Connect with us


Portable meets bail conditions, released from prison custody




Controversial hip hop artiste, Habeeb Okikiola, popularly known as Portable, has regained his freedom from the Ilaro Correctional Centre where he was remanded earlier on Monday.

An Ogun State Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ifo in the Ifo Local Government Area of Ogun State had earlier in the day granted him bail in the sum of N300, 000.

The state police command arraigned him on a five-count bordering on assault, among others.

He was accused of assaulting policemen who went to his bar for official duties.

Magistrate A.S Shoneye, while delivering his ruling on the application for bail by his counsel, Adodo Destiny, said the offences are bailable.

He ruled that the musician be granted bail with a bail bond of N300, 000, and two sureties who must reside within the jurisdiction of the court.

The magistrate, however, ruled that he be transferred to the Ilaro Correctional Centre, pending the time his bail conditions are met.

READ  Report yourself or face arrest, Ogun police order singer Portable over alleged gang beating

The spokesman for the Nigerian Correctional Service in the state, Victor Oyeleke, confirmed that the musician had perfected the bail conditions and left custody.

“He has perfected the bail conditions and he just left the custody,” Oyeleke told our correspondent.

The musician had earlier pleaded not guilty to all the charges preferred against him.

Some of the counts read, “That you, Badmus Habeebat

Okikiola, m, a.ka. Portable, and others now at large, on March 28, 2023, at 11am at Odogwu Bar, Oke-Osa, Ilogbo, Ifo in the Ifo Magisterial District did wilfully cause or inflict physical injury on one Inspector Hammed Moshood ‘m’ with your elbow on his nose which caused blood to gush out from his nose and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 4 (1) of the Violence Against Persons and Prohibition Laws of Ogun State of Nigeria, 2017.

“That you, Badmus Habeebat Okikiola, m, a.k.a Portable, on the same date, time and place in the aforementioned Magisterial District did resist being arrested by Inspector Hammed Moshood ‘m’, ASP Gregory Iyoha ‘m’, ASP Kunle Badmus ‘m’ after serving you with a police invitation letter on January 20, 2023, for the offences you committed when they were about to discharge their duty with a warrant of arrest on you thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 197 of the Criminal Code Laws of Ogun State of Nigeria, 2006.”

READ  Why I refused to perform at Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Concert – Portable

The case was adjourned till April 26 for the commencement of trial.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, while parading the musician before journalists at the command’s headquarters in Eleweran, Abeokuta on Friday, said he was arrested for allegedly assaulting one Osimusi Emmanuel.

Oyeyemi added that Portable also attacked and assaulted police officers who came to his bar to arrest him.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Why I refused to perform at Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Concert – Portable




Zazu crooner, Habeeb Okikiola, better known as Portable, on Friday, said he refused to perform at the Tinubu inauguration concert because the organisers of the concert offered him N5 million instead of N10m for his performance.

According to him, that was the reason why he failed to perform at the concert held to celebrate the inauguration of the president-elect, Bola Tinubu, in Abuja on Thursday night.

Sharing videos on his Instagram page, the Zazuu crooner wrote, “ZAzuu Them Dõn Rip Me oooh Na Me Sing Akoi TINUBU ✍🏻 Eja Loni Ibu 💰 Give What Belongs To ZAZUU To ZAZUU.

In one of the videos, he said, “Na me sing Akoi Tinubu o. No be Obi una dey vote for? Tinubu enter now those useless people una go dey perform there, no be me promote Tinubu?

“Na so them call my manager o. Say them want make I come perform for Abuja. Na 10 million them drop o, but na five million go reach portable hand. Na so I no gree, I tear the paper. I delete the number, you dey whine Jesus? Na hin no make me perform for Abuja o.”

READ  Viral video: Portable may face prosecution over unruly behaviour – Police

Many artistes like Wande Coal, KCee, and others performed at the concert, which Tinubu and his vice, Kashim Shettima, also attended.

Continue Reading


 Tina Turner’s cause of death revealed





Rock and Roll legend Tina Turner’s cause of death has been confirmed.

The 83-year-old died “peacefully” at her home in Kusnacht near Zurich in Switzerland on Wednesday 24 May.

But behind the scenes, the music legend had been battling high blood pressure and kidney failure.

And now her representative has confirmed that she died of natural causes, according to the Daily Mail.

It comes after reports that Tina was so ill she was ready to end her life until her husband Erwin Bach, 67, donated a kidney so she could have a transplant in 2017.

Tina had started making arrangements and signed up to assisted suicide group Exit before compatibility tests made a donation from her husband possible.

Erwin fully recovered from the operation but Tina had to continue taking strong doses of immunosuppressants.

Her faithful husband’s kind donation sadly wasn’t enough and Tina spent her last months feeling “nauseous and dizzy” as she was on “multiple prescriptions”‘ and “was scared a lot”.

READ  Portable sings into trouble with 'kuku do ritual'

Tina bravely opened up about her terrifying struggle with the “silent killer” of kidney disease before her death.

In her final months, Tina admitted she had refused to take conventional medicine for her hypertension and put herself “at great danger” by turning to homeopathic cures.

“I considered my body an invulnerable and indestructible bastion for way too long,” she told Show your Kidneys Love.

Tina suffered from hypertension (high blood pressure) for decades and was diagnosed in 1978 but admitted she “didn’t care much about it” and in 1985 she was put on daily medication.

It wasn’t until Tina suffered a stroke in 2009 because of her high blood pressure that she discovered her kidneys were suffering and had already lost 35 percent of their function.

Tina continued to take medication to control her high blood pressure but she became convinced the pills were making her worse.

“With time I developed a fatal dislike of these pills,” she said. “I remembered relishing life before I started taking them and wished I could be as clear headed and energetic as I used to be.”

READ  EFCC parades 37 cyber fraud suspects

A friend suggested she try a homeopathic doctor in France and she quickly replaced all of her conventional medication with homeopathic remedies – without seeking advice from her doctors.

“Rarely in my life had I been so wrong,” she said.

Tina’s uncontrolled high blood pressure wreaked havoc on her kidneys and her kidney disease reached its final stage.

“Thanks to my naivety I had ended up at the point where it was about life or death,” she said.

Tina was put on dialysis for nine months to survive.

“It was my only option, but it was depressing to be connected to a machine for hours,” she said.

Luckily her husband Erwin offered to donate one of his kidneys and Tina underwent a kidney transplant in 2017.

But that wasn’t the end of her struggles as her body tried to reject the donor kidney and she spent months in and out of hospital.

“The months after the transplantation were marked by a never ending up and down,” she said.

READ  Aisha Buhari visits family of late COAS Attahiru

This is when Tina’s health started to take a turn for the worse and she never fully recovered.

“I kept feeling nauseous and dizzy, forgot things, and was scared a lot,” she said.

Talking just weeks before her passing Tina said the problems were “still not quite resolved”.

She added: “I am on multiple prescriptions and take great care to follow my doctors’ orders meticulously. For I know that I can trust them and their therapies.”

In one of her final social media posts shared just weeks before her passing, Tina urged her fans to “show their kidneys love” as she marked World Kidney Day..

Continue Reading


Queen of Rock and Roll, Tina Turner dies at 83





Tina Turner, the dynamic rock and soul singer who rose from humble beginnings and overcame a notoriously abusive marriage to become one of the most popular female artists of all time, has died, her family announced in a statement on Wednesday. She was 83.

Turner died at her home in Küsnacht near Zurich, Switzerland.

“With her, the world loses a music legend and a role model,” her family said.

“With her music and her boundless passion for life, she enchanted millions of fans around the world and inspired the stars of tomorrow. Today we say goodbye to a dear friend who leaves us all her greatest work: her music. All our heartfelt compassion goes out to her family. Tina, we will miss you dearly,” a statement on her verified Facebook page read.

A riveting live performer, Turner had a string of R&B hits in the 1960s and early ’70s with her domineering and violent husband Ike Turner before she left him – fleeing their Dallas hotel room with 36 cents.

Her solo career floundered for years before she mounted a stunning comeback in 1984 with her multiplatinum album “Private Dancer” and its No. 1 hit, “What’s Love Got to Do With It.”

Before long Turner was a global superstar, commanding MTV with her spiky wigs, short skirts and famously long legs strutting across concert stages in three-inch heels.

Her talent earned her acclaim as the “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll,” while her resiliency made her a hero to battered women everywhere. When she sang of pain and heartache in her husky, full-throated voice, every word rang true.

Why Tina Turner said she left the US

“For a long time I felt like I was stuck, with no way out of the unhealthy situation I was in,” she told Harvard Business Review in 2021. “But then I had a series of encounters with different people who encouraged me … And once I could see myself clearly, I began to change, opening the way to confidence and courage. It took a few years, but finally I was able to stand up for my life and start anew.”

‘He knew I had potential to be a star’

She was born Anna Mae Bullock in 1939 to poor sharecroppers near Nutbush, Tennessee, a rural community north of Memphis that she later made famous in her autobiographical song, “Nutbush City Limits.” She spent her early years living with her grandmother after her parents split.

“We weren’t in poverty. We had food on the table. We just didn’t have fancy things, like bicycles,” Turner said in a 2005 interview with Oprah Winfrey.

“We were church people, so on Easter, we got all done up. I was very innocent and didn’t know much else. I knew the radio—B.B. King, country and western,” Turner said. “That’s about it. I didn’t know anything about being a star until the white people allowed us to come down and watch their television once a week.”

READ  Peter Obi explains why he dumped PDP, presidential primary, may join Labour party

Following the death of their grandmother in the 1950s, Turner and her sister Ruby moved to St. Louis, Missouri, to live with their mother.

It was in St. Louis that she began to visit some of the local clubs and met musician Ike Turner, whose band, Kings of Rhythm, were popular in the area. He recruited her at age 17 to join his band as a singer.

“Ike had to come to the house and ask Ma if it was OK for me to sing with him. He knew I had the potential to be a star. We were close, like brother and sister,” Turner told Winfrey. “On his off nights, we’d drive around town, and he would tell me about his life, his dreams. He told me that when he was young, people found him unattractive. That really hurt him. I felt bad for him. I thought, ‘I’ll never hurt you, Ike.’ I meant it. He was so nice to me then, but I did see the other side of him.”

She began performing as Tina Turner and, in 1960, they formed the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. Their relationship evolved and their son Ronnie was born that same year. They married in 1962 and raised four children, including two children from Ike’s previous relationships and Tina’s son, Craig, also from a previous relationship.

A brutal union

As Turner has stated in her autobiography and in interviews, the physical abuse began almost from the start.

Thin-skinned and mercurial, Ike Turner would fly into fits of rage at the slightest provocation, she said, adding that he would hit her with whatever was available – coat hangers, telephones, a wooden shoe stretcher, his fists.

Often, she said, he’d even beat her before they went onstage.

“He’d hit me in the ribs, and then always try to give me a black eye. He wanted his abuse to be seen. That was the shameful part,” Turner told Winfrey.

Tina sang lead on most of their songs with the help of female backup singers, while her husband remained in the background, usually on guitar. Their musical partnership yielded a string of R&B hits, including “A Fool In Love,” “Nutbush City Limits” and “Proud Mary,” their 1971 cover of a Creedence Clearwater Revival song, which reached No. 4 on the pop charts and won them a Grammy.

But offstage their marriage remained tumultuous, fueled in part by Ike Turner’s cocaine addiction.

READ  Why I refused to perform at Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Concert – Portable

“Another night we had a fight in the dressing room, and when I went onstage, my face was swollen,” she told Winfrey. “I think my nose was broken because blood was gushing into my mouth when I sang. Before, I’d been able to hide under makeup. But you can’t hide swelling.”

