1. The Nigeria Labour Congress on Sunday lamented the devastating impact of the forex crisis on the economy and demanded urgent stabilisation of the naira. The NLC President, Joe Ajaero, who said this in a statement, blamed government officials’ love for foreign luxury products for the free fall of the national currency.
2. An explosion rocked the Rivers State House of Assembly complex on Sunday night. The incident came amid alleged moves by some lawmakers to impeach Governor Siminalayi Fubara. It was gathered that some suspected arsonists threw an explosive into the complex around 9:25pm, causing a fire outbreak in the building.
3. The Benue State Police Command on Saturday night rescued a pastor and a member of his church who were accused by some youths of harvesting somebody’s organ at Kanshio New Layout, Makurdi.
Some youths in the area had on Saturday night beaten up a pastor of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry aka Deeper Life Bible Church, simply identified as Pastor Terna and a member of the church, identified as Jude Tyokula, on the allegation of organ theft.
4. The Ogun State Police Command has said it arrested two minors for allegedly setting their school in Isheri-Olofin area of Ifo Local Government Area of the state on fire. The spokesperson for the command, Omolola Odutola, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday. Odutola noted that the minors gained access into the school, gathered books left behind by the teachers and set them on fire, an act which led to damage of the school books.
5. The Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, said on Sunday that no amount of propaganda would distract the focus of the Bola Tinubu-led administration. He noted that the administration has enormous tasks ahead of it, stressing that it would not be interrupted by baseless accusations from unverifiable quarters.
6. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has expressed the determination of his administration to change the narrative of Nigeria as a crawling nation by bringing transformative governance. He spoke on Sunday during bilateral political talks with the Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, Olaf Scholz, and his entourage at State House, Abuja.
7. A boat carrying over 100 passengers capsized midway through the Benue River on Saturday. It was learnt on Sunday that traders, women and children, heading for Binnari town in Karim-Lamido local government area of the state were on the ill-fated boat.
8. If Nigeria had lost its arbitration dispute with Process & Industrial Development (P&ID), it would have cost the country about $15 billion, former President Muhammadu Buhari, has said. He noted that his former Chief of Staff (CoS), the late Abba Kyari and the Minister of Justice & Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, were mandated to find a way out on the issue.
9. Pressure on the naira eased at the weekend after disclosures on the sources of the expected $10 billion forex inflows announced by the Federal Government.
The expected dollar inflow has not only raised market confidence but also pushed the Naira to record significant gains across forex segments. The Naira closed the week at N1,145/$1 at the parallel market, and N789.94/$ at the Investors and Exporters (I&E) window where over $400 million transactions were consummated on Friday.
10. The Catholic Diocese of Wukari has confirmed the abduction of one of its priests, identified as Rev. Father Thaddeus Tarhembe. The clergyman was taken captive during the early hours of Sunday.
Knocks as Lagos church invites Portable, Pasuma to praise night
A branch of the Celestial Church of Christ in Lagos is facing criticism following the announcement of its praise night event featuring Pasuma, a Fuji singer, and the controversial musician, Portable.
The event flyer, shared on the church’s Facebook page on November 29, 2023, prompted an outcry from numerous users.
Scheduled for December 15, the event drew shock from multiple Facebook users who condemned the church for inviting secular artistes to a praise night.
The church’s post reads: “JOIN US ON 15th OF DEC, 2023”
“As We Celebrate our 7th-year Anniversary on Our ANKARA / PRAISE NIGHT.
“Performing: ALHAJI WASIU ALABI PASUMA a.k.a Oganla,’ ‘HABEEB OLALOMI a.k.a Portable,’ ‘MAY-SHUA,’ ‘EVANG. SUNDAY GP a.k.a De Governor.”
Expressing disappointment, Bolanle Bamidele Adewuyi commented, “This is disheartening… Is this what you turn the Church of God to? It’s hilarious.”
Edafe Oghenebrume labeled the move as sacrilegious, expressing dismay and questioning the spiritual direction of the church leaders and congregation.
“This is a sacrilege in the Celestial Church of Christ. It is disheartening, pathetic, shameful and disgraceful. I wonder about the spiritual orientation of your Shepherd-In-Charge and the congregation.”
Festus Olanrewaji Ojo criticized the decision, emphasizing, “This is a shame! Shame and a very big shame.”
Becky Wunmi Hassan Ayoade expressed concern about the direction of the church, stating, “There is nothing they will not turn celestial church to”.
Ayo Ife humorously remarked, “The artists are not complete yet. Una for kuku add Naira Marley So that the soul winning can complete! Eku ishe oluwa sir.”
However, amidst the criticism, some users expressed eagerness to attend.
Abike Ade affirmed, “I’ll definitely be there.”
Meanwhile, Abike Garment commented, “I must be there make I come dance away my sorrow.”
Kogi guber poll: I won’t challenge election result at tribunal — Dino Melaye
The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the just concluded Kogi State Governorship election, Senator Dino Melaye has announced his decision not to seek legal redress following his electoral loss.
