Connect with us

News

Police arrest five Yoruba Nation agitators

Published

on

 

Oyo State Police Command, on Sunday, said it arrested five Yoruba Nation agitators who had earlier invaded and hijacked the Radio Nigeria, Amuludun FM 99.1 in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

The suspects were Noah Atoyebi, 30 years; Gbenga Adeleke, 25 years; Abdulganiyu Mustafa, 35 years; Fajola Elija, 45 years and a woman, Kehinde Bashiru.

 According to reports, some Yoruba Nation agitators stormed the station around 5:40 am, seized the airwaves and announced their separation from the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Addressing newsmen at the command’s headquarters, Eleyele in Ibadan, the state Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Williams, who was represented by the Police Public Relations Officer, Adewale Osifeso, said, “The preliminary investigations about today (Sunday)’s incident revealed that at about 0600hrs the valiant and eagle-eyed operatives of the command while on intelligence-driven patrols intercepted a distress call about some members of a group driven by a separatist agenda who had forcefully hijacked a radio broadcast station, Amuludun 99.1 FM located around Moniya, Ibadan with the intent to declare liberation from the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

READ  Insurgency: Terrorists attack Kaduna military base, kill 11 soldiers, injure 19

“Thankfully, no personnel from the establishment or any other person was hurt as the command responded swiftly in a well-coordinated rescue operation.

“I have personally detailed an investigation team led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State Criminal Investigation Department to demystify circumstances around the incident and as well expand the network of arrests through thorough, painstaking intelligence-driven investigation.

“While declaring this act as criminal, unpatriotic and a clear case of terrorism which would be meted with adequate sanctions under the laws of the land, I assure good citizens of the state that the security architecture of the command in contact with relevant sister agencies has been strategically modified for optimum effectiveness not only for tomorrow’s (Monday) epoch-making ceremony but beyond.”

He, therefore, called on parents, guardians and leaders wielding various degrees of influence to prevail on their children, wards and proteges against being used to disrupt tomorrow’s event as heavy sanctions await defaulters and other unpatriotic elements sharing the same sinister motives.

READ  Police declare Ebonyi APGA guber candidate wanted for ‘murder’

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: Court orders Kano Govt to pay N10m to deposed Emir, Bayero for rights violation

Published

on

By

 

A Federal High Court sitting in Kano has ordered the Kano State Government to pay the sum of N10 million as damages to deposed Emir, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, for violating his fundamental rights.

 

The court, which assumed jurisdiction to hear Bayero’s rights violation suit, also ordered the Kano State Government to guarantee the deposed emir’s right to movement and personal liberty.

 

In a ruling on Friday, the presiding judge of the Federal High Court 3, Justice Simon Amobeda, noted that he was duty bound to resolve the issue of jurisdiction of the court to determine the case before delving into the main matter of the case.

 

According to him, without jurisdiction, any proceeding is nullity.

 

Justice Amobeda while declaring the jurisdiction of the court to hear the case, insisted that the issue did determination fell under abuse of fundamental human rights of the applicant, adding that the Constitution had granted the Federal High Court the powers to preside over the matter.

READ  Reps fight over Twitter suspension

 

He noted that Bayero was seeking, among others reliefs, payment of N5 billion as damages from the Kano State Government for breaching his fundamental human rights.

 

The judge also noted that the applicant also asked for the enforcement of his rights to movement and personal liberty.

 

In his ruling, the judge said, “It is the duty of the court to protect the rights of every citizen but that protection cannot be done in vacuum, a person crying over violation of his fundamental human rights must provide cogent and vital evidence to that effect to which the applicant have successfully provided.”

 

He noted that in 2019, the then government of Kano State used the Kingmakers to select a new Emir, but surprisingly, on Friday, May 23, 2024, the Governor of Kano State, Abba Yusuf, used the social media to propagate that he had deposed the applicant (Bayero) and ordered the Police to arrest him after giving him 48 hours to vacate the palace.

READ  Fake news alert: Police debunk alleged attacks on ‘Igbo traders’ in Lagos

 

“To this end, I so hold that without any lawful justification, the applicant was threatened, and his fundamental rights to liberty as guaranteed in Section 35(1) of the 1999 Constitution, was breached.
“Similarly, the action of the government which had forced the applicant into a house arrest, preventing him from going about his lawful business, constitutes a flagrant violation of his fundamental rights to freedom of movement as guaranteed under Section 41(1) of the 1999 Constitution,” the judge added.

 

The court also ordered that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Respondents – including the Police and the DSS – are either by themselves, their agents, servants, privies or any other persons or authority forthwith restrained from arresting, detaining or harassing Bayero.

 

Justice Amobeda further ordered that the Government of Kano State should pay the sum of N10 million for breach and likely breach of Bayero’s fundamental right to personal liberty and freedom of movement, as guaranteed in the 1999 Constitution.

READ  NDLEA destroys ‘N194bn’ cocaine seized in Lagos warehouse

Continue Reading

News

Minimum Wage: No figure is sacrosanct, there’s always room for adjustments – Labour

Published

on

By

 

Following the seeminglt unending discussions on a new minimum wage for Nigerian workers, organised labour has said that it is not fixated on any figure.

 

The tripartite committee on minimum wage ended its deliberations last week, submitting two figures to President Bola Tinubu for consideration as the new minimum wage.

 

While the government and the organised private sector are proposing ₦62,000, organised labour is demanding ₦250,000 as the new minimum wage.

 

However, the President of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Festus Osifo, who was a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, The Morning Brief on Friday, said no figure is sacrosanct as there is always room for adjustments.

 

“What we said is that for us when we give figures, there is always a room to meander, there is always a room for us to do some adjustment here and there,” Osifo said.

