Connect with us

News

Alleged corruption: Immigration sacks 8 personnel, redeploys 100 from Lagos airport

Published

on

 

The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) has taken punitive action against 26 personnel for engaging in corrupt practices.

In a statement released on Friday by Kenneth Kure, NIS spokesperson, eight personnel were said to be dismissed while 18 were sanctioned.

Isah Idris, the comptroller general of immigration, said the personnel were sacked following the approval granted by the Civil Defence, Correctional, Fire and Immigration Services Board (CDCFIB).

He said the disciplinary action taken by the service was necessary following gross unbecoming and unacceptable acts by some members of the service.

 

“After exhaustive deliberations by the committees, eight personnel comprising one chief superintendent of immigration (CSI), two deputy superintendents of immigration (DSI), two assistant superintendents of immigration II (ASI2) and three rank and file were summarily dismissed from the service,” the statement reads.

“Furthermore, one other chief superintendent of immigration was ordered to proceed on compulsory retirement while nine other personnel were demoted in rank.

READ  Buhari congratulates Akeredolu over Supreme Court win

“They include one assistant superintendent of immigration II (ASI2) who has been demoted to the rank of inspector of immigration, two inspectors who have been reduced in rank to assistant inspectors and six other junior personnel who have been ordered to lose their current ranks.

 

“Meanwhile, nine other personnel comprising one assistant superintendent of immigration II (ASI2) and eight junior personnel were issued warning letters just as six personnel were discharged and acquitted from all the allegations brought against them.”

According to the statement, Idris also approved the redeployment of 100 officers from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) with immediate effect while some others have been ordered to face disciplinary procedures to ascertain their level of involvements in some unprofessional conducts reported at the airport recently.

The development comes months after the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) banned two immigration officials from working in any Nigerian airport after they extorted a 14-year-old girl at the Lagos airport.

READ  Warri succession crisis: I’m next to Olu, Ologbotsere Emami insists

Earlier in the year, 35 personnel were presented before the senior disciplinary committee (SDC) and orderly room trial (ORT) to ascertain their level of culpability in various allegations of offences ranging from employment racketeering, sharp practices, dishonest conducts, absent from duty without official leave (AWOL), among others.

 

The NIS urged the public to report any form of unprofessional practices by its personnel, adding that the service has zero tolerance for unethical conducts.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Former President Jonathan accepts ambassadorial role

Published

on

By

 

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has been accepted as Africa’s Agricultural Technology Ambassador by the African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF).

Making the announcement after meeting with the former President in Yenagoa, Bayelsa South-south during the week, the AATF Executive Director, Dr Canisius Kanangire, said the appointment was informed by the former President’s track record of championing agricultural transformation on the continent.

AATF, in a statement by its Communications Officer, Alex Abutu, described Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as a Nigerian politician who served as the President of Nigeria from 2010 to 2015 and had since been at the forefront of agricultural improvement on the continent.

In his acceptance speech, Dr Jonathan said that as a former Head of State, his interest in serving the continent is driven by the interest he has in driving food security and transformation for a better quality of life in Africa.

Kanangire said: “Dr Jonathan’s commitment to uplift agriculture on the continent was exemplified by the Agricultural Transformation Agenda he pursued and diligently implemented in Nigeria during his tenure as President.

READ  Ikoyi building collapse: Developer, friend’s dead bodies recovered, as death toll hits 40

“The agenda targeted increasing efficiency and profitability in about 12 selected key agricultural commodities, which include: cotton, cocoa, cassava, oil palm, maize, soya bean, onion, rice, livestock, fisheries, tomato and sorghum.

“Under the agenda, about 3.5 million new jobs were created based on the selected key products, while many more jobs were created from other value chain activities, with over N300 billion of additional income in the hands of Nigerian farmers and rural entrepreneurs. In addition, over N60 billion (US$380 million) was injected into the economy from the substitution of 20% of bread wheat flour with cassava flour.

“Another critical element of Dr Goodluck’s agricultural legacy as President of Nigeria was his ability to cut down on the importation of food that can be produced locally, thereby, saving the nation well over N1.3 trillion per annum on the importation of foodstuff.

“Dr Jonathan was able to demonstrate in Nigeria that agriculture should be treated as a business and supported by relevant policies for the improvement of the livelihoods of our growing farming population.”