Melaye, who made his decision known at a media briefing in Abuja, on Wednesday, said his decision was hinged on the fact that the judiciary has allegedly become an arm of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.
According to him, it is now public knowledge that the judiciary under the current administration has become the “lost hope” instead of the “last hope” of the common man.
Melaye noted that it was a shame that the judiciary watched helplessly as members of the ruling party boasted of their control over the judiciary during campaigns.
Family dissociates Adedoyin from Osun govt, chief justice face-off
The family of Rahman Adedoyin has, for the umpteenth time, dissociated their patriarch, Rahman Adedoyin from the ongoing face-off between the government , Osun judiciary workers and Chief Justice, Justice Oyebola Adepele-Ojo.
In statement titled, “RE: OSUN CJ REMOVAL: DO NOT USE DR. RAHMAN ADEDOYIN’S CASE AS AN EXCUSE OR DEFENCE AGAINST CORRUPT ALLEGATIONS,” signed by the Director, Media & Publicity of Adedoyin Conglomerate,
Dr Kunle Awojoodu on behalf of the family, condemns what it called as attempt to drag Adedoyin into lingering face-off between the state government and chief judge, Hon Justice O.A. Ojo.
The statement reads: “Attention of the family of Dr Rahman Adedoyin has been drawn to various write ups in various media: social and print by some faceless people trying to drag Dr Adedoyin into the face-off between the Chief Judge of Osun, Hon Justice O.A. Ojo , and the Osun State Government as well as the Osun Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria.
“It is highly disheartening that some elements within the society could, simply, for selfish and face saving reasons, descend so low to the abyss of pedestrianism alleging that it is because of Dr Adedoyin’s case that Governor Adeleke of Osun State is pitched against the CJ and, at the same time, being called to account by the Osun State law makers, when the allegations laid against the CJ before the Osun State House of Assembly contain nothing as such.
“It indubitably smacks of unwarranted malice and sheer hypocrisy that anyone could level this type of mischievous allegation against Dr Adedoyin, (a renowned educationist, a business mogul and one of the major employers of labour in Osun State) who has never been a politician, has no nexus with politics or sought any political contract whatsoever, in their attempt to curry undue public advantage/sympathy or circumvent unavertable responsibilities.
“We, as the family, believe in the rule of law and due process of the law and has never, at any point in time, approached any individual, group of persons, traditional rulers, politicians or anyone at all to subvert the cause of justice. We strongly believe that the impartial court would eventually do justice in the case.
“Unfortunately, our hope was dashed when our patriarch, Dr Ramon Adedoyin was convicted and hurriedly condemned in spite of absence or non existent of an iota of evidence linking him either to the hurriedly and belatedly added charge of murder or any of the earlier charges whatsoever.
“As law abiding citizens, we decided to choose the path of legality and constitutionality by seeking true justice at the appellate Court.
” It is therefore illegal, immoral, and unconstitutional for anyone to link the current imbroglio vis a vis the State Government, the protesting staff of the State Judiciary and the embattled CJ, Hon Justice Ojo Adepele to a case that is still pending at appeal, in order to score cheap political points or personal propaganda.’
The family said Dr Adedoyin does not know and has never met the Governor of Osun State.
It stated further, “Nevertheless, for our family decorum and maturity, we reserve our comments on the demands of one Aliyu and a Yoruba Monarch about Justice Adepele Ojo’s circumstantial evidence by which she hurriedly pronounced the guilt of Dr.Adedoyin without required pieces of evidence.
“Without mincing words, the family strongly dissociates itself from unfounded rumours being peddled and negatively marketed, as usual, to this horrible effect.”
Adedoyin’s family, however, vehemently advised those who take delight in stoking fire in the crisis in the State, especially within the media, to leave Dr Adedoyin and his family alone and “rather explore possibility of a defence via due process of the law. It must be sounded as a point of warning that resorting to cheap blackmail or any pretentious linkage with our family or any member thereof will amount to an ill wind that will legally blow them no good,” the statement said.
Entertainment2 years ago
DJ Dimple Nipple dropped by longtime boyfriend after claiming D’Prince allegedly demanded sex for roles
News3 years ago
Nollywood Actress Nkechi Blessing speaks on plastic surgery, big butts
Sports2 years ago
Meet Ashleigh Plumptre, the ‘Oyinbo’ member of Nigeria Super Falcons [Video]
News3 years ago
Plus size rocks: Ghanaian plus size dancer who can’t travel by air because of her size
Privacy2 years ago
Self-imposed Oba vacates ‘palace’ after warnings by community
News3 years ago
How CCTV ’caught’ Baba Ijesha molesting minor
Entertainment2 years ago
Ini Edo welcomes first child through surrogacy, speaks on past miscarriages
News2 years ago
Gani Adams begs Ooni, Alake to intervene and save Sunday Igboho