Connect with us

News

Imobi stool: Ogun State Assembly orders arrest of Goriola Hassan

Published

on

Following his refusal to honour three invitations, the Ogun State House of Assembly has finally ordered the arrest of a Nollywood actor, Goriola Hassan, for parading himself as the Oba of Imobi in Ijebu East Local Government Area of the State.

The Assembly requested security agencies to arrest Hassan within 14 days of the passage of its resolution.

The Assembly’s request followed the presentation of the report of the House Committee on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs by its Chairman, Bolanle Ajayi, who later moved the motion for its adoption, seconded by Ganiyu Oyedeji and supported by all the lawmakers through a voice vote at a plenary presided over by Speaker Olakunle Oluomo

The Committee’s observations indicated that Hassan had converted a government building to private use; disobeyed the orders of a constituted authority to stop parading himself as the Olu of Imobi.

The report said his activities had been causing tension that could lead to a crisis among Imobi indigenes if not checkmated.

READ  Blinded effort: Man attempting 100-hour crying marathon goes partially blind

The Committee affirmed that the Onitasin of Itasin remained the only King and prescribed authority in Imobi Land and had not granted any such consent to Hassan

The Committee in its recommendations directed that the government building, which was the Government’s Community Dispensary House at Fotedo, Imobi earlier converted to private use by Hassan be taken over by the community and he should be declared wanted and handed over to the security agencies for presentation before the Assembly accordingly.

The resolution also enjoined the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs to take necessary steps to ensure that the said Hassan stops parading himself as a monarch in the area.

It will be recalled that the Assembly had earlier extended three separate invitations to Hassan on Tuesday, 10th August, 17th August and Thursday, 2nd September 2021 respectively, all of which he failed to respond to.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Hardship: I take full responsibility – Tinubu

Published

on

By

 

President Bola Tinubu, on Wednesday, appealed for patience from Nigerians over the current economic hardship in the country, giving the assurance that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

The President said he was fully aware and took responsibility for the difficulties Nigerians had been subjected to on account of government policies.

 

He said he would not complain but welcome all criticisms since he was the one who asked to be Nigeria’s President.

The President spoke in Akure, the Ondo State capital, during his visit to the leader of the pan-Yoruba sociopolitical organisation, Afenifere,

Pa Reuben Fasoranti in Akure.

He also paid a condolence visit to the family of the late former Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, who passed on in December following a protracted battle with cancer.

The fuel subsidy removal and other economic reforms instituted by Tinubu have attracted public censure following the high costs of living, food inflation and other side effects.

 

The situation compelled the Nigeria Labour Congress to hold a nationwide protest on Tuesday.

 

The congress also threatened further mass action if the government failed to address the economic crunch within two weeks.

However, addressing public concerns over his economic policies, the President said, “Nigeria will survive the current economic challenges. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I requested the job, and I am not complaining about it. I take full responsibility.”

READ  Another of Aregbesola's legacy in Osun trashed as state assembly repeals state anthem, crest, flag

This was contained in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, titled, ‘President Tinubu: I take full responsibility for the nation; we are building an efficient Nigeria that is inclusive and fair to all Nigerians.’’

 

Tinubu emphasised his commitment to leading Nigeria towards economic and social prosperity, saying, “We are meeting our obligations to the international community. To lenders, we have not defaulted, and we are not going to default. We are navigating the twists and bends on the road to Nigeria’s prosperity.”

On reforming Nigeria, the President said his task would be to ensure fiscal and true federalism, as well as the broad-based manifestation of the philosophy of “what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.”

He acknowledged the understanding and support of all Nigerians in the face of the harsh but temporary economic conditions, assuring them that their patience and perseverance will not be fruitless.

“But, through perseverance, Lagos emerged as the fifth largest economy in the entire continent of Africa. We must manage this moment with wisdom and grow Nigeria responsibly.

READ  Mafab, MTN get final nod to commence 5G deployment

“I campaigned for this office to serve Nigeria’s interests and I was elected. Some said I would not last in the tribunal and came up with all sorts of predictions, but even when in court, I remained focused.

“We cannot allow Nigeria’s economy to be exploited. We cannot abandon our economy to marauders. I am determined to re-engineer our finances and curb selfish interests permanently,” he stated.

Speaking on behalf of Afenifere, Pa Olu Falae, a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, who read the address of Pa Fasoranti, commended Tinubu for his commitment to Nigeria’s progress and expressed support for his administration’s efforts.

“You have kept your word to return to this place where we all prayed for you, and this shows that you are a man of your word,” the elder statesman stated.

Pa Fasoranti asked President Tinubu to be fair and courageous, declaring that such traits were the hallmark of the Afenifere family.

“Today, you are carrying our flag. We are noted for integrity, competence, fairness, and courage. Your performance so far has shown that you understand the full gravity of your mandate, which is to show the Nigerian people that a good government is possible,” he said.

READ  Kidnapped Baptist students risk starvation as bandits demand 30 bags of rice

 

Fasoranti also charged the President on institutional reforms, saying, “Mr President, please also seek institutional reforms that would strengthen our federation and make Nigeria safer and more prosperous. Try and balance the budget and execute capital projects that would create more employment. We thank you for welcoming the idea of state policing.’’

He added, “We want each of the geopolitical zones to have greater responsibilities for security, food production and infrastructural development. Since the removal of fuel subsidy, which was costing Nigeria $10bn yearly, the state governments have been receiving hefty allocations from the Federation account.

 

“Mr President should persuade the governors to allow this change of fortune for the states to reflect at the grassroots so that life can be better for our people. They should not just buy rice and yams for the people. They should create employment, improve education and build new infrastructures. Today, life is truly challenging for most people and the state governments have an important role to play to transform society.”

Continue Reading

News

Oil theft: Army uncovers 40 illegal oil wells in Rivers

Published

on

By

 

The Nigerian Army has made a startling discovery of over 40 illegal crude oil wells in Rumuekpe community, in the Emohua Local Government Area of Rivers State.

 

The illegal oil wells were discovered on Wednesday during an operation led by the General Officer Commanding, Nigerian Army 6 Division, General Jamal Abdusallam.

 

Speaking to Journalists shortly after the operation, Major General Abdusallam noted that the wells which are approximately 40 feet deep, represent a new tactic employed by criminals to siphon crude oil from underground reserves.

Major General Abdusallam emphasised the significance of this discovery in the fight against oil theft and illegal bunkering in the Niger Delta.

 

According to him, the perpetrators devised a method of excavating deep into the ground to access crude oil deposits directly. He expressed concern over the danger posed by these activities to both the environment and individuals involved.

 

Major General Abdussalam also said he will notify relevant authorities and deploy troops to prevent further exploitation of the area.

READ  Another of Aregbesola's legacy in Osun trashed as state assembly repeals state anthem, crest, flag

 

Several suspects were apprehended at the crime scene and are currently in military custody to enable further investigations.

 

One suspect, speaking anonymously, admitted that the wells were allegedly owned by various families in the community.

 

While describing the hazardous process of digging, the suspect highlighted the risks involved, including gas inhalation and suffocation.

 

The suspect revealed that individuals involved in the operation were paid around N40,000 to excavate a well, emphasizing the communal ownership of the resource and the perilous nature of their endeavors.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu’s visit: Akinterinwa’s Campaign Organsation accuses Aiyedatiwa of unleashing terror on citizens

Published

on

By

 

The Campaign Organsation of the frontline governorship aspirant in the November gubernatorial election in Ondo State, Adewale Akinterinwa, has accused Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of using suspected political thugs to unleash terror during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to the state on Wednesday.

President Tinubu was in Ondo State where he paid a condolence visit to the family of the late former Governor of the State, Rotimi Akeredolu.

According to statement by the spokesperson of Akinterinwa’s Campaign Organsation, Segun Ajiboye, suspected thugs loyal to the governor unleashed violence on the citizens and destroyed billboards of political opponents of the governor.

 

It will be recalled that the campaign organisation had on Tuesday accused the governor of preventing All Progressives Congress APC members from accessing the venue of the president’s visit expressed sadness over the return of thuggery to the political space the State.

The campaign organisation said “On Wednesday, February 28, thugs sponsored by the governor of Ondo state, Mr Lucky Ayedatiwa, descended on the peaceful people of the state who had turned out in large number to receive President Bola Tinubu, GCFR, to the sunshine State.

READ  Mafab, MTN get final nod to commence 5G deployment

 

“The thugs, fully loaded in unmarked vehicles, did not in any way hide their devilish intentions, as they went round major streets of Akure, destroying the bill boards of the other gubernatorial aspirants of the All Progressives Congress.

 

“The thugs fully armed with different types of guns, shot sporadically into the air to create fears in the people. Expectedly, thousands of supporters of the APC who had prepared to receive the president ran helter-skelter for dear lives.

“The ugly incident was coming barely 24 hours after the Wale Akinterinwa Campaign Structure raised the alarm about the dastardly activities by certain element acting for and on behalf of Lucky Orimisan Ayedatiwa to prevent members of the APC and leaders who are not in his camp to receive Mr President, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR during his visit to Akure.

 

“Today’s action by the thugs acting on the directives of Mr Governor is most undemocratic, disrespectful, unreasonable and disdainful attempt by any Chief executive in the anals of democracy in Nigeria.

READ  NDLEA intercepted 763.711kgs of hard drugs in Imo, arrested 191 drug suspects in 10 months – Commander

“This is a sad reminder of the wicked old days in the politics of our dear state. It marks an avoidable return to the dark days of hooliganism and political bandits in Ondo state.”

Continue Reading

Trending News