Connect with us

Metro News

Why we refused to pay lottery ‘winner’ Sunday Nwachukwu his N72.7m claim — Green Lotto

Published

on

A lottery company, Green Lotto, has explained its decision not to pay one Sunday Nwachukwu his winning claim of N72.7 million after playing one of its games.

The lottery firm said the decision was hinged on the fact that the claimant allegedly engaged in irregularities, hence he does not deserve the money in question, adding that the matter was already before a court of law, hence it will not join issues with Nwachukwu.

It would be recalled that Green Lotto was dragged before the Lagos State High Court sitting at the Tafawa Balewa Square over its refusal to pay Nwachukwu his winning sum of N72,200,000.

Green Lotto is organised by a company, Brentwood Multiservices Global Limited based in Ikorodu, Lagos.

The complainant, who testified before Justice Modupe Nicol-Clay, last Thursday, told the court that on January 29, 2021, he played a game with N330,000 and when the result came out, he won the game, but the defendants refused to pay him the winning sum.

READ  Again, Senate approves Buhari’s $16bn, €1bn loans request

But, reacting to the accusation of Nwachukwu yesterday, the management of Green Lotto in a statement by its Head, Brand and Marketing Communications, Imoudu Asekhame, said the company does not pay fraudulent winners or encourage cheating and fraud in gaming.

It is important to note that sometime in 2019, Mr Sunday Nwachukwu, won the sum of N58,800,000 (Fifty-eight Million, Eight Hundred Thousand Naira) from one of the games we offer and was duly paid his winnings despite our suspicion of some irregularities in his play.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Metro News

Police rescue two children abandoned by mothers in Lagos

Published

on

By

 

The Lagos State Police Command says operatives of the Rapid Response Squad unit in the state have rescued two children abandoned by their mothers in the Marina area of the state.

This is contained in a statement posted on its official Twitter handle on Friday.

The children were identified as five-year-old Chidara and three-year-old Shonton Chukwu.

The RRS said that the children were rescued on Thursday at about 6:00 p.m.

“Our patrol team at Marina saw two underage boys on the expressway about to be run over by speeding vehicles.

“The boys disclosed that their mother boarded a car and left them,” the command wrote.

The RRS said that the children had been taken to the Adeniji-Adele Police Division to be reunited with their parents.

READ  Labour shortage: Nigerians, others to benefit as Canada unveils plan to welcome 1.4m migrants by 2025
Continue Reading

Metro News

How Diezani shared $115m to politicians to compromise 2015 polls – EFCC

Published

on

By

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has said that its investigation shows that Diezani Alison-Madueke, a former minister of petroleum resources, allegedly gave politicians $115 million to compromise the 2015 elections.

Abdulrasheed Bawa, the EFCC chairperson, said this at an induction retreat for new resident electoral commissioners (INEC) in Lagos.

Bawa was represented by Adukwu Michael, the chief superintendent of the anti-graft agency.

Diezani was the minister of petroleum resources from 2010 to 2015 during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan

Shortly before Jonathan handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, she left the country.

The former minister is alleged to have stolen $2.5 billion from the Nigerian government while she was a minister.

She has, however, denied the allegations, while the EFCC has since commenced a process to extradite her.

The Federal Government had gained forfeiture of Diezani’s properties located in Banana Island Foreshore Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos, including 18 flats and six penthouses.

READ  Tambuwal confirms 43 deaths in Sokoto bandits’ attack

‘OUR FOCUS IS TO DISCOURAGE USE OF MONEY TO INFLUENCE ELECTION’

The EFCC chairperson’s representative said some of the monies allegedly stolen by Diezani have been recovered by the agency.

He disclosed that the anti-graft agency is focusing on how to discourage vote buying.

“The commission’s focus in election management is discouraging the use of money to influence the outcome of election,” THISDAY quoted him as saying.

“Electoral spending by politicians often leads to voter inducement and vote buying.

“Parties often induce voter with money because they lack proper and realistic policies to convince the electorate to vote them into power.

“Whenever one is induced to sell his vote, he automatically loses moral ground to challenge corrupt tendencies of those elected.

“In the 2015 discreet investigation, the commission was able to uncover a grand plan to compromise the 2015 general election through massive cash payments to politicians.

“$115 million was paid out to politicians by former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madukwe, to compromise the election.

READ  BREAKING: FG suspends Twitter operations in Nigeria

“Some of the money was recovered while many of the culprits are being prosecuted with few convictions recorded. At the heart of EFCC strategy to curb voter inducement is inter-agency collaboration and information sharing.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, many injured

Published

on

By

Some unknown gunmen, early Friday morning attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

According to some residents, the attack took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.
According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

READ  Nigeria’s unity negotiable, says Kingibe

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.
“However, the police have commenced an investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading

Trending News