 

“So, there is no figure that is sacrosanct, there is no figure that is cast in stone that both parties will be fixated on it. One of the reasons that we went on industrial action the last time was because when it got to N60,000, they told us that a kobo cannot even join the N60,000, that they cannot even add one naira to it.

READ  'We neither arrested nor ever detained Mohbad', says NDLEA

 

“So that was one of the reasons that led to that industrial action beyond the fact that there were also delays.”

 

President Tinubu is expected to send an executive bill to the National Assembly for legislative action.

 

The TUC President said that they are not going to pre-empt the President, but they are making all efforts to justify why Tinubu should tilt towards the figure presented by the labour instead of the one by the organised private sector and the government.

 

He said that if the President send a figure that is not favourable to the labour to the National Assembly, they will still approach the lawmakers and push them to do much more.

 

Osifo vowed that the work of the labour leaders will not end until the Minimum Wage Act 2024 becomes law. He said it is premature to predict what labour will do if what is passed is not acceptable to them at the end of the day.

 

I will approve what Nigeria can afford

Meanwhile, President Tinubu has said that he will only approve a new minimum wage that the government can afford.

READ  Lagos reopens Ladipo, Oyingbo, other markets after closure over environmental offences

 

He stated this on Wednesday at a dinner to mark Nigeria’s 25 years of unbroken democracy in Abuja.

 

“I have to celebrate with you my dear brother, Senate President, Deputy Senate President,” he said, adding that Senate President Godswill Akpabio and his deputy, Jibrin Barau would soon get an Executive Bill from him on the new minimum wage.

 

“The minimum wage is going to be what Nigerians can afford, what you can afford and what I can afford. Cut your coat according to your size, if you have size at all,” he said.

 

I pity Tinubu if he approves unsustainable wage

Anambra State Governor, Chukwuma Soludo, says he pities President Tinubu if he approves an “unsustainable” minimum wage for workers in the country.

 

The former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) warned that not all state governments and the organised private sector can pay the ₦62,000 proposed by the Federal Government and the ₦250,000 demand of organised labour.

 

Soludo spoke on Wednesday at The Platform Nigeria, a programme by Lagos-based church, Covenant Nation, to mark 2024 Democracy Day.

READ  Wife beats husband to death with pestle in Ondo

 

“But on the other hand, you have to come back to reality, talking about these MSMEs, the schools, churches, so on and so forth. You will have to pay your own driver. We are all in it. Whatever they agree, we will muddle through but may be after one year, we will need to meet to discuss the consequences.”

 

“I pity the President because it will all be on his head if the consequences come down, whatever it is, if whatever is negotiated is unsustainable or payable or whatever. Months to come, who will bear the responsibility? Not me.”

 

The discussions for a new minimum wage has lingered for months, with the tripartite committee ending with the two figures last week.

 

While labour dropped its earlier demand from ₦494,000 to ₦250,000, the government added ₦2,000 to its initial ₦60,000 and offered workers ₦62,000.

 

Both sides submitted their reports to the President, who is expected to make a decision and send an executive bill to the National Assembly to pass a new minimum wage bill to be signed into law by the President.

Continue Reading

News

Good morning! Here Are Some Major News Headlines In The Newspapers Today: Rainstorm Destroys Over 100 Houses In Jigawa

Published

on

By

 

1. A devastating windstorm and heavy rain have wreaked havoc in Kaugama Local Government Area of Jigawa State, causing over 100 houses to collapse and resulting in significant property loss. Musa Kaugama, a victim of the disaster, said his two-room house collapsed, and he lost all his belongings.

 

2. The Court of Appeal in Abuja has quashed the contempt case initiated by the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, against the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Olanipekun Olukoyede. In a judgment on Thursday, June 13, a three-member panel of the Court of Appeal held, among other things, that the contempt case was premised on expired interim orders issued by the Kogi State High Court, sitting in Lokoja.

 

 

3. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has released the final list of candidates for the Ondo State governorship election. Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ajayi Agboola of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olorunfemi Ayodele of the Labour Party, and Akingboye Benson of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) are among the 17 candidates contesting in the November 16 poll.

READ  Fake news alert: Police debunk alleged attacks on ‘Igbo traders’ in Lagos

 

4. Some residents of Abaji area council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) set the corpse of a suspected armed robber ablaze on Thursday. A police officer told reporters that the robbers first attacked the police station along Toto Road, where an inspector simply identified as Abila was shot dead.

 

5. President Bola Tinubu has appointed Mr. Tanimu Yakubu as the new Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, succeeding Mr Ben Akabueze, whose tenure has expired. This was contained in a statement on Thursday by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale.

 

6. Ahead of the forthcoming Sallah, the Kano State Police Command has banned Durbar activities in the state. This was announced in a statement issued by Abdullahi Kiyawa, the Police Public Relations Officer of the command.

 

7. Africa’s richest person, Aliko Dangote, says local and foreign mafia tried several times to sabotage his $19 billion refinery from coming to fruition. He also mentioned that he has repaid about $2.4 billion of the $5.5 billion borrowed to build the refinery.

READ  Insecurity: 12 killed in Zango-Kataf counter attacks

 

8. President Bola Tinubu will, on Friday, receive a draft bill seeking a return to a regional system of government for Nigeria.

 

9. An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti on Thursday sentenced the cleric of a church in Omuo Ekiti in the Ekiti East Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Pastor Enoch, to life imprisonment for raping a minor. The victim, said to be the daughter of one of the church members, was raped by the pastor during one of her visits to the cleric’s residence.

 

10. An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti Division on Thursday sentenced four persons to death by hanging for armed robbery, murder, and conspiracy. The court also convicted and sentenced the defendants to life imprisonment for the offense of attempted murder.

Continue Reading

Trending News