Connect with us

Metro News

Five killed as soldiers, gunmen clash in Soludo’s hometown

Published

on

 

At least five persons were reportedly killed in a clash between men of the Nigerian military and some unidentified assailants in Isuofia community, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State.

According to reports, the gunmen who were large in number attacked the military checkpoint located at the Afor-Uzo Junction in Isuofia, Saturday morning.

Sources claimed that about two soldiers and four of the gunmen were killed in the fierce battle, however, the police said five of the gunmen were neutralised.

Isuofia is the hometown of the state governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo.

It was gathered that the hoodlums gained access into Isuofia community through a direct entrance by Umuona community.

The source said the hoodlums first attacked the soldiers and killed two of them before the army gave them a chase and neutralised four of them in the process.

Confirming the incident, the state police spokesman, Tochukwu Ikenga, said the hoodlums were repelled through a joint security team of the military, police and other security agencies.

READ  Why royal tradition forbids King Charles and Prince William from traveling together

Ikenga, however, said one Toyota Venza jeep has been recovered as the joint task force intensify patrol within the isuofia community.

He said, “Anambra State security forces comprising the military, police and other security agencies neutralised five unknown gunmen in Umuona, Isuofia, Aguata LGA and recovered one grey Toyota Venza jeep with registration number KRD 344 BT.

“This followed a distress call at about 10:30am today November 12, 2022 along Afor market in Isuofia, where some hoodlums attacked a security checkpoint in the area.

“The joint forces responded swiftly, engaged the hoodlums in a gun duel and neutralised five of the armed men while others escaped with dark blue Lexus 470 jeep without plate number from the scene with bullet wounds.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng, while charging the operatives to sustain the tempo against the onslaught on criminal elements, ordered intensified patrols and improved operational positioning to respond to distress calls in the state.

READ  KEEP WAITING: Anita Joseph mocks people wishing for her marriage to crash

“Further details shall be communicated please as operations is still ongoing.”

Also, the state Commissioner for Information, Paul Nwosu, in his reaction, said a gang of gunmen struck the Nigerian Army checkpoint at Afor-Uzo Junction, Isuofia but were unfortunately neutralised by security agents.

“The Government of Anambra State wishes to reassure the people of their safety, especially during this yuletide season.

“If you see something; please say something to help our vigilant security agents protect you better. Call: 09017280990, 07039896429, 09167514891, 09076237441, 09168041120, 08093175528, 08124153139. Let’s take back our state,” he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Metro News

Police rescue two children abandoned by mothers in Lagos

Published

on

By

 

The Lagos State Police Command says operatives of the Rapid Response Squad unit in the state have rescued two children abandoned by their mothers in the Marina area of the state.

This is contained in a statement posted on its official Twitter handle on Friday.

The children were identified as five-year-old Chidara and three-year-old Shonton Chukwu.

The RRS said that the children were rescued on Thursday at about 6:00 p.m.

“Our patrol team at Marina saw two underage boys on the expressway about to be run over by speeding vehicles.

“The boys disclosed that their mother boarded a car and left them,” the command wrote.

The RRS said that the children had been taken to the Adeniji-Adele Police Division to be reunited with their parents.

READ  The man Usifo Ataga: What you probably didn’t know about murdered Super TV boss
Continue Reading

Metro News

How Diezani shared $115m to politicians to compromise 2015 polls – EFCC

Published

on

By

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has said that its investigation shows that Diezani Alison-Madueke, a former minister of petroleum resources, allegedly gave politicians $115 million to compromise the 2015 elections.

Abdulrasheed Bawa, the EFCC chairperson, said this at an induction retreat for new resident electoral commissioners (INEC) in Lagos.

Bawa was represented by Adukwu Michael, the chief superintendent of the anti-graft agency.

Diezani was the minister of petroleum resources from 2010 to 2015 during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan

Shortly before Jonathan handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, she left the country.

The former minister is alleged to have stolen $2.5 billion from the Nigerian government while she was a minister.

She has, however, denied the allegations, while the EFCC has since commenced a process to extradite her.

The Federal Government had gained forfeiture of Diezani’s properties located in Banana Island Foreshore Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos, including 18 flats and six penthouses.

READ  KEEP WAITING: Anita Joseph mocks people wishing for her marriage to crash

‘OUR FOCUS IS TO DISCOURAGE USE OF MONEY TO INFLUENCE ELECTION’

The EFCC chairperson’s representative said some of the monies allegedly stolen by Diezani have been recovered by the agency.

He disclosed that the anti-graft agency is focusing on how to discourage vote buying.

“The commission’s focus in election management is discouraging the use of money to influence the outcome of election,” THISDAY quoted him as saying.

“Electoral spending by politicians often leads to voter inducement and vote buying.

“Parties often induce voter with money because they lack proper and realistic policies to convince the electorate to vote them into power.

“Whenever one is induced to sell his vote, he automatically loses moral ground to challenge corrupt tendencies of those elected.

“In the 2015 discreet investigation, the commission was able to uncover a grand plan to compromise the 2015 general election through massive cash payments to politicians.

“$115 million was paid out to politicians by former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madukwe, to compromise the election.

READ  The man Usifo Ataga: What you probably didn’t know about murdered Super TV boss

“Some of the money was recovered while many of the culprits are being prosecuted with few convictions recorded. At the heart of EFCC strategy to curb voter inducement is inter-agency collaboration and information sharing.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, many injured

Published

on

By

Some unknown gunmen, early Friday morning attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

According to some residents, the attack took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.
According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

READ  Why royal tradition forbids King Charles and Prince William from traveling together

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.
“However, the police have commenced an investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading

Trending News