Connect with us

Metro News

BREAKING: Again, gunmen kill Imo traditional ruler, dump corpse in market square

Published

on

 

Gunmen on Friday killed the traditional ruler of Ebeteghete community in Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State, Eze Edwin Azuike.

The monarch was abducted from his palace on Thursday and taken to an unknown destination.

From images seen on social media, he was shot in the head and dumped in a car.

Police spokesman Michael Abattam confirmed the incident.

“Yes, it is true. The traditional ruler was abducted and later found dead in a car.

“We are investigating the matter,” he told our correspondent.

The killing is the latest in series of attacks against Imo monarchs.

On Thursday, gunmen abducted the traditional ruler of the Mbutu Ancient Kingdom in Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo, Eze Damian Nwaigwe.

He was taken away from his palace at about 2:30 am and is yet to be found.

The police said they were on the trail of the abductors.

The traditional ruler of Etekwuru Autonomous Community in Ohaji/ Egbema Local Government Area, Eze Kenneth Okereke, fled the community after two residents were killed and his palace was burnt.

READ  EFCC detains ex-NDDC MD Nsima Ekere over N47b probe

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Police arrest Samaila Fafa, another wanted notorious FCT kidnapper

Published

on

By

 

Operatives of the Federal Capital Territory Police Command have arrested Samaila Fafa, also known as Habu Ibrahim, the second of two wanted kidnappers on whom the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had placed a N20 million bounty.

The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Adeh, said in a statement on Tuesday that the kidnapper was arrested on February 24, 2024, at about 7.05pm, after operatives acting on credible intelligence stormed Sardauna Forest in the Toto area of Nasarawa State.

Wike had on Wednesday, February 14, 2024, placed a N20m bounty on two wanted bandits, Dahiru Adamu and Abu Ibrahim, who were suspected to have been terrorising Abuja.

The former Rivers State governor had made the declaration when he met with the FCT Commissioner of Police, CP Benneth Igweh, during a parade of 23 criminal suspects at the FCT Police Command Headquarters in Garki, Abuja.

 

The anti-kidnapping unit of the FCT police command had previously arrested Saidu Abdulkadir, aka Dahiru Adamu, one of the two wanted kidnappers, after operatives raided two kidnappers’ camps bordering Nasarawa and Abuja via Kuje Area Council on February 15, 2024, at about 12am.

READ  Primary school teacher jailed for life for defiling five-year-old pupil

 

Meanwhile, Adeh, in the statement, said the kidnapper had confessed that his syndicate masterminded several kidnappings in the FCT and its environs, including the abduction of Barr. Chris Agidy, legal aid to Senator. Ned Nwoko, and Mr. Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti Village, both of whom were later killed.

 

The statement read, “The operatives of the FCT Police Command, in a continued effort against banditry in FCT and its environs, on February 24, 2024, at about 7.05pm, acting on credible intelligence, stormed Sardauna Forest, Toto, Nasarawa State, and arrested one Samaila Wakili Fafa A.K.A. Habu Ibrahim, a kidnapping kingpin who has been on the wanted list of the Command for a long time and had a bounty placed on his head by the Hon. Minister FCT.

“The suspect is one of the two kidnappers the Honorable Minister FCT placed a bounty on, as the other one, namely Saidu Abdulkadir A.K.A. Dahiru Adamu, had earlier been arrested by the Command.

READ  Police arrest man for stealing streetlight solar panels in Lagos

 

“He confessed that his syndicate masterminded and executed several kidnappings in FCT and its environs, including the abduction of Barr. Chris Agidy provided legal aid to the Senator. Ned Nwoko and Mr Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti Village, were later killed by them. Samaila Wakili further led police operatives to where the remains of Barr were. Chris Agidy is. The remains were recovered and deposited in Gwagwalada General Hospital.”

 

Adeh said investigations were ongoing, adding that the FCT Commissioner of Police, CP Benneth Igwe, reiterated his commitment to combating crime and criminality and ensuring the safety of residents.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Lagos arraigns RCCG pastor for allegedly raping, impregnating daughter

Published

on

By

 

A Pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Emmanuel Orekoya, was on Tuesday arraigned before the Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court for allegedly raping and impregnating his 17- year-old daughter.

The defendant is facing two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and sexual assault preferred against him by the Lagos State Government.

It was also gathered that the defendant in the process of having sexual intercourse with his daughter, allegedly impregnated her.

The state’s prosecution counsel, Mrs Abimbola Abolade, told the court that the defendant committed the offences sometime in 2017 at Jacob Adeleye Street, Odoeran, Itire area of the state.

The prosecutor also told the court that Orekoya sexually assaulted the victim, by inserting his finger inside her vagina and inserting his penis inside her mouth.

According to the prosecutor, the offences Orekoya committed contravened Section 137 of the criminal law of Lagos State 2015.

 

READ  Tinubu approves ₦35,000 minimum wage for civil servants

However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges pressed against him.

 

Justice Soladoye adjourned the case till April 17, 2024, for the commencement of trial.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Five dead, 26 rescued as building collapses in Anambra market

Published

on

By

 

A yet-to-be-ascertained number of persons have been trapped following the collapse of a building under construction in the Ochanja market in Onitsha, Anambra state.

 

The cause of the collapse, which happened on Monday evening, is yet to be determined.

 

Chukwuma Soludo, governor of the state, who visited the site on Tuesday, said five casualties have been recorded so far.

 

Soludo described the incident as tragic and one “that was not supposed to happen”. He disclosed that 26 individuals had been rescued and hospitalised, with rescue efforts ongoing to locate those still trapped under the rubble.

 

“The contractor at his own cost will come and put down the illegal buildings he erected here,” the governor said.

 

“They are all going to come down. My government did not approve of this building. We will redesign this area and build it properly.”

 

He added that other buildings constructed without proper approval will be demolished, including structures currently under construction at other markets.

READ  Five dead, 4 injured as drunk police officer runs berserk in Enugu

 

“A comprehensive inventory of buildings in Anambra markets and public places will be conducted,” Soludo said.

 

“Markets will undergo integrity tests to identify and remove potentially unsafe structures and individuals found responsible for illegal construction will face legal consequences.”

 

The governor also assured that the hospital bills of those receiving treatment will be offset by the government, and expressed condolences to the families of those who lost their lives.

 

Continue Reading

Trending News