Connect with us

Metro News

Ibadan plane crash: How minister, 12 others narrowly escaped death

Published

on

 

By sheer providence, Adebayo Adelabu, minister of power, and 12 other passengers and flight crew narrowly escaped a tragic fate as their HS 125 aircraft, bearing nationality and registration marks 5N-AMM, operated by Flint Aero, crashed in Ibadan, Oyo State airport.

The incident occurred at approximately 08:21 p.m. yesterday.

The aircraft, which had departed Abuja at 6:41 p.m., was en route to Ibadan.

Remarkably, there were no fatalities, although the aircraft sustained significant damage.

It was gathered that the pilot had been cleared for an RNAV approach to Runway 22 of Samuel Ladoke Akintola Airport, Ibadan. But the plane skidded off the runway.

Quick and efficient action allowed all passengers and crew members to be safely evacuated.

One of the minister’s aides said in a chat that his principal was very sound and in good spirits.

He noted that Adelabu felt the incident was not something to worry about.

His words: “It was actually a minor thing, and that is how he has taken it.

READ  Ngige distances himself from re-arrest of ‘fugitive’ Nnamdi Kanu

“The minister was particularly not worried by the incident because it did not involve any of the passengers leaving with any injury.

“Everyone on board the aircraft when the incident happened actually alighted without any problem, and we have no cause to worry.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau, NSIB, has initiated an inquest into the accident.

In a statement, the Director, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, NSIB, James Odaudu, who confirmed the accident, stated that the agency had been notified and it had commenced investigation.

He stated that the aircraft, with 10 passengers and three crew members, was en route to Ibadan from Abuja.

“The aircraft, on final approach to landing on Runway 22, Ibadan Airport, crashed short of the runway,” Odandu said.

“There was no fatality as all passengers and crew were safely evacuated.

“As the investigating agency, NSIB needs and hereby solicits your assistance. We want the public to know that we would be amenable to receiving any video clip, relevant evidence, or information any members of the public may have of the accident; that can assist us with this investigation.

READ  Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: President Tinubu to arrive Lagos on Tuesday from London for Eid-el-Kabir celebrations

“The Bureau will appreciate that the general public and press respect the privacy of the people involved and not assume the cause of the serious incident until a formal report is released.

“The Bureau will release the preliminary report as soon as possible.”

In the history of Nigerian aviation, a large number of air crashes have been recorded. Sadly, Adelabu is not the only government functionary who has been involved in plane crashes.

Former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo escaped death on February 2, 2019, when his helicopter crash-landed in Kogi State.

That was the second time his helicopter would crash land. In June 2017, he survived a similar accident when the chopper he was travelling in crash-landed shortly after taking off in Gwagawalada, Abuja.

On May 21, 2021, the NAF Beechcraft King Air Craft crashed en route to Kaduna International Airport from the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport killing all the 11 occupants including Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, who was the Chief of Staff position at the time.

READ  PDP governors to meet Monday

On December 15, 2012, the nation was thrown into mourning with the news of four persons dead, including Governor Patrick Yakowa of Kaduna State and former National Security Adviser to the President, General Owoeye Azazi. They were reportedly burnt in a helicopter crash that occurred in the forest of the Okoroba community in Nembe local government of Bayelsa State.

Earlier, precisely on October 25, 2012, the governor of Taraba State, Danbaba Suntai, and five of his aides narrowly escaped death when a Cessna 208 aircraft marked 5N-BMJ and piloted by Suntai, lost contact with the Yola Control Tower 38 miles to landing, after leaving Jalingo, the Taraba State capital and crashed into a hill in Adamawa.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Police arrest Samaila Fafa, another wanted notorious FCT kidnapper

Published

on

By

 

Operatives of the Federal Capital Territory Police Command have arrested Samaila Fafa, also known as Habu Ibrahim, the second of two wanted kidnappers on whom the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had placed a N20 million bounty.

The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Adeh, said in a statement on Tuesday that the kidnapper was arrested on February 24, 2024, at about 7.05pm, after operatives acting on credible intelligence stormed Sardauna Forest in the Toto area of Nasarawa State.

Wike had on Wednesday, February 14, 2024, placed a N20m bounty on two wanted bandits, Dahiru Adamu and Abu Ibrahim, who were suspected to have been terrorising Abuja.

The former Rivers State governor had made the declaration when he met with the FCT Commissioner of Police, CP Benneth Igweh, during a parade of 23 criminal suspects at the FCT Police Command Headquarters in Garki, Abuja.

