Connect with us

News

Impeachment saga: Fubara thanks Tinubu for ‘fatherly intervention’, apologises to Rivers people

Published

on

 

Siminalayi Fubara, Rivers State Governor, has apologised to the people of the state for what he called ‘regrettable anxiety’, following the political crisis that rocked the state earlier this week.

Governor Fubara also thanked President Bola Tinubu, Rivers Elders and his brother governors for their intervention.

In a statement that he signed, titled “Peace Is Priceless”, the governor recalled the events from the fire incident at the State Assembly Complex on Sunday night to the division in the House and his visit to the complex, the Governor maintained that his actions were aimed at restoring peace and stability in Rivers State.

He said as a man of peace, the advancement of the state is his primary concern and that no sacrifice is too much for him to take to achieve this objective.

Fubara also said his predecessor and Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike, shares a collective responsibility with him to leverage on their positions and influences within and outside the state to advance the progress, security and well-being of the people of Rivers State.

READ  Style, panache as Araoyinbo bids mum farewell

 

Read the full statement below:

RIVERS STATE GOVERNMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

PRESS STATEMENT

 

**PEACE IS PRICELESS*

 

ADVERTISEMENT

MY DEAR GOOD PEOPLE OF RIVERS STATE.

I CONSIDER IT NECESSARY TO ISSUE THIS PRESS STATEMENT ON THE DEVELOPMENTS OF THE PAST FEW DAYS IN OUR DEAR STATE.

LATE ON SUNDAY NIGHT, 29TH OCTOBER 2023, I WAS INUNDATED WITH REPORTS THAT THE HALLOWED CHAMBER OF THE RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN GUTTED BY FIRE. THE BLAZE WAS PUT OUT BY THE FIRE SERVICE, AFTER WHICH SECURITY AGENCIES TOOK CONTROL OF THE SITUATION.

MY VISIT TO THE ASSEMBLY COMPLEX ON MONDAY, 30TH OCTOBER 2023 WAS TO ASSESS THE LEVEL OF DAMAGE AND UNDERTAKE REMEDIAL MEASURES TO PROTECT LIVES AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE ASSEMBLY COMPLEX. I CHARGED THE SECURITY AGENCIES TO THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATE THE INCIDENT AND REPORT TO ME.

SHORTLY AFTER, I GOT REPORTS THAT THE STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY HAD BROKEN INTO TWO FACTIONS: ONE CLAIMING TO HAVE IMPEACHED AND SUSPENDED THE HOUSE LEADER AND 3 OTHERS PREPARATORY TO INITIATING AN IMPEACHMENT ACTION AGAINST ME, AND THE OTHER RIVAL FACTION IMPEACHING THE SPEAKER AND DEPUTY SPEAKER, THUS SPARKING OFF SOME FORM OF POLITICAL CRISIS.

READ  Anambra governorship: Court reinstates Soludo as APGA’s candidate

I WISH TO THANK THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, HIS EXCELLENCY BOLA AHMED TINUBU, GCFR, FOR HIS FATHERLY INTERVENTION WHICH OPENED A SERIES OF COMMUNICATION CHANNELS TO FACILITATE THE TIMELY RESOLUTION OF THE FESTERING CRISES. I WISH TO ALSO THANK OUR ELDERS WHO ARE CURRENTLY INTERVENING IN THE MATTER.

LET ME CLEARLY STATE THAT MY ACTIONS ARE AIMED AT RESTORING PEACE AND STABILITY IN OUR STATE. I AM A MAN OF PEACE AND AS GOVERNOR, THE ADVANCEMENT OF OUR STATE IS MY PRIMARY CONCERN. CONSEQUENTLY, NO SACRIFICE IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO MAKE TO ACHIEVE THIS OBJECTIVE.

FURTHERMORE, IT IS THE COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE IMMEDIATE PAST GOVERNOR AND MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, HIS EXCELLENCY, CHIEF BARRISTER, EZENWO NYESOM WIKE, GSSRS, LIFE BENCHER AND MY HUMBLE SELF, TO LEVERAGE ON OUR POSITIONS AND INFLUENCES WITHIN AND OUTSIDE THE STATE TO ADVANCE THE PROGRESS, SECURITY AND WELL-BEING OF OUR PEOPLE.

