Connect with us

News

Newspaper Headlines: UK publishes names of 56 dead Nigerians with unclaimed estates

Published

on

 

1. The Government of the United Kingdom has published at least 56 dead Nigerians with unclaimed estates and other valuable assets. This is contained on the UK’s government Treasury Solicitor website. The report said one of the oldest affected was identified as Mark N’wogo, a Nigerian said to have been born in Sapele, Delta State, and died on December 9, 1992, in Surrey, United Kingdom.

2. The enumeration committee of the Federal Government homegrown feeding programme for public primary schools has uncovered 349 ghost schools in Nasarawa State. The team leader of the committee and adviser to the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Mallam Abdullahi Usman, disclosed this when he led members of the committee on a courtesy call on Governor Abdullahi Sule at the Government House, Lafia.

3. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has released the Air Transport Licence (ATL) of Azman Air, one of the nation’s domestic airlines. The airline had been forced to suspend flight operation over N1.2bn debt which accrued from non-remittance of ticket sale charge and cargo sale charge (TSC/CSC) on Thursday, leaving hundreds of its passengers stranded across the country.

READ  Wike vows to resign if Amaechi names federal project he brought to Rivers since 2015

4. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has travelled abroad. Mr. Paul Ibe, Media Adviser to Atiku, in a statement entitled “Atiku travels to Europe on business,” said insinuations that the trip is for medicals are not correct.

5. The Independent National Electoral Commission has said it is making preparations for around 95 million voters in next year’s general elections but warns that the increasing level of insecurity in some parts of the country poses a threat to the polls. The Chairman, INEC, Prof Mahmoud Yakubu, said this in Lagos on Friday at a forum with members of the Nigeria Guild of Editors.

6. A bricklayer, Adamo Aliyu, recently arrested alongside four others for robbery and murder said he has lost count of the number of people he killed. Aliyu, who lives in Ikire, Osun State, his friend, Yusuf Idris and three others paraded by the state police command in Osogbo allegedly conspired with others and killed a petrol station manager, Fatai Adigun at Aku Area of Ikire.

READ  ASUU declares indefinite strike, plans increased media engagement

7. King Charles III has denied the request of the President of Zimbabwe, Emmerson Mnangagwa, to attend the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II. Mnangagwa had earlier in a condolence letter to the king requested to attend the funeral of the Queen despite not being included in the list of world leaders that had been invited to the funeral by Buckingham Palace.

8. Labour Party flagbearer, Peter Obi has explained what he plans to do to take the country out of its current economic state. Obi while speaking in an interview with Zain Asher on CNN on Friday, said the first thing he plans to do is to put security in place.

9. A former deputy national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Olabode George has lamented that the party has nothing to campaign against the presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu in the South-West. The PDP chieftain made this assertion on Friday during a television interview.

READ  Newspaper Headlines Today: Makinde demands Ayu’s resignation as PDP chairman

10. The National Industrial Court, NIC, sitting in Abuja, yesterday, declined to hear an application the Federal Government filed for an order to direct the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, to immediately suspend its ongoing strike action.

News

Ooni’s new wife adds colour to Olojo festival

Published

on

By

 

The new wife of Ooni of Ife, Mariam Ajibola, on Saturday stepped out with her husband, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, for the first since she got married to the royal father on Saturday as the annual Olojo Festival got underway in Ile-Ife, Osun State.

Mariam, who attended the event with her husband, and other dignitaries that included; Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola and Osun state Deputy governor, Benedict Alabi, among others, was dressed in all white attire, and was seen speaking with the royal father as different groups paid homage to the Ooni during the ceremony.

The new Yeyeluwa of Ife is attending Olojo, a major cultural celebration in Ile-Ife, during which Ooni will adorn ‘Are crown,’ for the first time as Ooni’s wife.

The new queen was ushered into Ile Oodua Palace in Ile-Ife at 8pm on Tuesday, September 6 by her mother and other members of her family from Kogi and Kwara states and since then, she had not attended any public outing.

READ  Newspaper Headlines Today: Bandits relocating to North-East, govs raise the alarm

Continue Reading

News

Keyamo: Why Osinbajo was not included in Tinubu’s campaign council

Published

on

By

 

The campaign council of the All Progressives Congress presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, has cleared the air surrounding the absence of Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo from the list of patrons.

In a statement released on Saturday by Festus Keyamo, spokesperson of the council, the APC camp said Osinbajo was left out of the lineup to allow him “concentrate on governance of the country and administration of government.”

On Friday, the APC presidential campaign council released a list containing 422 names of its members.

Osinbajo was absent from the list alongside Yakubu Dogara, former speaker of the house of representatives, Babachir Lawal, former secretary to the government of the federation, and Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, former minister of state for education.

 

The vice-president had contested the APC presidential ticket with Tinubu, and it appeared to have severed the relationship between the duo.

The absence of Osinbajo’s name from the campaign council further fuels the suspicion of an awry turn in their relationship.

READ  BREAKING: Despite being vaccinated, Biden tests positive for COVID-19

Addressing the situation, the campaign team said President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the omission of the vice-president and Boss Mustapha, secretary to the government of the federation, from the list.

The statement:

“Our attention has been drawn to some stories making the rounds that there may be something amiss within the family of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the name of our own revered and respected Vice-President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON, is not included in the list of the Tinubu/Shettima Presidential Campaign Council,” the statement read.

“Nothing can be farther from the facts. For the avoidance of doubt, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, is the chairman of the campaign council. As a result, Mr President has SPECIFICALLY directed that the Vice-President and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, should be left out of the Campaign Council to concentrate on the governance of the country and administration of government.

READ  Newspaper Headlines: INEC warns against political campaigns in churches, mosques

“As a responsible party and government, all the key functionaries of government cannot abandon their positions for electioneering campaigns. The APC has the mandate of the Nigerian people to administer the country on their behalf at least till May 29, 2023, and this we intend to do with all sense of responsibility.

“Our candidates and the leadership of the APC have also indicated that the list is not sacrosanct as there may be periodic review of it as circumstances dictate.

“We will not toe the path of those who governed the country in an irresponsible manner before us, and our Party is not in total disarray like those who wish to ‘rescue’ the country but cannot simply manage their own internal affairs.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Shock as PDP senator, Chimaroke Nnamani, makes APC presidential campaign council list

Published

on

By

 

Chimaroke Nnamani, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and senator representing Enugu east senatorial district, has been listed a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign council.

In a 422-man committee released by James Faleke, secretary, APC presidential campaign council, on Friday, Nnamani is the 350th on the list as a member.

Prior to his announcement, Nnamani did not announce his exit from the PDP.

But in August, Nnamani, in a long-thread tweet, said he is in opposition to the “shameless campaigns and parodies” aimed at the health of Bola Tinubu, the presidential candidate of the APC.

Nnamani, a medical doctor, said he is appalled by the “extreme and unprofessional” forms of attacks directed at the former Lagos state governor over his health.

“I vigorously oppose, protest and detest the shameless campaigns and parodies targeting Tinubu’s health,” he wrote.

“As a health worker, I am amazed by ignorance, foolishness, wickedness and callousness of these idiotic operators. I believe they are unwarranted, extremely unprofessional, and have no place in our polity.

READ  Newspaper Headlines Today: Bandits relocating to North-East, govs raise the alarm

Nnamani also cited Tinubu’s works in the criminal justice sector, education, and health, adding that he left a “lasting legacy of hard work in Lagos infrastructure”.

He did not answer or return calls and SMS sent to his mobile phone.

But Felix Morka, APC national publicity secretary, said he would respond later.

Continue Reading

Trending News