Connect with us

News

Good Morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: Off-season gov polls: IG undercover squads comb Imo, Kogi, Bayelsa flashpoints, criminal hideouts

Published

on

 

1. Ahead of Saturday’s governorship elections in Imo, Kogi and Bayelsa states, the Inspector-General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, has deployed undercover agents, who are currently carrying out covert operations to identify criminals’ hideouts and clamp down on them in the three states and neighbouring states.

2. Minister of Aviation and Aerospace, Mr Festus Keyamo, has read the riot act to chief executives of aviation agencies under his ministry, saying that having signed the performance bond with other ministers serving in President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s government, he is under obligation to perform. He also sought the support of stakeholders in the industry in order to protect his job.

3. Gunmen have attacked the residence of the Kiyawa Local Government Chairman in Jigawa State and kidnapped his two wives. The chairman, Honorable Nasiru Ahmed Kiyawa, told BBC Hausa that the gunmen stormed his house after Isha’i prayer on Friday night, chasing away people outside before entering.

READ  Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: Bye-elections: IG restricts movement in Lagos, 25 others Saturday

4. The Appeal Court sitting in Abuja has fixed Monday for hearing in the appeal of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) against his All Progressive Congress (APC) rival, Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna. The governor had filed an appeal to challenge the nullification of his election by the Kano Election Petition Tribunal.

5. Political parties and other stakeholders in the Bayelsa, Kogi and Imo governorship elections scheduled for next Saturday are billed to sign a peace accord on Wednesday. The Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar-led National Peace Committee (NPC), which disclosed this in a statement signed by the former head of state, pleaded with all stakeholders to play their parts in ensuring peace before, during, and after the elections in the three states.

6. The National Industrial Court in Owerri has issued a fresh interim injunction restraining the organised labour from embarking on any kind of strike in Imo State until further notice. The court warned against the disobedience of its order, saying that it would attract consequences.

READ  Plateau killings: UNIJOS suspends ongoing exams

7. Rivers State governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has hailed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s intervention in the political crisis that rocked the state last week, saying it led to quick resolution of the matter. Fubara in a statement he personally signed at the weekend titled, ‘Peace is Priceless’, described Tinubu’s role in the dispute as fatherly.

8. Speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Hon Olamide Olajidi, has blamed the refusal of the Deputy Governor of the state, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, to withdraw cases in courts as a reason for the failure of the All Progressives Congress peace moves to materialise. Speaker Olajidi said Ayedatiwa, was not ready for genuine reconciliation.

9. The military troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN (OPSH) have successfully uncovered and dismantled an illegal weapons manufacturing factory in Vom, Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State, which is being used to fuel the lingering crisis within Plateau State and Southern part of Kaduna State. The Media and Information Officer of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), Captain James Oya said on Saturday that the operation was based on actionable intelligence.

READ  Nigeria loses N4.5T to oil thieves, suffers 4,919 oil spills

10. Troops of the Nigerian Army code-named ‘Operation Whirl Punch’ have killed seven terrorists terrorising locals at Kampanin Doka Village, Birnin-Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State. According to the Acting Deputy Director of Army Public Relations Officer, Nigerian Army, Kaduna, Lt. Col. Musa Yahaya, in separate attacks, the terrorists killed no fewer than seven villagers.

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Cholera outbreak: Death toll rises to 24 in Lagos, suspected cases now 417

Published

on

By

 

The death toll resulting from the outbreak of cholera in Lagos State has risen to 24 from 21 earlier reported.

 

An update by the Lagos State Government on Friday indicated that a total of 24 persons have lost their lives to the disease as of June 19, 2024.

 

The report also said while a total of 417 suspected cases have been recorded only 35 cases have been confirmed so far across the 20 local government council areas in the state.

 

As of Thursday, the Special Adviser to the Lagos State Governor on Health, Kemi Ogunyemi, said that the number of recorded fatalities rose to 21 from 15. She also reported 350 suspected cases.

 

According to her, Lagos Island, Kosofe, and Eti Osa recorded the highest numbers.

 

Ogunyemi, while providing an update on the outbreak after meeting with members of the Lagos State Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC) attributed the rise in cases to the Ileya festivities during which large gatherings occurred.

 

She, however, noted that suspected cases were subsiding across LGAs particularly in previously affected LGAs due to state government interventions and surveillance efforts.

 

The special adviser stated that the Lagos State Government, through the Ministry of Health and other sister agencies, was maintaining rigorous surveillance and monitoring of the situation and implementing planned programs and activities to curb the spread.

READ  Secure your stations, IG warns policemen

 

“The Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the State Ministry of Environment and its agency, the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), continues to collect samples of water sources, food, and beverages to identify the source of contamination. We have also intensified our surveillance activities in communities, particularly in affected local government areas, to address the situation head-on.

 

“We are also working with the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education as well as the Ministry of Tertiary Education to ensure all precautions are taken in our schools to protect children and scholars as they return. Residents must, however, remain vigilant, practice good hand hygiene, and participate in community sanitation activities to stop the spread of cholera,” the Special Adviser stated.

 

She advised that citizens seek medical attention immediately if they experience symptoms such as watery diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, general malaise, and fever, stressing that cholera treatment is provided free of charge at all public health facilities.

 

While noting that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu remains committed to ensuring that residents of Lagos receive quality and affordable health care, the special adviser extended the gratitude of the state government to local, national, and international partners—including UNICEF, WHO, NCDC, NIMR, Red Cross, and others —for their support in combating the outbreak.

READ  Good morning! Here Are Major News Headlines In Nigerian Newspapers Today: How Obi was attacked after Katsina rally – Campaign team

 

“Appreciation is also extended to the dedicated team of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lab scientists, environmental health officers, Water Corporation officers, surveillance officers, heads of agencies, members of PHEOC, and volunteers who are working around the clock to combat the disease and keep Lagos safe,” Ogunyemi said.

 

The Ogun State Government has also confirmed the outbreak of the disease which has claimed the life of a 62-year-old woman, and five persons hospitalised, according to the state’s Commissioner for Health, Tomi Coker.

 

Global Death Toll
Sadly, the World Health Organization (WHO) also confirmed a cumulative death of 194, 897 deaths and 1,932 cases globally as a result of a cholera outbreak.

 

A statement by the health organisation’s Eastern Mediterranean Region said the outbreaks were recorded from the 1st of January, 2024 to the 26th of May, 2024.

 

The cases were reported from 24 countries across five WHO regions with the Eastern Mediterranean Region recording the highest numbers followed by the African Region, the Region of the Americas, the South-East Asia Region, and the European Region.

READ  IG orders prosecution of Professor for assaulting police orderly

 

No outbreaks were reported in the Western Pacific Region during this time.

 

“The global stockpile of Oral Cholera Vaccines (OCV) was depleted until early March but exceeded the emergency target of 5 million doses in early June for the first time in 2024. As of 10 June 2024, the stockpile has 6.2 million doses. However, demand for the vaccine continues to outpace supply. Since January 2023, 92 million OCV doses were requested by 16 countries, nearly double the 49 million doses produced during this period,” it said.

 

By March, the UN health agency said it exhausted its global stockpile of Oral Cholera Vaccines (OCV). Still, it was able to exceed “the emergency target of five million doses in early June for the first time in 2024”.

 

WHO reported that 16 countries requested 92 million doses of OCV since January last year – almost double the 49 million produced during that time.

 

It said it was working with other partners such as the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and others, to use resources to find long-term solutions for cholera.

Continue Reading

News

Cholera outbreak: Lagos LGA suspends school food vendors

Published

on

By

 

The Agege LGA in Lagos has suspended food vendors in schools under the council as part of measures to curb the spread of the cholera outbreak in the state.

 

On June 11, Akin Abayomi, Lagos commissioner for health, said five people died while about 60 residents were hospitalised as a result of a suspected cholera outbreak in some parts of the city.

 

On June 15, the commissioner confirmed the cholera outbreak, noting that there have been 350 suspected cases, out of which 17 have been confirmed cases, with 15 fatalities.

 

As of Thursday, the number of cholera-related deaths in the state had risen to 24.

 

Ganiyu Egunjobi, chairman of Agege LGA, said the council has embarked on rigorous sensitisation to prevent the spread of the disease.

 

Egunjobi noted that market stakeholders and schools have also been sensitised over the radio on precautionary measures to ensure the disease is prevented in the community.

READ  IG lists challenges, says #EndSARS protests has weakened police

 

“We have suspended all school food vendors to ensure the safety of the pupils and students,” he said.

 

“We have informed both the pupils and students on radio stations to come with their foods to ensure their safety from the cholera disease.

 

“This development will allow us to detect and prevent outbreaks in our community. We are working tirelessly to prevent the menace of cholera outbreaks in our community.

 

“We are using various means to talk to our people, through landlord associations and others, to caution them on ensuring hygiene in preparing foods and drinks.

 

“We urge residents to acquaint themselves with precautionary measures against the deadly cholera disease outbreak.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending News

Good Morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: Constables’ Recruitment: Police Intimidating Us, PSC Cries Out

Published

on

By

 

1. The authorities of the Police Service Commission, PSC, on Friday, raised the alarm that the police high command is intimidating the agency over the ongoing issues regarding the recruitment of police constables.

 

2. Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has removed Chidi Awuse as Chairman of Rivers State Council of Traditional Rulers. Awuse, an ally of the Minister of Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, was replaced with the traditional ruler of Apara Kingdom, Eze Chike Worlu Wodo.

 

3. Amid persistent high cost of goods and services, the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mr. Olayemi Cardoso assured yesterday that inflation will subside in the months ahead. At a meeting with leaders of the organised private sector, the CBN governor said there were positive developments in the fight against the economic challenges.

 

4. The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, on Friday announced the approval of N21 billion for 11 electricity Distribution Companies, DisCos, to provide meters for end-use customers. This was contained in its ORDER NO: NERC/2024/072 on The Operationalization of “Tranche A” of the Presidential Metering Initiative Under the Framework of Meter Acquisition Fund.

READ  IG orders tight security ahead Eid-el-Kabir celebration

 

 

5. Chairman of the Ondo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Tola Alabere, has said that the loss of the November governorship election would end the existence of the party in the state. Alabere stated that the majority of members might not remain in the party if the ruling All Progressives Congress emerged victorious.

 

6. An officer of the Federal Road Safety Corps, whose name could not be immediately ascertained, was on Friday injured by a driver along Osogbo/Gbongan Road, near Osun Government Secretariat in Abere. The driver was said to be driving at top speed when FRSC officers at a roadblock near the Osun Sector Headquarters located along the expressway, waved him to stop.

 

7. There was palpable tension in Ojurowo, Folumo in the Isale Eko area of Lagos Island, Lagos State, on Friday after members of the public caught an unidentified woman for kidnapping and selling children. It was learnt that the woman had kidnapped the children from the Ijora area of the state and brought them to Isale Eko to sell them.

READ  Plateau killings: UNIJOS suspends ongoing exams

 

8. The Bauchi State Police Command on Friday urged for calm following the lynching of a man alleged to be an advocate of a religious movement. The state Police Public Relations Officer, Ahmed Wakil, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Auwal Musa, confirmed that the incident happened on Wednesday.

 

9. The death toll from the cholera outbreak in Lagos State has risen to 24 with 35 confirmed cases, even as 417 suspected cases have been confirmed in 20 local government areas of the state. The State Commissioner for Health, Prof Akin Abayomi, who confirmed the development on his X handle on Friday, said the update was from the Lagos State Cholera Outbreak Situation Report.

 

10. Italian football legend, Roberto Baggio has been hospitalised after being attacked by armed robbers who stormed his home. The intruders locked his family up while they watched last night’s Euro 2024 match between Italy and Spain.

READ  Good Morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: Imo guber poll: Uzodimma unveils Ekomaro as running mate, dumps deputy

Continue Reading

Trending News