Terrorists threaten 2023 polls in 40 Kaduna, Zamfara, Imo, and others’ LGAs.
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has said he and his team are still consulting widely with those who mean well for the country. The governor spoke at the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa, Ikwerre Local Government Area, shortly after his arrival from London, on Friday.
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State, on Friday, ordered the State Urban Development Board to immediately unseal the Maiduguri headquarters of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP). The board sealed the headquarters of NNPP on Thursday and arrested a senatorial candidate of the party.
A two-storey building under construction has collapsed in the Kubwa area of Abuja, leaving workers trapped. Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) carried out a rescue operation at the scene.
The recent surveillance contract awarded to ex-leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), Government Ekpemupolo, aka Tompolo has continued to create tension across the Niger Delta as a group of ex-militants has demanded inclusion. The multi-million naira contract awarded by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited and targeted to curb the perennial oil theft is to cover the Niger Delta region.
Some groups and associations in the South-East have rejected the so-called order on burial of the dead within three days issued by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), saying such an order was impracticable. IPOB had, in a statement by its spokesperson, Emma Powerful on Wednesday, attributed the problems facing Igbo in recent times to the long period spent before burying their loved ones.
Soothing news came the way of foreign airlines on Friday, as the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says it has released $265 million to them to repatriate funds accrued from ticket sales. With Friday’s release, it is expected that operators and travellers will heave huge sighs of relief, as some airlines had threatened to withdraw their services in the face of unremitted funds for outstanding sale of tickets.
Presidential flag-bearer of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Adewole Adebayo, has dismissed reports of any merger or alliance with any political party in the 2023 presidential election. Adebayo disclosed this at a parley with media executives in Abuja, yesterday.
Indication has emerged that the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, is currently under immense pressure from his loyalists following reports that he has yielded to the demand by Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, for the removal of the PDP National Chairman, Iyiochia Ayu.
The Naira on Friday appreciated against the dollar at the Investors and Exporters window, exchanging at N430.33. The figure represented an increase of 0.08 percent, compared with N430.67 it exchanged for the dollar on Thursday.
The Police in Bauchi State have arrested nine kidnap suspects and rescued one victim at Maina Maji Village, in Alkaleri Local Government Area of the State. Police spokesman in the State, SP Ahmed Wakil, stated in Bauchi on Friday that the raid on the kidnappers’ hideout was conducted by police operatives in collaboration with some vigilantes.
Keyamo: Why Osinbajo was not included in Tinubu’s campaign council
The campaign council of the All Progressives Congress presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, has cleared the air surrounding the absence of Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo from the list of patrons.
In a statement released on Saturday by Festus Keyamo, spokesperson of the council, the APC camp said Osinbajo was left out of the lineup to allow him “concentrate on governance of the country and administration of government.”
On Friday, the APC presidential campaign council released a list containing 422 names of its members.
Osinbajo was absent from the list alongside Yakubu Dogara, former speaker of the house of representatives, Babachir Lawal, former secretary to the government of the federation, and Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, former minister of state for education.
The vice-president had contested the APC presidential ticket with Tinubu, and it appeared to have severed the relationship between the duo.
The absence of Osinbajo’s name from the campaign council further fuels the suspicion of an awry turn in their relationship.
Addressing the situation, the campaign team said President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the omission of the vice-president and Boss Mustapha, secretary to the government of the federation, from the list.
“Our attention has been drawn to some stories making the rounds that there may be something amiss within the family of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the name of our own revered and respected Vice-President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON, is not included in the list of the Tinubu/Shettima Presidential Campaign Council,” the statement read.
“Nothing can be farther from the facts. For the avoidance of doubt, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, is the chairman of the campaign council. As a result, Mr President has SPECIFICALLY directed that the Vice-President and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, should be left out of the Campaign Council to concentrate on the governance of the country and administration of government.
“As a responsible party and government, all the key functionaries of government cannot abandon their positions for electioneering campaigns. The APC has the mandate of the Nigerian people to administer the country on their behalf at least till May 29, 2023, and this we intend to do with all sense of responsibility.
“Our candidates and the leadership of the APC have also indicated that the list is not sacrosanct as there may be periodic review of it as circumstances dictate.
“We will not toe the path of those who governed the country in an irresponsible manner before us, and our Party is not in total disarray like those who wish to ‘rescue’ the country but cannot simply manage their own internal affairs.”