She stuck with Ike Turner for more than a decade, terrified of his temper and determined not to abandon him like others had.

But things came to a head in July 1976 when they flew to Dallas for a show. Turner wrote in her book that after a flight on the airplane, her husband began hitting her in a car on the way to their hotel. While he slept, she slipped out of their room, carrying only a Mobil credit card and 36 cents – “a quarter, a dime and a penny.”

She fled across a busy highway to a motel, where a sympathetic clerk saw her bloodied face and gave her a room. She then called a lawyer she knew, who arranged for a friend to pick her up and put her on an airplane back to Los Angeles.

“After my plane landed in California, my heart was in my ears. I was afraid Ike would be there because when I’d left once before, he tracked me down on a bus…” she told Oprah. “So when I got off that plane, I ran like mad. I said to myself, ‘If he’s here, I’m going to scream for the police. And I had one chant in my head: ‘I will die before I go back.’”

By then a friend had introduced Turner to Buddhism and its practice of chanting, which she credited with giving her the strength to leave her husband. Raised Baptist, Turner embraced Buddhism whole-heartedly in middle age and said its teachings changed her life.

“I came to understand that any achievement stems from inner change,” she told Harvard Business Review. “The more I studied Buddhist principles, the deeper I dug within myself and cleaned up whatever attitudes or habits were standing in my way.”

She and Ike were formally divorced in 1978 after a long legal battle. She wrote in her book that he retained most of the earnings and assets they had earned as a couple, while she cared for their four sons. The divorce almost ruined her financially, and for the next few years Turner performed on TV specials and in Las Vegas as she struggled to rebuild her career.

Her comeback gained momentum after she hired Australian manager Roger Davies in 1979. Rod Stewart invited her to perform “Hot Legs” with him on “Saturday Night Live” two years later, and in 1983, her cover of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” became a hit in England.

READ  Aisha Buhari visits family of late COAS Attahiru

Then came “Private Dancer,” which spawned three Top 10 hits, won her three Grammys and eventually sold more than 10 million copies. Although she didn’t like the song at first and had to be talked into recording it, “What’s Love Got to Do With It” made her, at 44, the oldest female artist to score a No. 1 hit.

In 1985, at the peak of her powers, she sang on the all-star charity single “We Are the World,” performed with Mick Jagger at the historic Live Aid concerts and co-starred in Mel Gibson’s post-apocalyptic film “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome,” scoring another hit with “We Don’t Need Another Hero,” a song from the movie.

The next year Turner chronicled her early career and abusive marriage in a best-selling memoir, “I, Tina,” which was adapted into a hit 1993 film, “What’s Love Got To Do With It,” starring Angela Bassett.

The hit albums, singles and sold-out concerts continued throughout the late ’80s and ‘90s, and Turner remained a popular live act well into the new millennium – especially in England.

Turner moved to Switzerland in the 1990s with German boyfriend Erwin Bach, an executive for her record company. He was 16 years younger. The pair married in 2013 after a 27-year romantic relationship and in 2022 bought a $76 million estate on Lake Zurich.

“I pay taxes here (in the US). My family is here,” she told CNN’s Larry King in 1997. “I left America because my (biggest) success was in another country and my boyfriend was in another country. Europe has been very supportive of my music.”

Ike and Tina Turner were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 and she was inducted as a solo artist in 2021. “Tina,” a musical based on her life story, opened on Broadway in 2018.

Turner is preceded in death by her two sons, Craig, who died in 2018, and Ronnie, in 2022.

“Some of the happiest moments in my life were the birth of my beautiful baby boys, Craig and Ronnie, and marrying my partner and soul mate, Erwin Bach,” she told NBC’s Today Show in 2021.

Professionally, she said, her happiest moments were performing live.

“One of my early career goals was to become the first Black woman to fill stadiums around the world,” she told NBC. “At the time, it seemed impossible. But I never gave up, and I’m so happy I made that dream come true.

Continue Reading

Trending News