

READ  HEARTBEAK FOR ENGLAND AS ITALY WIN EURO ON PENALTIES

Previously, Matawalle denied any link to the bandits and maintained that his government did its best to address the security challenges in Zamfara when he was in power.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

NDLEA arrests one-legged man with six bags of cannabis

Published

on

By

 

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a 48-year-old one-legged man, Amadu Garba, at his house in Yawuri town, Kebbi State, with six bags of cannabis weighing 67 kg.

 

Garba was arrested on July 16th.

 

On the same day, NDLEA operatives intercepted a male Beninese passenger, Orobi Adoubi Amen, at the Lagos airport.

The suspect, travelling to Dubai via Accra, Ghana, on an Air Peace Airline flight and a connecting Emirates Airline flight to Dubai, was found with eight parcels of Loud, a synthetic strain of cannabis, weighing 2.10 kg.

 

The parcels were concealed in ladies’ native dresses within his bag. Amen claimed he was given the consignment for a fee of N600,000 upon successful delivery in Dubai.

 

The Director of Media and Advocacy of the NDLEA, Mr. Femi Babafemi, provided these updates in a statement on Sunday. NDLEA operatives have reported multiple arrests and drug seizures across various locations in Nigeria.

READ  Police Recruitment: Force advises candidates to check application status on portal, print Invitation Slip

 

Babafemi disclosed that on July 14th, during a 100% search of a container marked MSDU 5656394 from Canada at Tincan Port in Lagos, 4.5 kg of a psychoactive substance was recovered from the door panels and boot of an imported Toyota RAV 4 vehicle.

 

Two suspects, Dada Kole and Alaba Oladewusi, were arrested in connection with this seizure.

In Abuja, two suspects, 60-year-old Ademola Elusakin and 34-year-old Nuhu Friday Adamu, were arrested on July 15th with 30.0 kg of the same substance along the Kwali-Gwagwalada-Abuja expressway.

 

They were travelling from Lagos to Nasarawa State. Elusakin claimed he procured the consignment from Ghana via Lagos and intended to supply it to illegal miners in Nasarawa State.

 

In Plateau state, a raid on the storehouse of a notorious drug dealer, Choji Gyang (aka Pararam), who is currently at large, led to the recovery of 34 bags of cannabis weighing 312 kg. The dealer’s manager, Kelvin Onwutalu, was arrested.

READ  HEARTBEAK FOR ENGLAND AS ITALY WIN EURO ON PENALTIES

 

In Osogbo, Osun State, two suspects, Ifabiyi Johnson and Adeleke Musiliu, were arrested on Friday with different strains of cannabis sativa weighing 30.4 kg during a raid.

 

Acting on credible intelligence, NDLEA operatives, backed by soldiers, raided a mechanic workshop opposite Benin Garage, Akure, Ondo State, and recovered a white Toyota Hilux Van with registration number EE 328 EKY loaded with 652 parcels of cannabis weighing 685 kg.

 

In Nasarawa State, 38 kg of the same substance and a locally made AK-47 rifle were recovered from the home of a suspect, Christopher Ombugadu, in Akwanga during a raid on July 14th.

 

Additionally, NDLEA Commands and formations across the country continued their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization activities in schools, worship centres, workplaces, and communities over the past week.

Continue Reading

Trending News