Connect with us

Metro News

12 killed as explosion rocks oil tapping point in Rivers

Published

on

 

The Rivers police command says 12 persons have died after an explosion rocked a crude oil tapping point in Rumuekpe community in Emuoha local government area of the state.

Confirming the incident in a statement on Friday, Grace Iringe-Koko, the spokesperson for the command, said preliminary investigation indicated that the victims were scooping crude product when the site caught fire.

The tapping point is said to be on the Trans-Niger Delta Pipeline (TNP) that passed through the community.

“So far about 12 persons are believed to have bee burnt to death. The identities of the victims are still unknown,” she stated.

Iringe-Koko also said five vehicles and four tricycles were burnt to ashes at the explosion site.

Fyneface Dumnamene, environmentalist and executive director Youths and Environmental Advocacy Centre, also confirmed the incident in a statement seen by TheCable on Friday.

He said the explosion occurred at around 2am on Friday, when one of the buses carrying crude oil to another location for artisanal refining kickstarted its ignition system.

See also  Police arrest three teenagers for killing motorcyclist in Ogun

Dumnamene said the report of the incident was obtained through the centre’s crude oil spill alert system (COSAS) and members of its “one million youth volunteers network of human rights defenders and promoters in the Niger Delta” in the community.

The environmentalist added that the incident has left dozens, including women, dead and burnt beyond recognition.

He also said many vehicles and tricycles were burnt to ashes.

“All those who were at the exact tapping point in the “pit” got killed while some of those who had loaded the crude and waiting to load including women have been killed by the explosion,” Dumnamene said.

“Advocacy centre can confirm from the eyewitness information and other sources that confirmed the incident at the community that men of the Nigeria arm area (sic) already at the scene of the incident with the police said to be on the way to the scene making it difficult for photographs and videos to be taken.”

See also  Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: NDLEA intercepts 399 Kaduna-bound explosives

Below are amateur photos from the scene of explosion.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Terrorists release videos of abducted Ogbomoso school principal, teacher as they beg FG, Makinde for help

Published

on

By

Videos showing the principal and a teacher who were abducted from schools in Oriire LGA of Oyo state have been released by their abductors.

It would be recalled that suspected terrorists attacked Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and L.A. Primary School in Ogbomoso, all in Oriire LGA last Friday.

The Oyo police command said two people were killed during the attack on the schools. At least 45 schoolchildren and teachers were reportedly kidnapped during the incident.

The commissioner for information in Oyo state, Dotun Oyelade, said the kidnappers have been reportedly trapped in a section of the Old Oyo National Park.

In one of the trending videos, Alamu F.O, principal of Community High School, Esiele, narrated how gunmen invaded the school on Friday at about 9:30 am.

The principal said the staff members and students at the school were abducted during the attack.

See also  Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: NDLEA intercepts 399 Kaduna-bound explosives

“We have been here since Friday. I’m making this video to ask for help from everyone, starting from the Federal Government, Oyo state governor, Seyi Makinde, Christian Association of Nigeria, and all well-meaning Nigerians,” she pleaded.

“Come to our help and settle this thing peacefully so that our lives will not be lost.”

The background of the video shows that it was shot in a forest.

Another video shows a woman carrying a child on her back, who identified herself as Temitope, a worker at First Baptist Church, Yawota.

While in tears, she said the gunmen attacked the Baptist School on Friday and kidnapped the teachers and schoolchildren.

“Please help us. We need help. Tinubu, please help us. Our governor, Seyi Makinde, please help us. The children are here crying. Please help us so that we won’t waste our lives,” she said.

Continue Reading

Metro News

NDLEA intercepts ammunition concealed in bags of garri

Published

on

By

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency have intercepted a large cache of military-grade ammunition concealed inside bags of bags of garri during one of the agency’s anti-narcotics operations.

A suspect, Husaini Suleiman, 42, was arrested in connection with the ammunition during a raid operation at Dan Magaji area of Zaria town, Kaduna state.

The agency also discovered thousands of pills of tramadol 225mg hidden inside a keg of red oil in a separate interception.

In a statement released on Sunday, the agency’s spokesman, Femi Babafemi, disclosed that officers often come across other dangerous items while searching for illicit drugs and concealed narcotics.

The statement said, “In the course of our work searching for illicit drug concealment, we also stumble on other items that constitute threats to national security as it happened in the attached videos.

“In one instance, #ndlea_nigeria officers discovered a large cache of military grade ammunition in cassava flakes (garri) and in the second video, thousands of tramadol 225mg pills were found concealed in a keg of red oil.”

See also  PHOTOS: Gbajabiamila, Ganduje, Seyi Tinubu, others storm S’Court

Continue Reading

Metro News

Five killed, nine rescued as building collapses in Abuja

Published

on

By

Five people are reportedly killed after a building collapsed in the Durumi 3 area of Abuja, near the popular Gudu Market.

According to reports, the iincident occurred at about 9:00 a.m. on Saturday.

The Mandate Secretary for Health and Human Services in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Dr. Adedolapo Fasawe, who spoke on behalf of rescue agencies, confirmed that 15 people were pulled from the rubble.

According to Dr. Fasawe, nine victims were rescued alive, while five were confirmed dead. One person remains in critical condition.

Dr. Fasawe said preliminary findings by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) suggest that the developer may have compromised the quality of cement mixture used during construction.

She urged residents and developers intending to build in the nation’s capital to obtain the necessary approvals from the FCT Development Control before commencing construction.

See also  US Secretary of State Blinken arrives Nigeria, meets with Tinubu
Continue Reading

Trending News