Connect with us

Metro News

Court orders final forfeiture of N775m, properties linked to ex-accountant general Jonah Otunla

Published

on

 

Justice Donatus Okorowo of the Federal High Court Abuja has ordered the final forfeiture of N775 million and three properties linked to former Accountant General of the Federation Jonah Otunla and Colonel Bello Fadile, aide to ex-National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki.

Spokesman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Wilson Uwujaren, disclosed this in a statement on Monday, saying the money and properties are a product of illicit activities of the duo.

The properties are located at No. 8 Ajay Crowther Street, Asokoro, Abuja; a Plot of land at Plot 1960 Cadastral Zone A05 Maitama District, FCT, Abuja; a hotel which is under construction with generating set, located at Plot 621, Road 37, Gwarimpa, FCT, Abuja and a twin 4 bedroom duplex with guard quarters located at Plot 736, 7th Avenue Gwarimpa, FCT, Abuja.

According to the statement, EFCC counsel, Christopher Mshelia, moved a motion for the final forfeiture of the assets in court on Monday.

READ  Grandma, bizman docked for alleged impersonation, perjury

He informed the court that the assets recovered by the anti-graft agency in the course of investigating contract fraud in the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) under Sambo Dasuki, were proceeds of the unlawful activities of Colonel Fadile and Otunla.

EFCC spokesman said the N775 million was refunded by Otunla and Otunba Ade Adelakun (late) during the investigation, whilst the landed properties sought to be forfeited are “reasonably suspected to be proceeds of an unlawful activity received, retained, concealed and converted by the respondents from the office of the National Security Adviser to the President.”

The Commission had on July 20, 2020 secured an interim forfeiture order on the assets and also published the Order of the court on August 11, 2022, in a national newspaper, for the respondent to show cause why the money and properties should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

In granting the final forfeiture, Justice Okorowo said that the court was satisfied with the evidence before it and ordered the final forfeiture of the assets to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

READ  BREAKING: Yoruba nation agitators storm Akure

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Metro News

Police rescue two children abandoned by mothers in Lagos

Published

on

By

 

The Lagos State Police Command says operatives of the Rapid Response Squad unit in the state have rescued two children abandoned by their mothers in the Marina area of the state.

This is contained in a statement posted on its official Twitter handle on Friday.

The children were identified as five-year-old Chidara and three-year-old Shonton Chukwu.

The RRS said that the children were rescued on Thursday at about 6:00 p.m.

“Our patrol team at Marina saw two underage boys on the expressway about to be run over by speeding vehicles.

“The boys disclosed that their mother boarded a car and left them,” the command wrote.

The RRS said that the children had been taken to the Adeniji-Adele Police Division to be reunited with their parents.

READ  IPOB/ESN gunman, Ejike, 3 others killed in shootout with army
Continue Reading

Metro News

How Diezani shared $115m to politicians to compromise 2015 polls – EFCC

Published

on

By

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has said that its investigation shows that Diezani Alison-Madueke, a former minister of petroleum resources, allegedly gave politicians $115 million to compromise the 2015 elections.

Abdulrasheed Bawa, the EFCC chairperson, said this at an induction retreat for new resident electoral commissioners (INEC) in Lagos.

Bawa was represented by Adukwu Michael, the chief superintendent of the anti-graft agency.

Diezani was the minister of petroleum resources from 2010 to 2015 during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan

Shortly before Jonathan handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, she left the country.

The former minister is alleged to have stolen $2.5 billion from the Nigerian government while she was a minister.

She has, however, denied the allegations, while the EFCC has since commenced a process to extradite her.

The Federal Government had gained forfeiture of Diezani’s properties located in Banana Island Foreshore Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos, including 18 flats and six penthouses.

READ  Lover drags popular actress to court for refusing to marry him

‘OUR FOCUS IS TO DISCOURAGE USE OF MONEY TO INFLUENCE ELECTION’

The EFCC chairperson’s representative said some of the monies allegedly stolen by Diezani have been recovered by the agency.

He disclosed that the anti-graft agency is focusing on how to discourage vote buying.

“The commission’s focus in election management is discouraging the use of money to influence the outcome of election,” THISDAY quoted him as saying.

“Electoral spending by politicians often leads to voter inducement and vote buying.

“Parties often induce voter with money because they lack proper and realistic policies to convince the electorate to vote them into power.

“Whenever one is induced to sell his vote, he automatically loses moral ground to challenge corrupt tendencies of those elected.

“In the 2015 discreet investigation, the commission was able to uncover a grand plan to compromise the 2015 general election through massive cash payments to politicians.

“$115 million was paid out to politicians by former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madukwe, to compromise the election.

READ  Recruitment: NDLEA releases final list of successful candidates

“Some of the money was recovered while many of the culprits are being prosecuted with few convictions recorded. At the heart of EFCC strategy to curb voter inducement is inter-agency collaboration and information sharing.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, many injured

Published

on

By

Some unknown gunmen, early Friday morning attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

According to some residents, the attack took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.
According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

READ  Man kills lover, newborn, dumps corpses in sewage

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.
“However, the police have commenced an investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading

Trending News