 

The anti-kidnapping unit of the FCT police command had previously arrested Saidu Abdulkadir, aka Dahiru Adamu, one of the two wanted kidnappers, after operatives raided two kidnappers’ camps bordering Nasarawa and Abuja via Kuje Area Council on February 15, 2024, at about 12am.

READ  Israel-Hamas war: Christmas is cancelled in Bethlehem - birth place of Jesus

 

Meanwhile, Adeh, in the statement, said the kidnapper had confessed that his syndicate masterminded several kidnappings in the FCT and its environs, including the abduction of Barr. Chris Agidy, legal aid to Senator. Ned Nwoko, and Mr. Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti Village, both of whom were later killed.

 

The statement read, “The operatives of the FCT Police Command, in a continued effort against banditry in FCT and its environs, on February 24, 2024, at about 7.05pm, acting on credible intelligence, stormed Sardauna Forest, Toto, Nasarawa State, and arrested one Samaila Wakili Fafa A.K.A. Habu Ibrahim, a kidnapping kingpin who has been on the wanted list of the Command for a long time and had a bounty placed on his head by the Hon. Minister FCT.

“The suspect is one of the two kidnappers the Honorable Minister FCT placed a bounty on, as the other one, namely Saidu Abdulkadir A.K.A. Dahiru Adamu, had earlier been arrested by the Command.

READ  India makes historic moon landing, becomes the fourth country ever to land spacecraft on the moon (VIDEO)

 

“He confessed that his syndicate masterminded and executed several kidnappings in FCT and its environs, including the abduction of Barr. Chris Agidy provided legal aid to the Senator. Ned Nwoko and Mr Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti Village, were later killed by them. Samaila Wakili further led police operatives to where the remains of Barr were. Chris Agidy is. The remains were recovered and deposited in Gwagwalada General Hospital.”

 

Adeh said investigations were ongoing, adding that the FCT Commissioner of Police, CP Benneth Igwe, reiterated his commitment to combating crime and criminality and ensuring the safety of residents.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Lagos arraigns RCCG pastor for allegedly raping, impregnating daughter

Published

on

By

 

A Pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Emmanuel Orekoya, was on Tuesday arraigned before the Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court for allegedly raping and impregnating his 17- year-old daughter.

The defendant is facing two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and sexual assault preferred against him by the Lagos State Government.

It was also gathered that the defendant in the process of having sexual intercourse with his daughter, allegedly impregnated her.

The state’s prosecution counsel, Mrs Abimbola Abolade, told the court that the defendant committed the offences sometime in 2017 at Jacob Adeleye Street, Odoeran, Itire area of the state.

The prosecutor also told the court that Orekoya sexually assaulted the victim, by inserting his finger inside her vagina and inserting his penis inside her mouth.

According to the prosecutor, the offences Orekoya committed contravened Section 137 of the criminal law of Lagos State 2015.

 

READ  Israel-Hamas war: Christmas is cancelled in Bethlehem - birth place of Jesus

However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges pressed against him.

 

Justice Soladoye adjourned the case till April 17, 2024, for the commencement of trial.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Five dead, 26 rescued as building collapses in Anambra market

Published

on

By

 

A yet-to-be-ascertained number of persons have been trapped following the collapse of a building under construction in the Ochanja market in Onitsha, Anambra state.

 

The cause of the collapse, which happened on Monday evening, is yet to be determined.

 

Chukwuma Soludo, governor of the state, who visited the site on Tuesday, said five casualties have been recorded so far.

 

Soludo described the incident as tragic and one “that was not supposed to happen”. He disclosed that 26 individuals had been rescued and hospitalised, with rescue efforts ongoing to locate those still trapped under the rubble.

 

“The contractor at his own cost will come and put down the illegal buildings he erected here,” the governor said.

 

“They are all going to come down. My government did not approve of this building. We will redesign this area and build it properly.”

 

He added that other buildings constructed without proper approval will be demolished, including structures currently under construction at other markets.

READ  Sexual assault: Victim narrates how Baba Ijesha allegedly defiled her

 

“A comprehensive inventory of buildings in Anambra markets and public places will be conducted,” Soludo said.

 

“Markets will undergo integrity tests to identify and remove potentially unsafe structures and individuals found responsible for illegal construction will face legal consequences.”

 

The governor also assured that the hospital bills of those receiving treatment will be offset by the government, and expressed condolences to the families of those who lost their lives.

 

Continue Reading

Trending News