READ  I enjoy it when hubby spanks my bum – Anita Joseph

AATF’s boss further said that Dr Jonathan is a Pan-Africanist who had stood for the eradication of rural poverty and the peaceful coexistence of the continent, hence his involvement in peaceful conflict resolution on the continent.

“As AATF’s Ambassador, Dr Jonathan will advocate for the advancement of Africa’s agricultural goals and economic growth through the application of innovative technologies and enhanced investment in agriculture. AATF is honoured to have the former president as our Ambassador, whose role will accelerate ongoing efforts to improve our agricultural terrain.”

Continue Reading

News

Wike, Ortom challenge Buhari to expose governors stealing LG funds

Published

on

By

 

Nyesom Wike and Samuel Ortom, governors of Rivers and Benue states, have challenged President Muhammadu Buhari to expose Nigerian governors responsible for stealing local government funds.

The governors, who are part of the five Integrity Governors among the governors of the Peoples Democratic Party, threw the challenge to the President on Friday during the inauguration of the Mgbuosimini Internal Roads in Rivers State.

President Buhari had earlier in a speech at the presidential parley for members of the Senior Executive Course 44 (2022) of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) at the State House, said that state governors steal allocations meant for local governments.

But reacting to the allegation, Governor Wike denied ever taking funds meant for the local government since he assumed office as governor in 2015. He challenged the president to name governors that are doing that as his statement could be termed class defamation.

READ  Ikoyi building collapse: Developer, friend’s dead bodies recovered, as death toll hits 40

“I want to challenge Mr. President, Mr. President you are a leader and we believe as leaders you must come out and tell Nigerians, who are those committing this offence? You said the governors are taking local government funds, I want to say in the name of Almighty God I have never touched local government funds one day, I have never and I have no reason to do that.

“So Mr. President who are those people? You know them, tell us. It is not good to say what you call class defamation, you say, governors, please I am not one of those governors, so Mr. President please spare me, tell Nigerians that the Integrity governors are not part of them, we have integrity, we are not part of them,” Wike said.

He added that as local government Chairman under Governor Peter Odili, his funds were never touched by the governor and therefore he has no reason to tamper with any money meant for local governments as governor.

READ  Gunmen kill 3 policemen, 2 vigilantes in Niger ambush

Corroborating his colleague’s remark, Governor Ortom also denied touching funds meant for local government, saying that their funds go to them directly from the federation account.

Ortom said, “It is a logical fallacy to say that all governors are criminals; all governors are stealing from local government. I join governor Wike to say from 2015, let EFCC come, let ICPC come, let every other agency that can unearth this, as far as Benue State is concerned let them bring it out so that we know the people, there is no point generalising that all of us are evil people.

“I don’t do it, I didn’t like it when the Federal Government enacted something and said local government should have financial autonomy, but from that day all monies are paid to the local government, and no single naira has been paid through anyone, all monies that come from the federation account go straight to the individual councils.”

READ  13-yr-old girl on her way to Libya intercepted in Kebbi

 

Continue Reading

News

Despite allure of office, I won’t take over from my father – Akeredolu’s son

Published

on

By

 

Babajide Akeredolu, son of Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Friday, dispelled rumours that he plans to take over from his father, Rotimi Akeredolu, after the expiration of the latter’s tenure.

He said despite the allure of office, he had several sectors where he could venture into and become extremely successful than being in government.

Babajide, who is currently a Special Adviser and Director-General, Performance and Project Implementation Unit, Office of the Governor of Ondo State, revealed this at a press conference in Lagos State.

He said, “I don’t have any plan to run for office. It is interesting people speculate this, but I have multiple pathways to success. I don’t need to stay in government to be successful.

“Power is never something that gingers the Akeredolu family. I’m not looking for that (governor’s seat), but I’m just looking for opportunities to make young people thrive.

“I have never thought of being a governor. That thing is stressful and I don’t want to go through it. People that are build for that, I wish them well.”

READ  I enjoy it when hubby spanks my bum – Anita Joseph

He added, “There are multiple cards to success for me. I am lucky I have a strong surname with a lot of options before me. So, I really don’t bother about what’s coming next, but I just focus on the present and how I can help the younger generations.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending News