Connect with us

Metro News

Customs busts Pangolin scales traffickers, arrest 3 Vietnamese, 5 others

Published

on

 

The Nigeria Customs Service, working  with the Wildlife Justice Commission (WJC), has intercepted 397.5 Kilogramme of pangolin scales and arrested eight suspects in connection with the seizure.

The Public Relations Officer, Deputy Comptroller Timi Bomodi, disclosed this in Abuja on Wednesday.

Bomodi said three of the arrested suspects were identified as Vietnamese.

He added that they were involved in the attempted trafficking of large amounts of pangolin scales and ivories through Nigeria.

“Preliminary investigation revealed these three Vietnamese nationals as high-ranking members of a major organised crime group.

“They are involved in the trafficking of ivory, pangolin scales, rhino horns and lion bones from Mozambique and South Africa through Nigeria to Vietnam.

“The three suspects were arrested while sourcing for pangolin scales in Nigeria, 397.5kg of which was found in their possession,” he said.

The public relations officer further said the Nigeria Customs Service, through an intelligence-led operation and collaboration of WJC, was able to confiscate 400 Kg of pangolin scales put up for sale on the illegal network.

See also  Gunmen kidnap Catholic priest in Akwa Ibom, demand N100 million ransom

He said the two organisations were able to identify other members of the criminal syndicate for arrest.

WJC is an international body that works to disrupt and dismantle networks of illegal wildlife trade.

Bomodi stated that the arrested suspects had been charged to court on various counts bordering on illegal trade in wildlife.

“These arrests came as part of a proactive enforcement operation targeting the top echelon of wildlife traffickers worldwide.

“They were assessed to have caused unprecedented disruptions to organised global wildlife trafficking network.

“This is the fourth major illegal wildlife arrest in one year resulting from the strategic partnership between the Nigeria Customs Service, Wildlife Justice Commission and other foreign governments.

“It demonstrates the commitment of the Nigeria Customs Service as a formidable ally in the fight against wildlife trafficking.

“Initial crackdowns in 2021 had resulted in discoveries of 7.1 tons of pangolin scales and 850 kilogrammes of ivory, all of which were seized by the Nigeria Customs Service,” he said.

See also  PDP 'irredeemably destroyed', says Melaye

The Comptroller-General of Customs retired Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali, commended officers of the service for their efforts in breaking the chain of illegal wildlife trade and unlawful deforestation and tree felling activities.

He assured the public that the service would leave no stone unturned in its efforts to support the rest of the world in protecting endangered species and preventing deforestation.

“Nigeria Customs Service would never allow perpetrators of these crimes to profit from it or escape the wrath of the law.

“It will be recalled that in 2021, the Comptroller General of Customs at a media briefing in Lagos, showcased a seizure of pangolin scales and elephant tusks worth N22.6 billion.

“This achievement was widely acknowledged as a major boost to the fight against the extinction of endangered wildlife species in Nigeria,” he said.

Ali assured that Nigeria Customs would continue to enforce schedule six of the Common External Tariff which identified endangered species as an absolute prohibition for export.

See also  FG suspends 25% penalty imposed on improperly imported vehicles

According to him, as a signatory to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (CITES), the Service will not relent in its enforcement responsibilities.

He stressed that it would suppress the unsustainable and unethical exploitation of the nation’s fragile ecosystem and its biodiversity to the barest minimum.

 

Metro News

Terrorists release videos of abducted Ogbomoso school principal, teacher as they beg FG, Makinde for help

Published

on

By

Videos showing the principal and a teacher who were abducted from schools in Oriire LGA of Oyo state have been released by their abductors.

It would be recalled that suspected terrorists attacked Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and L.A. Primary School in Ogbomoso, all in Oriire LGA last Friday.

The Oyo police command said two people were killed during the attack on the schools. At least 45 schoolchildren and teachers were reportedly kidnapped during the incident.

The commissioner for information in Oyo state, Dotun Oyelade, said the kidnappers have been reportedly trapped in a section of the Old Oyo National Park.

In one of the trending videos, Alamu F.O, principal of Community High School, Esiele, narrated how gunmen invaded the school on Friday at about 9:30 am.

The principal said the staff members and students at the school were abducted during the attack.

See also  Imports worth $300 or less will be tax-free from Monday - Customs

“We have been here since Friday. I’m making this video to ask for help from everyone, starting from the Federal Government, Oyo state governor, Seyi Makinde, Christian Association of Nigeria, and all well-meaning Nigerians,” she pleaded.

“Come to our help and settle this thing peacefully so that our lives will not be lost.”

The background of the video shows that it was shot in a forest.

Another video shows a woman carrying a child on her back, who identified herself as Temitope, a worker at First Baptist Church, Yawota.

While in tears, she said the gunmen attacked the Baptist School on Friday and kidnapped the teachers and schoolchildren.

“Please help us. We need help. Tinubu, please help us. Our governor, Seyi Makinde, please help us. The children are here crying. Please help us so that we won’t waste our lives,” she said.

Continue Reading

Metro News

NDLEA intercepts ammunition concealed in bags of garri

Published

on

By

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency have intercepted a large cache of military-grade ammunition concealed inside bags of bags of garri during one of the agency’s anti-narcotics operations.

A suspect, Husaini Suleiman, 42, was arrested in connection with the ammunition during a raid operation at Dan Magaji area of Zaria town, Kaduna state.

The agency also discovered thousands of pills of tramadol 225mg hidden inside a keg of red oil in a separate interception.

In a statement released on Sunday, the agency’s spokesman, Femi Babafemi, disclosed that officers often come across other dangerous items while searching for illicit drugs and concealed narcotics.

The statement said, “In the course of our work searching for illicit drug concealment, we also stumble on other items that constitute threats to national security as it happened in the attached videos.

“In one instance, #ndlea_nigeria officers discovered a large cache of military grade ammunition in cassava flakes (garri) and in the second video, thousands of tramadol 225mg pills were found concealed in a keg of red oil.”

See also  Ex-appeal court judge Ahmad Belgore dies aged 70

Continue Reading

Metro News

Five killed, nine rescued as building collapses in Abuja

Published

on

By

Five people are reportedly killed after a building collapsed in the Durumi 3 area of Abuja, near the popular Gudu Market.

According to reports, the iincident occurred at about 9:00 a.m. on Saturday.

The Mandate Secretary for Health and Human Services in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Dr. Adedolapo Fasawe, who spoke on behalf of rescue agencies, confirmed that 15 people were pulled from the rubble.

According to Dr. Fasawe, nine victims were rescued alive, while five were confirmed dead. One person remains in critical condition.

Dr. Fasawe said preliminary findings by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) suggest that the developer may have compromised the quality of cement mixture used during construction.

She urged residents and developers intending to build in the nation’s capital to obtain the necessary approvals from the FCT Development Control before commencing construction.

See also  Ex-appeal court judge Ahmad Belgore dies aged 70
Continue Reading

Trending News