READ  Atiku, Wike agree on pathway to reconciliation

WE MUST THEREFORE NOT ALLOW CIRCUMSTANCES THAT COULD RETARD ALL EFFORTS AT ACHIEVING GREATNESS FOR OUR PEOPLE TO PREVAIL.

ON MY PART, I AM ALWAYS WILLING AND READY TO EMBRACE THE PATH TO LASTING PEACE AND TRANQUILITY WITH A COMMITMENT TO CONSUMMATING ALL EFFORTS AND INITIATIVES BY MR. PRESIDENT AND OTHER WELL-MEANING NIGERIANS, INCLUDING MY BROTHER GOVERNORS AND THE ELDERS.

I ASSURE THE GOOD PEOPLE AND YOUTHS OF RIVERS STATE, THAT PEACE WILL CERTAINLY PREVAIL AND WE SHALL CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER TO ADVANCE THE PEACE, SECURITY, PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT OF OUR STATE.

AS GOVERNOR, I SINCERELY APOLOGISE TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF RIVERS STATE FOR THE REGRETTABLE ANXIETIES OF THE LAST FEW DAYS, WHILE THANKING YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONCERNS, AND CONTINUED SUPPORT, LOVE, AND PRAYERS.

MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS OUR DEAR RIVERS STATE.

 

 

Signed

 

HIS EXCELLENCY,

SIR SIMINALAYI FUBARA, GSSRS,

GOVERNOR OF RIVERS STATE.

3RD NOVEMBER, 2023.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Oil theft: Army uncovers 40 illegal oil wells in Rivers

Published

on

By

 

The Nigerian Army has made a startling discovery of over 40 illegal crude oil wells in Rumuekpe community, in the Emohua Local Government Area of Rivers State.

 

The illegal oil wells were discovered on Wednesday during an operation led by the General Officer Commanding, Nigerian Army 6 Division, General Jamal Abdusallam.

 

Speaking to Journalists shortly after the operation, Major General Abdusallam noted that the wells which are approximately 40 feet deep, represent a new tactic employed by criminals to siphon crude oil from underground reserves.

Major General Abdusallam emphasised the significance of this discovery in the fight against oil theft and illegal bunkering in the Niger Delta.

 

According to him, the perpetrators devised a method of excavating deep into the ground to access crude oil deposits directly. He expressed concern over the danger posed by these activities to both the environment and individuals involved.

 

Major General Abdussalam also said he will notify relevant authorities and deploy troops to prevent further exploitation of the area.

READ  NDLEA intercepts Dubai-bound 442 parcels of Crystal Meth hidden in heads of smoked fish

 

Several suspects were apprehended at the crime scene and are currently in military custody to enable further investigations.

 

One suspect, speaking anonymously, admitted that the wells were allegedly owned by various families in the community.

 

While describing the hazardous process of digging, the suspect highlighted the risks involved, including gas inhalation and suffocation.

 

The suspect revealed that individuals involved in the operation were paid around N40,000 to excavate a well, emphasizing the communal ownership of the resource and the perilous nature of their endeavors.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu’s visit: Akinterinwa’s Campaign Organsation accuses Aiyedatiwa of unleashing terror on citizens

Published

on

By

 

The Campaign Organsation of the frontline governorship aspirant in the November gubernatorial election in Ondo State, Adewale Akinterinwa, has accused Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of using suspected political thugs to unleash terror during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to the state on Wednesday.

President Tinubu was in Ondo State where he paid a condolence visit to the family of the late former Governor of the State, Rotimi Akeredolu.

According to statement by the spokesperson of Akinterinwa’s Campaign Organsation, Segun Ajiboye, suspected thugs loyal to the governor unleashed violence on the citizens and destroyed billboards of political opponents of the governor.

 

It will be recalled that the campaign organisation had on Tuesday accused the governor of preventing All Progressives Congress APC members from accessing the venue of the president’s visit expressed sadness over the return of thuggery to the political space the State.

 

The campaign organisation said “On Wednesday, February 28, thugs sponsored by the governor of Ondo state, Mr Lucky Ayedatiwa, descended on the peaceful people of the state who had turned out in large number to receive President Bola Tinubu, GCFR, to the sunshine State.

READ  Election tribunal dismisses LP’s petition challenging Fubara’s victory

 

“The thugs, fully loaded in unmarked vehicles, did not in any way hide their devilish intentions, as they went round major streets of Akure, destroying the bill boards of the other gubernatorial aspirants of the All Progressives Congress.