Shock as PDP senator, Chimaroke Nnamani, makes APC presidential campaign council list
Chimaroke Nnamani, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and senator representing Enugu east senatorial district, has been listed a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign council.
In a 422-man committee released by James Faleke, secretary, APC presidential campaign council, on Friday, Nnamani is the 350th on the list as a member.
Prior to his announcement, Nnamani did not announce his exit from the PDP.
But in August, Nnamani, in a long-thread tweet, said he is in opposition to the “shameless campaigns and parodies” aimed at the health of Bola Tinubu, the presidential candidate of the APC.
Nnamani, a medical doctor, said he is appalled by the “extreme and unprofessional” forms of attacks directed at the former Lagos state governor over his health.
“I vigorously oppose, protest and detest the shameless campaigns and parodies targeting Tinubu’s health,” he wrote.
“As a health worker, I am amazed by ignorance, foolishness, wickedness and callousness of these idiotic operators. I believe they are unwarranted, extremely unprofessional, and have no place in our polity.
Nnamani also cited Tinubu’s works in the criminal justice sector, education, and health, adding that he left a “lasting legacy of hard work in Lagos infrastructure”.
He did not answer or return calls and SMS sent to his mobile phone.
But Felix Morka, APC national publicity secretary, said he would respond later.
Newspaper Headlines Today: Benue residents flee as flood takes over homes
1. Residents of flooded areas in Benue State have fled their homes as a result of the flood. Commissioner of Water Resources and Environment, Dr Godwin Oyiwona said on Friday that the flood had risen to a level of 11.1m on the seasonal flood gauge on river Benue.
2. The crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party took a new dimension on Friday with the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, making a series of allegations against the Chairman, Iyorchia Ayu, and the party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, among others. Wike accused Ayu of receiving a N1 billion bribe. Ayu and Atiku have refused to react to the allegations.
3. Geng Quanrong, the Chinese man accused of killing Ummu Buhari (Ummita), will be served Chinese meals. The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) made the confirmation as his trial gets underway. Kano Correctional Centre spokesman, Musbahu Kofar-Nassarawa said Quanrong was not expected to eat ‘gabza’, a meal for prisoners.
4. The three policemen abducted by some gunmen in Ogun State have regained freedom. It was gathered that the cops, who arrived Ogun from Zone 2, Onikan Lagos for an investigation, were captured in broad daylight yesterday along the Wasinmi road, in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun.
5. Some chieftains of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State have been abducted in an attack along Kaduna-Kachia highway in Kaduna State. It was gathered that the attack happened at a place called Tashar Icce, which is some meters from Kujama community in Kajuru Area of the State.
6. The federal government has told the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to obey the National Industrial Court ruling and call off its seven-month strike. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, gave the advice while fielding questions from journalists in Abuja.
7. The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, yesterday, accused the former Senate President, David Mark, of working against him during the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential primary election. During a chat with some selected journalists in Port Harcourt on Friday, Wike said David Mark was part of those who plotted his defeat.
8. Following weeks of anxiety and serial postponements, the presidential campaign council list of the flagbearer of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, was released with several notable names of party chieftains missing. The 422-man list has names of political heavyweights, including APC governors, ministers, lawmakers, ambassadors, as well as serving and past public office holders.
9. Against the backdrop of recent visit to All Progressive Congress, APC, presidential candidate Bola Tinubu in Abuja, by some notable actors, the National Executive Committee of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, AGN, has warned its members to desist from doing anything that would jeopardize the interest and purpose of the guild.
10. Manchester United star, Cristiano Ronaldo was yesterday, charged with ‘improper and/or violent conduct following the incident where he appeared to knock a mobile phone out of a supporter’s hand. The incident happened at Everton’s Goodison Park after Manchester United’s 1-0 defeat last April.
News1 year ago
Plus size rocks: Ghanaian plus size dancer who can’t travel by air because of her size
News1 year ago
Nollywood Actress Nkechi Blessing speaks on plastic surgery, big butts
Privacy1 year ago
Self-imposed Oba vacates ‘palace’ after warnings by community
News1 year ago
How CCTV ’caught’ Baba Ijesha molesting minor
Sports7 months ago
Meet Ashleigh Plumptre, the ‘Oyinbo’ member of Nigeria Super Falcons [Video]
News1 year ago
Three killed Greenfield students identified
News1 year ago
Gani Adams begs Ooni, Alake to intervene and save Sunday Igboho
News1 year ago
Horror! Hospital fire kills 82 Covid patients