Connect with us

Metro News

Hackers steal N523m from bank, transfer to 225 accounts

Published

on

 

Suspected fraudsters, during a three-day cyber-attack, have hacked a customer’s account domiciled in an old generation bank and fraudulently transferred N523,337,100 from the account to 18 different accounts in the same bank.

The spokesperson for the Police Special Fraud Unit in Ikoyi, Lagos State, SP Eyitayo Johnson, in a statement on Wednesday, said the suspects subsequently transferred the money from the 18 accounts into 225 other accounts domiciled in 22 other banks and financial institutions.

He said the coordinated cyber-attack was carried out on Saturday, April 23, till the early hours of Monday April 25, 2022, before business opened, adding that two suspects had been arrested in connection to the crime.

Johnson said, “The legal section of the Police Special Fraud Unit in Ikoyi-Lagos, headed by CSP E. A. Jackson, has successfully obtained an order of the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, for the preservation/forfeiture/attachment of a net sum of N523,337,100 fraudulently transferred by Internet fraudsters who hacked a customer’s account domiciled in one of the old-generation banks and posted the funds into 18 different accounts in the same bank before transmitting same to 225 other accounts in 22 banks/financial institutions.

READ  Fraudsters jailed for scamming Americans, others

“In the course of the investigation, the sum of N160,287,071.47 was recovered from different banks; with two suspects arrested, while operatives are following other leads in order to apprehend the remaining members of the syndicate. The suspects will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded.”

In another development, Johnson said the legal section of the unit charged one Sikiru Olayinka along with his company, Excampo Nigeria Limited, to the Federal High Court, Ikoyi-Lagos, for offences bordering on fraudulent conversion and stealing of $123,000.00 being money wrongly transferred into his company’s domiciliary account on September 5, 2018.

He said, “On receipt of the funds into his account, Sikiru Olawale, within hours, quickly visited the bank and transferred $120,000.00 in two tranches into accounts of his cronies. The bank made concerted efforts to recover the funds in order to channel same to the rightful account but Sikiru Olayinka refused and frustrated these efforts and continued to dissipate the money contrary to the provisions of Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act, 1991, and the Failed Banks Act, 1994.”

READ  Major haul: EFCC arrest 44 suspected Internet fraudsters in Lagos

Meanwhile, on Tuesday, September 15, 2022, Johnson said the PSFU arraigned one James Abidemi and his company, Diamondsmith De-Great Universal Petroleum Corporation, and others at large, before the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos for conspiracy and obtaining the sum of N396,999,080.00 by false pretences, fraudulent conversion and stealing.

He said, “The complainant is a consulting firm with prime focus in assisting clients to source and render payment services in foreign exchange for goods and services around the world.

“In furtherance to the memorandum of understanding between the consulting firm and the suspect, the suspect’s company, Diamondsmith De-Great Universal Petroleum, received the aforesaid sum in tranches, between May 23 to 28, 2022.

“The money was meant for the purchase of $688,000.00 at an exchange rate of N577 per US Dollar and was supposed to remit the same as $250,000.00, $325,000.00, $100,000.00 and $13,000.00 to specified beneficiaries in mainland China and Hong Kong.”

READ  EFCC arrests 56 suspected internet fraudsters in Ogun

Johnson said the suspect provided fake telexes as proof of remittance to foreign business partners of the complainant while the money was actually diverted to another member of the syndicate, a banker based in Ghana, who dispersed the funds to several other accomplices.

“Consequently, the PSFU has solicited the cooperation of INTERPOL to apprehend the remaining members of the syndicate that are outside Nigeria.

“The Commissioner of Police, SFU, Anyasinti Nneka, has advised banks and financial institutions on the need to increase their cyber-security surveillance, conduct routine background checks on staff who have login privileges that could be compromised to make banks porous to cyber-attacks.

“She equally enjoined the public on the need to investigate sources of unexpected inflows into their accounts. Where such funds are found to have been wrongly credited, the recipient should cooperate with their banks and make conscious efforts to reverse or re-route the same. Utilising such funds is a criminal offence,” the statement said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Metro News

84-year-old man rapes 8-yr-old child in Ogun

Published

on

By

 

Operatives of the Ogun State Police Command have arrested one 84-year-old Stephen Jack for allegedly defiling an eight-year-old girl (name withheld).

The state Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, disclosed this in a statement issued on Saturday in Abeokuta.

Oyeyemi said the octogenarian who resides at Okun Owa area of Ijebu Ode was arrested following a report lodged at Obalende divisional headquarters.

He said the girl’s father had told the police he discovered that his daughter was bleeding from her private part.

According to Oyeyemi, the father said when he asked the little girl why she was bleeding, she informed him that the suspect had sex with her.

Oyeyemi said the DPO Obalende division, Murphy Salami, immediately detailed his detectives to the scene, where the “randy old man” was apprehended.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the old man is a known pedophile in the area,” he said.

Oyeyemi said the victim had been taken to the General Hospital Ijebu Ode for medical treatment.