 

“The thugs fully armed with different types of guns, shot sporadically into the air to create fears in the people. Expectedly, thousands of supporters of the APC who had prepared to receive the president ran helter-skelter for dear lives.

 

“The ugly incident was coming barely 24 hours after the Wale Akinterinwa Campaign Structure raised the alarm about the dastardly activities by certain element acting for and on behalf of Lucky Orimisan Ayedatiwa to prevent members of the APC and leaders who are not in his camp to receive Mr President, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR during his visit to Akure.

 

“Today’s action by the thugs acting on the directives of Mr Governor is most undemocratic, disrespectful, unreasonable and disdainful attempt by any Chief executive in the anals of democracy in Nigeria.

READ  Femi Adesina: Why Buhari refused to release original WASC certificate

 

“This is a sad reminder of the wicked old days in the politics of our dear state. It marks an avoidable return to the dark days of hooliganism and political bandits in Ondo state.”

Continue Reading

News

Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: SIM-NIN linkage: NCC rules out extension, telcos bar 12 million lines

Published

on

By

 

1. The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, has ruled out an extension of the February 28, 2024, deadline for the linkage of Subscriber Identity Module cards to National Identification Numbers. As a result, telecommunication companies have been directed to bar 12 million lines which have not been linked to the owners’ NINs after the expiration of the deadline.

 

2. President Bola Tinubu, on Wednesday, appealed for patience from Nigerians over the current economic hardship in the country, giving the assurance that there was light at the end of the tunnel. The President said he was fully aware and took responsibility for the difficulties Nigerians had been subjected to on account of government policies.

 

3. The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, on Wednesday, said the importation of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol, into Nigeria has reduced by 50 per cent since the withdrawal of subsidy on the commodity.

READ  Wike revokes approval for Atiku campaign venue over alleged ‘plot to share facility with APC faction’

 

4. The military Joint Task Force, North-West Operation Hadarin Daji, said on Wednesday that it neutralised scores of bandits and rescued eight kidnapped victims in Zamfara State. The Information Officer of Operation Hadarin Daji, Lt. Col. Suleiman Omale, stated this in a statement on Wednesday in Gusau.

 

5. The war against illegal oil bunkering and oil theft received a huge boost on Wednesday as troops of the 6 Division, Nigerian Army, Port Harcourt, uncovered over 40 dugout crude oil wells in Rumuekpe community, Emohua Local Government Area of Rivers State. The troops uncovered the site during a sweep-and-clear operation on the Trans Niger Delta Pipeline.

 

6. Operatives of the Edo State Police Command have arrested five suspected cultists, Emeka Eke, Chizoba Okolie, Samson Ochonobor, Friday Agbebayo and Julius Eguasa, for engaging in a street fight in Edo State. It was gathered that the suspects, alleged to be members of the Eiye Confraternity, engaged in street fighting at the Ramat Park area over failure to pay monthly dues and attend meetings of Eiye confraternity.

READ  VGC-Ajah: Daring robbers operate in early-morning traffic

 

7. Two Binance executives — an American and a British- Pakistani — have been detained on the orders of National Security Adviser, NSA Nuhu Ribadu over alleged involvement in foreign exchange manipulations. It was learnt last night that the Federal Government obtained a Court Warrant to detain the men for 12 days, pending further investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

 

8. An Executive Order to “significantly reduce the cost of drugs and pharmaceutical products” in the country will soon be signed by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Health and Social Welfare Minister, Muhammed Pate stated these on Wednesday during the second edition of the Ministerial Press Briefing Series in Abuja.

 

9. Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) apologised yesterday to their subscribers for the service hitches they have experienced for some days. The MNOs, under the aegis of the Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators of Nigeria, ALTON, blamed the service disruptions on “severe fibre cuts” by contractors.

READ  Good morning! Here Are Major News Headlines In Nigerian Newspapers Today: Wike dares PDP to suspend him, says dissolution of Ekiti exco a tyranny

 

10. The Federal Government has allayed the fear of job loss with the implementation of the Oronsaye Report. Speaking at the fourth edition of the Ministerial Press Briefing Series in Abuja on Wednesday, Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, said the implementation of the report would not lead to retrenchment.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending News