Connect with us

Metro News

Police arrest hotelier, Yahoo boy, two others for allegedly killing woman for ritual

Published

on

 

The Ogun State Police Command says its men have arrested four men over the disappearance of a 36-year-old woman, Aminat Adebayo, who went missing about two months ago.

The suspects, Azeez Raimi, 21; Saheed Yusuf, 33; Michael Awodero, 27; and Soneye Lateef, 39, were arrested following a complaint lodged at the Sagamu divisional police headquarters by the elder brother of the victim, Ahmed Adebayo.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, in a statement on Thursday, said Ahmed told the police that his younger sister left home on September 15 and her whereabouts had been unknown since then.

The PPRO said, “In compliance with the CP’s directive, the SP Taiwo Opadiran-led team embarked on technical and intelligence-based investigation, which led them to a hotelier, Soneye Lateef, in whose facility the victim was seen last.

“On interrogation, the hotelier admitted that the missing woman was in his hotel on that day at the invitation of her friend, Bose Fajebe, who came to the hotel with her boyfriend.

READ  Dreams unfulfilled: World’s oldest primary school pupil dies in Kenya aged 99

“The said Bose Fajebe invited the missing woman to join them, but as soon as she arrived, the hotelier picked interest in her and started having a romantic discussion with her.

“While the two of them were discussing, Bose and her boyfriend left.

“The hotelier further explained that the missing woman also left not quite long after and later in the night, he also left the hotel with two of his friends, namely Saheed Yusuf and Michael Awodero, to meet a herbalist, Azeez Raimi, who was to carry out an Ifa divination ritual for them and that they were all at the shrine throughout the night.”

Oyeyemi explained that contrary to the claim by the hotelier that the missing woman was not with them at the shrine, the Ifa priest confirmed that he saw the woman in the vehicle with Lateef and Yusuf outside the shrine.

The PPRO added that the priest insisted that the two men later left with the woman.

READ  Man kills 71-year-old woman, sells body parts to ritualist

According to Oyeyemi, the herbalist said they went back the following morning without the woman.

Oyeyemi said, “He also gave a vivid description of the woman he saw, and when her photograph was shown to him, he confirmed it as the woman he saw with Soneye Lateef and Saheed Yusuf.

“Michael Awodero also corroborated the herbalist’s statement that they were all at the shrine throughout the night, but the hotelier and his friend, Saheed, who is an Internet fraudster, left the shrine with the woman in the night and came back in the morning without her. Further investigation revealed that the woman must have been used for a ritual purpose.”

The police spokesman said the state Commissioner of Police, Lanre Bankole, had ordered that the suspects be prosecuted.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Metro News

Police rescue two children abandoned by mothers in Lagos

Published

on

By

 

The Lagos State Police Command says operatives of the Rapid Response Squad unit in the state have rescued two children abandoned by their mothers in the Marina area of the state.

This is contained in a statement posted on its official Twitter handle on Friday.

The children were identified as five-year-old Chidara and three-year-old Shonton Chukwu.

The RRS said that the children were rescued on Thursday at about 6:00 p.m.

“Our patrol team at Marina saw two underage boys on the expressway about to be run over by speeding vehicles.

“The boys disclosed that their mother boarded a car and left them,” the command wrote.

The RRS said that the children had been taken to the Adeniji-Adele Police Division to be reunited with their parents.

READ  5,890 Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered, says DHQ
Continue Reading

Metro News

How Diezani shared $115m to politicians to compromise 2015 polls – EFCC

Published

on

By

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has said that its investigation shows that Diezani Alison-Madueke, a former minister of petroleum resources, allegedly gave politicians $115 million to compromise the 2015 elections.

Abdulrasheed Bawa, the EFCC chairperson, said this at an induction retreat for new resident electoral commissioners (INEC) in Lagos.

Bawa was represented by Adukwu Michael, the chief superintendent of the anti-graft agency.

Diezani was the minister of petroleum resources from 2010 to 2015 during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan

Shortly before Jonathan handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, she left the country.

The former minister is alleged to have stolen $2.5 billion from the Nigerian government while she was a minister.

She has, however, denied the allegations, while the EFCC has since commenced a process to extradite her.

The Federal Government had gained forfeiture of Diezani’s properties located in Banana Island Foreshore Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos, including 18 flats and six penthouses.

READ  Man kills 71-year-old woman, sells body parts to ritualist

‘OUR FOCUS IS TO DISCOURAGE USE OF MONEY TO INFLUENCE ELECTION’

The EFCC chairperson’s representative said some of the monies allegedly stolen by Diezani have been recovered by the agency.

He disclosed that the anti-graft agency is focusing on how to discourage vote buying.

“The commission’s focus in election management is discouraging the use of money to influence the outcome of election,” THISDAY quoted him as saying.

“Electoral spending by politicians often leads to voter inducement and vote buying.

“Parties often induce voter with money because they lack proper and realistic policies to convince the electorate to vote them into power.

“Whenever one is induced to sell his vote, he automatically loses moral ground to challenge corrupt tendencies of those elected.

“In the 2015 discreet investigation, the commission was able to uncover a grand plan to compromise the 2015 general election through massive cash payments to politicians.

“$115 million was paid out to politicians by former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madukwe, to compromise the election.

READ  The beautiful bride: PDP sets up committee to beg Wike

“Some of the money was recovered while many of the culprits are being prosecuted with few convictions recorded. At the heart of EFCC strategy to curb voter inducement is inter-agency collaboration and information sharing.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, many injured

Published

on

By

Some unknown gunmen, early Friday morning attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

According to some residents, the attack took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.
According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

READ  FCT not under attack by terrorists —Police

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.
“However, the police have commenced an investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading

Trending News