READ  EFCC arrests fraudster on FBI wanted list, three others over $100m fraud

He quoted the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Bankole, to have directed the transfer of the suspect to State Criminal Investigation Departments for more investigation and possible prosecution.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Troops kill 38 ISWAP, seven Boko Haram terrorists in Sambisa Forest, says DHQ

Published

on

By

 

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said that no fewer than 38 Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists were killed in the past two weeks in major onslaught against terrorists by troops in the dreaded Sambisa Forest in Borno State.

The DHQ said that troops in the various theatre of operations conducted several kinetic and non-kinetic operations with significant results recorded.

Director, Defence Media Operations (DMO), Maj.-Gen. Musa Danmadami, while briefing Defence Correspondents, yesterday, on the successes recorded, said that troops of Operation Hadin Kai had sustained aggressive operations to deny terrorists further freedom of action.

He said: “In furtherance to this, troops conducted fighting patrols, ambushes and clearance operations at communities, villages and towns in Kukawa, Monguno, Kaga, Dikwa, Biu, Damboa, Gwoza, Mafa, Konguda, Bama and Guzamala local councils, all in Borno State.

“Of significant was the neutralisation of two key Boko Haram Terrorists/ISWAP commanders on September 12 and 15, 2022, identified as Abu Asiya and Abu Ubaida (A Qaid), at Parisu and Sheruri general area in Sambisa Forest respectively.

READ  Supreme Court ruling validates Buni-led caretaker committee, says APC

“Consequently, within the period in review, troops neutralised 36 terrorists, rescued 130 civilians and arrested 46 suspected Boko Haram terrorists as well as 12 suspected Boko Haram terrorists/ISWAP logistic suppliers.

Furthermore, 21 AK-47 rifles, 163 rounds of 7.62mm special, two RPG bombs, 25 dane-guns, four unexplosive ordinance store, two bandoliers, 10 solar panels, 23 bicycles, 10 motorcycles, one tricycle, 19 cell phones, 28 torch-lights, bags of assorted grains, 122 rustled sheep and N203,125 were recovered, among other items.”

Also, troops have killed seven Boko Haram terrorists in Kayamla Village of Konduga Local Council of Borno State.

The insurgents were neutralised on Tuesday, September 20, 2022, in an ambush of 73 battalion in collaboration with civilian Joint Task Force (JTF) in Kayamla.

A counter-insurgency expert in the Lake Chad region, Zagazola Makama, who confirmed the incident, yesterday, in Maiduguri, said that the marauding terrorists were massively escaping from the sustained military onslaughts of terrorists’ hideouts.

READ  NSCDC storms criminal hideouts, recovers 33 guns, other items in Imo

He said that the terrorists usually come to the areas to terrorise farmers and kidnap them for ransom.

He added that the troops had intensified their offensives against the terrorists, including their collaborators and logistic suppliers.

Meanwhile, the Theatre Commander of Operation Hadin Kai has also charged the troops to be responsible and professionals in defending the territorial integrity of the nation.

He commanded the soldiers to kill every terrorist in the North-East region with no mercy.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigerian posing as football fan arrested at UK airport after ingesting £80k worth of cocaine

Published

on

By

 

One Benjamin Nwaogwugwu, identified as a Nigerian living in the United Kingdom (UK), has been jailed after he was arrested by the police at Manchester airport for swallowing cocaine “worth £80,000”.

According to UK Daily Mail, the illicit drug was consumed by Nwaogwugwu, who claimed to have been hired by Colombian drug barons, at a hotel in South America before he flew to Paris and then returned to the UK.

The 43-year-old was said to have pretended to be a Liverpool fan returning to the UK after watching the UEFA Champions League final — which held on May 28, 2022 in Paris — when police saw him grimacing in pain at the airport.

It took two days for him to pass out the drugs from his bowels, and after analysis, it was discovered that the cocaine has a ““purity of up to 89%” after an examination was done on 19 packages.

According to the report, Nwaogwugwu, said to be married with three children, said some persons threatened to harm his family members in Nigeria if he didn’t transport the drugs.

READ  EFCC arrests fraudster on FBI wanted list, three others over $100m fraud

“The defendant was told if he did not do this, he and his family would be harmed and was threatened. There was a total of 100 packages but the defendant could only swallow 79 and was vomiting blood so had to stop. He was taken to the airport and flown back to France, then onto Manchester,” a statement detailing his plea reads.

“The defendant was under significant pressure to commit this offence but accepts this was not duress. The defendant did not stand to profit financially from this activity.”

He was arrested on June 1, 2022, and jailed for four years and two months after he pleaded guilty to cocaine importation.

Tina Landale, the presiding judge, reportedly said despite Nwaogwugwu’s “clean” record, measures must be taken to “prevent criminals from taking on these types of crimes”.

“You became involved in an enterprise where you attempted to bring cocaine into Manchester,” the judge was quoted as saying.

READ  Yoruba Nation: Sunday Igboho insists on Lagos rally

“You cooperated with it and then you tried to lie your way out of it. Drug smuggling is a vile, vile trade and it’s clear that these criminals prey on the vulnerable and you were exploited.

“Up to now, you had been making a positive contribution to the community and it is clear you are a man of good character and that you care for your family. However, this is an extremely serious offence and there must be a deterrence to prevent criminals from taking on these types of crimes.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending News