Connect with us

Entertainment

Second victim dies after Asake London gig crush

Published

on

 

A second woman has died after being injured in a crush at a gig at London’s Brixton O2 Academy.

Gabrielle Hutchinson, 23, who was working as a security contractor that night, died in hospital in the early hours of Monday.

The concert, by Afro-pop singer Asake, was cut short on Thursday after a “large number of people” tried to force their way inside, the Met Police said.

Mother-of-two Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, east London, died on Saturday.

Rebecca Ikumelo

A 21-year-old woman remains in a critical condition in hospital following the crush at Asake’s third sold-out show at the south London venue last week.

The Met said: “At this time we have established that the three women who were critically injured, including Rebecca Ikumelo and Gabrielle Hutchinson who have tragically died, were all in the foyer of the building.”

It added detectives were “working hard to establish exactly what happened on Thursday night”, and described the investigation as “large and complex”.

See also  NDLEA arrests woman with fake pregnancy concealing 3,200 capsules of tramadol as Ivorian excretes 82 wraps of cocaine

Police are reviewing CCTV, phone footage, speaking to witnesses and conducting forensic examinations.

The first officers were reported to be on the scene at 21:11 GMT, seven minutes after they were called.

Videos on social media showed the crowd stretching from the road outside to the venue’s doors, one of which was smashed.

Ch Supt Colin Wingrove, policing commander for Lambeth and Southwark, said: “It is devastating news that a second person has lost their life following the events on Thursday.

“I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to Gabrielle’s family at this unimaginably difficult time.”

Florence Eshalomi, the MP for Vauxhall whose constituency includes Brixton, said she felt “utterly heartbroken” by the deaths of the two women.

He said: “Gabrielle, like Rebecca Ikumelo, had her whole life ahead of her and had every right to come home safe and well after her shift, working at Brixton Academy.”

Ms Ikumelo was a nursing graduate who had been attending the concert.

See also  It's payback time: How Atiku humiliated Jonathan, rejected his pleas in 2015 – Wike

Her cousin Babatunde Oyejide told the BBC she was a “true, special person” and encouraged people to send prayers to Ms Ikumelo’s partner and children.

He said: “She was a very loved person in the neighbourhood and a very caring person, family orientated. She is going to be truly missed and we love her forever.”

Asake, who had urged fans without tickets not to turn up at the venue before his first Brixton concert, released a statement following Ms Ikumelo’s death in which he said he was “devastated”.

“I am overwhelmed with grief and could never have imagined anything like this happening,” he wrote.

Academy Music Group, which owns and runs the venue, previously said its “thoughts are with everyone affected by this devastating news at this extremely difficult time”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

How I found out 2 of 5 children my wife had for me were not mine — Yoruba actor Mondusi

Published

on

By


Popular Yoruba actor, Abdul Salam Taofeek, better known in the industry as Tioruju Mondusi, has revealed how he discovered that two of the five children he raised were not biologically his.

The actor known for playing various characters, told African A List, in an interview, how his world began to crumble when he returned home from a film set to find his wife, who was heavily pregnant with their fifth child at the time, not at home. One of his children told him she had been gone for three days.

He recounted how he went to his mother-in-law’s house to report the matter. There, he saw a framed photo of his wife with another man hanging on the wall.

Mondusi said when he confronted her, she admitted that he was not the father of her unborn child. The revelation led to a serious fight between them.

He said he later learned that another man had signed the consent form for her cesarean section, a man he had previously seen at her shop but never suspected as a lover.

See also  NDLEA arrests woman with fake pregnancy concealing 3,200 capsules of tramadol as Ivorian excretes 82 wraps of cocaine

The actor said that after giving birth, his wife, now late, called him to come for the child, but he refused. According to him, undeterred, she showed up at his house with the baby and the other man.

“The person who offended me to the point that I questioned ‘why me’ is the mother of my children, but she is late now. I travelled to a location, and when I got back, she wasn’t at home. One of my children told me she had not been around for three days, and at the time she was nine months pregnant with our fifth child,” he said.

“I went to her mother’s house to report the situation, and when I got there, I saw a picture of her and another man hanging on the wall. I called her to confront her, and that was when she told me I was not the father of the unborn child. That led to a serious fight.

See also  Police probe Ekiti monarch, chief, others over stolen community electricity transformers

“When she gave birth through a CS, I was told it was another man who signed the consent form. I had met the man before at my wife’s shop, but I didn’t know they were having an affair. After giving birth, she called me again and asked me to come for my child, but because she had already told me I was not the father, I refused.

“She later brought the child to my house with the man she was having an affair with. I was very angry, so I called the police on them. At the police station, when she was asked who I was, she said I was the father of her children and that the other man was her husband.

“Meanwhile, the man was begging me to withdraw the case because his wife must not find out, as he was married with four children as well. We eventually left the police station, but I still did not accept the child.”

See also  It's payback time: How Atiku humiliated Jonathan, rejected his pleas in 2015 – Wike

He said that less than a month after involving the police, his wife served him court papers for divorce.

The actor said in court that she confessed that only three of the five children were actually his.

“Less than a month later, I received a court summons that my wife wanted a divorce, and I also agreed to it. It was in court that she confessed that, out of the five children she claimed were mine, only three were actually mine, while two belonged to the other man,” he added.

“She said the first, second, and fourth children were mine, meaning I was not the father of the third and fifth. Meanwhile, I was the one taking care of the children, doing their naming ceremonies, and even burying their placentas.

“She died last year, and I still feel deeply pained whenever I remember the situation.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Why Askarifuji Deserves More Accolades

Published

on

By

 

Before the approval of the then Inspector General Of Police, through a signal in April 1998, Alhaji Ishola Adeyinka aka “Askarifuji ” a batch of PMF 20, Ikeja, had been playing Fuji music side by side with Police job on a low key.

 

But as soon as he was granted an official approval Askarifuji came out with full force and debuted with an album titled “Loyalty” in 1998. And within a short period the album and its video became popular within and outside Nigeria .

 

After the release of the masterpiece, the brave and dynamic Askarifuji started using his music to campaign against crime and other societal vices. He was also using his music as a bridge between the Police and the general public ;Projecting the image of the police through his music.

 

Despite his busy schedule musically he was able to combine his official duty (Police) with music. To this end, he has served in so many departments of the police, such as Special Fraud Unit Milverton, ikoyi, Kano State CID, and State CID Panti Lagos among others.

See also  Four kidnapped UNIPORT students regain freedom

Apart from being an household name musically, he has also risen from the rank of a constable to Deputy Superintendent of Police. His efforts was also rewarded in his hometown, Ibadan, when he was installed as Mogaji Alare Agbejonku of the Agbejonku Royal Dynasty Ibadan, Oyo State on 3 October ,2023 by the late Oba Mohud Ishola Balogun. With the title of a Mogaji, Askarifuji could be an Olubadan in nearest future.

 


Askarifuji is a man of three parts, Crime Fighter, Musician and Cultural icon. He has released about 12 albums namely:Loyalty, Internet Fuji,Wetin You Carry, Live Wire, Authority, London Swagger Unmissable,Fuji Parade, Explosion, Innovation,Ibadan and Alaseju

 

As a talented musician, all his musical works contain one or two message which are either crime fighting or campaigning against social vices or some words of advice to both the young and the old.

 

After his installation as “Mogaji”, Askarifuji did a thorough research on Ibadan and came out with an album titled “Ibadan”. The album, with a musical video, did not only promote the town but came out to correct a lot of misconceptions about the town called Ibadan.

See also  Boko Haram: Army recalls soldiers in schools to frontline

The video, which has been showing constantly on African Magic, has been receiving accolades from viewers, both home and abroad. His latest single titled “Alaseju” is a campaign against disobedient children.

 

In recognition of the immense contribution of Askarifuji to Ibadan and the whole nation in general, the Central council of Ibadan Indegenes decorated him with an award ‘The Champion of Ibadan Culture “

 

With accolades coming from CCII and other groups, people believe that the Nigeria Police, the Olubadan in council and the Governor of Oyo State can do more by honouring a policeman per excellence, musician and cultural ambassador in order for him to do more.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Allwell Ademola: Family mourns a ‘beloved sister’

Published

on

By

Following reports of her sudden death on Saturday, December 27, 2025, the family of late actress Allwell Ademola has released an official statement confirming her death.

The statement, shared by her friend and colleague, Rotimi Salami, clarified that Ademola was 49 years old at the time of her death.

This followed earlier reports within the entertainment industry, which had claimed that the actress died at the age of 43 after reportedly suffering a heart attack at her residence before being taken to the hospital.

The family expressed appreciation for the outpouring of love, prayers, and condolence messages from colleagues, friends, and well-wishers, noting that the support has been a great source of strength during the difficult period.

In the statement signed by Adegboyega Adebayo, the family described Ademola as a gifted and passionate creative who touched many lives through her art, talent and dedication to the creative industry.

The statement reads, “On Behalf of the Ademola family, with heavy hearts and total submission to the will of God, we announce the passing of our beloved sister, mother, and aunt, Princess Allwell Ademola, who departed this life on Saturday, the 27th day of December, 2025, at the age of 49.

See also  Boniface, Lookman lead Super Eagles attack against Libya

“Princess Allwell Ademola, a proud daughter of the great Ademola Family of Ogun State (Great-granddaughter of ALAKE of Egba land), who was a gifted and passionate creative. From childhood until her passing, she distinguished herself as a thespian, actor, singer, and filmmaker, touching many lives through her art, talent, and unwavering dedication to the creative industry.

“The Ademola family sincerely appreciates the overwhelming love, prayers, and messages of condolence from her colleagues, friends, and well-wishers across the world during this difficult time. Your support has been a great source of strength to us.

“May her gentle soul rest in perfect peace, and may God grant us all the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

“Further details regarding burial arrangements will be communicated in due course. Signed, Adegboyega Adebayo, For the Ademola family.”

Continue Reading

Trending News