Connect with us

Metro News

Soldiers shoot dead 15-year-old boy on birthday in Lagos

Published

on

 

The family of a 15-year-old boy, Pelumi Sulaimon, have been thrown into mourning after soldiers attached to Operation MESA allegedly shot him dead around Makoko, in the Yaba area of Lagos State.

According to the residents, the soldiers were hired by political thugs to carry out a reprisal on their opponents in the community on Sunday, February 26.

When the soldiers got to the community, they started shooting indiscriminately and in the process, a stray bullet hit Pelumi who was on his way to buy drinks for his friends to celebrate his birthday.

The soldiers, who were led by a political thug identified simply as Nuru, were also said to have gunned down a tricycle operator, identified simply as Aloma, whom they mistook of one of their targets.

According to Pelumi’s relative, Musbau Ayinde, the events that led to the death of the Junior Secondary School Three pupil was a result of a clash caused by political rivalry in the community.

He said, “There was a clash between members of two political parties at a base close to Makoko roundabout on Thursday night. The fight was later settled after the intervention of some residents in the area.

READ  Soldiers arrest terrorists, hand over lost child to family in Taraba

“After that, there was another confrontation between them during the election held on Saturday but that did not lead to a fight and we all thought it had ended there not until Sunday when a thug belonging to one of the political parties brought soldiers and stormed the base where the clash occurred the last time.

“When they got there, they did not meet their targets, so the soldiers who were attached to the OP MESA started to shoot indiscriminately and that was how one of the bullets hit Pelumi in his ribs. A tricycle rider known as Aloma was also shot dead.

“He was about getting passengers at the park when he heard the gunshots and fled. But they thought he was one of their targets and that was how they aimed at him and shot him. Even after he fell down, they came down from their van, moved close to him and shot him again in the head.”

READ  BUSTED: Nigerian military arrests officer who helped bandits in attack on NDA

Pelumi’s elder brother, Afeez, said he was with his friends when a resident told him that his brother had been shot by the soldiers.

He said, “I was with my friends when the soldiers arrived in the area in a van which had the inscription of OP MESA on it with a covered number plate. That was around 3pm. They came in through the Sabo area with four soldiers hanging at the back of the van.

“Shortly after, someone came to tell me that our last born had been shot. I rushed down to the place and saw my immediate younger sister at the spot trying to lift him (Pelumi) up from the ground. That was when some residents joined to carry him to a hospital at Oko Agbon.

“When we got there, they referred us to another hospital on Harvey Road. That was where he passed away. The hospital asked us to get a police report before releasing the corpse. So, it was policemen from Adekunle that took the corpse from the hospital and deposited it in the mortuary.”

READ  Insecurity: Give soldiers modern weapons, training ― IBB

Afeez said Pelumi just turned 15 years old on the day he was shot, adding that he stepped out to buy drinks to celebrate with his friends when the incident happened.

“The people we met at the spot where he was shot said a political thug known as Nuru was sighted in the van of the military officers. And they left the community through Iwaya Road after carrying out the operation,” he added.

It was gathered that Pelumi and Aloma were buried on Wednesday.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident.

“The case is at the State Criminal Investigation Department. No suspect has been arrested yet and investigation is still ongoing,” he said.

 

Metro News

Why I killed rival bandits’ kingpin – Notorious bandit Turji

Published

on

By

 

Bello Turji, leader of a group of outlaws operating in northern Nigeria, has blamed Minister of Defence (State), Bello Matawalle, of not handling banditry effectively when he was governor of Zamfara State.

 

During his time as governor, Matawalle had rolled out an amnesty programme to bandits, describing dialogue as best option to tackle banditry.

 

He, however, later withdrew the amnesty, saying the bandits failed to embrace the peace initiative his government offered them.

 

In a video released on social media, Turji linked the escalation of banditry in Zamfara and other Northwestern states to the policies mapped out by Matawalle when he was governor.

 

“Any person living in Shinkafi, Zurmi, and Isa (Sokoto State) cannot deny this claim. There is a particular group of bandits whom the former governor pampered. I chased the group from Shinkafi, I killed their leader, Dudu, for peace to reign in Shinkafi. The group had 200 arms, but the governor later hosted them (Dudu’s boys) at the Government House.

READ  Police inspector killed as soldiers attack Adamawa police headquarters

 

“But the government failed to ask the group to surrender their weapons. Another group led by Bashari Maniya has over 300 guns.”

Turji claimed that he had seized 30 guns from a bandits group led by one Bashari Maniya, adding that the group never surrendered their weapons to the government.

In the video, Turji also alleged that some leaders of the bandits’ groups who were part of the peace deal initiated by the Matawalle administration had relocated to Sokoto after arming their boys to continue kidnapping people for ransom.

 

“Ali is a boy to Kabiru Maniya, and he is responsible for attacks in Tangaza axis. Both Bashiri and Kabiru are residing in the Sokoto metropolis, enjoying their lives. One other person, Buhari, is also in Sokoto town enjoying himself.

“Three weeks ago, a younger brother of Buhari was apprehended with guns in the Sokoto metropolis. Let anyone come out and deny this. I can come forward with video evidence where Kabiru was seen firing machine guns.

READ  11 killed, many others missing as Cameroonian ‘soldiers’ attack Nigerian community

 

“The question now is, where are the machine guns after they claimed that they have embraced peace and settled in Sokoto town? Who did he give the machine guns? Let the government explain this to Nigerians, who are killing the people. Let them stop blaming Bello Turji for the killings and kidnapping.

 

“People that are being kidnapped in Sokoto metropolis and taken to the back of Achida and Goronyo, who is responsible for the kidnapping? Is that also Bello Turji? Who is living in peace in Shinkafi?”

 

Efforts to reach Matawalle for reaction failed as of the time of filing this report.

 

Multiple calls made to Henshaw Ogubike, a spokesperson of the Defence Ministry, rang out.

 

Ogbuike, however, sent a text message, asking our reporter to reach him via text. He had not responded to the message sent as of the time of filing this report.

 

READ  ‘We didn’t bargain for it’ — Oborevwori meets Tinubu over killing of soldiers

Previously, Matawalle denied any link to the bandits and maintained that his government did its best to address the security challenges in Zamfara when he was in power.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

NDLEA arrests one-legged man with six bags of cannabis

Published

on

By

 

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a 48-year-old one-legged man, Amadu Garba, at his house in Yawuri town, Kebbi State, with six bags of cannabis weighing 67 kg.

 

Garba was arrested on July 16th.

 

On the same day, NDLEA operatives intercepted a male Beninese passenger, Orobi Adoubi Amen, at the Lagos airport.

The suspect, travelling to Dubai via Accra, Ghana, on an Air Peace Airline flight and a connecting Emirates Airline flight to Dubai, was found with eight parcels of Loud, a synthetic strain of cannabis, weighing 2.10 kg.

 

The parcels were concealed in ladies’ native dresses within his bag. Amen claimed he was given the consignment for a fee of N600,000 upon successful delivery in Dubai.

 

The Director of Media and Advocacy of the NDLEA, Mr. Femi Babafemi, provided these updates in a statement on Sunday. NDLEA operatives have reported multiple arrests and drug seizures across various locations in Nigeria.

READ  Soldiers arrest 116 suspects during raids on criminal hideouts in Lagos

 

Babafemi disclosed that on July 14th, during a 100% search of a container marked MSDU 5656394 from Canada at Tincan Port in Lagos, 4.5 kg of a psychoactive substance was recovered from the door panels and boot of an imported Toyota RAV 4 vehicle.

 

Two suspects, Dada Kole and Alaba Oladewusi, were arrested in connection with this seizure.

In Abuja, two suspects, 60-year-old Ademola Elusakin and 34-year-old Nuhu Friday Adamu, were arrested on July 15th with 30.0 kg of the same substance along the Kwali-Gwagwalada-Abuja expressway.

 

They were travelling from Lagos to Nasarawa State. Elusakin claimed he procured the consignment from Ghana via Lagos and intended to supply it to illegal miners in Nasarawa State.

 

In Plateau state, a raid on the storehouse of a notorious drug dealer, Choji Gyang (aka Pararam), who is currently at large, led to the recovery of 34 bags of cannabis weighing 312 kg. The dealer’s manager, Kelvin Onwutalu, was arrested.

READ  Insecurity: Give soldiers modern weapons, training ― IBB

 

In Osogbo, Osun State, two suspects, Ifabiyi Johnson and Adeleke Musiliu, were arrested on Friday with different strains of cannabis sativa weighing 30.4 kg during a raid.

 

Acting on credible intelligence, NDLEA operatives, backed by soldiers, raided a mechanic workshop opposite Benin Garage, Akure, Ondo State, and recovered a white Toyota Hilux Van with registration number EE 328 EKY loaded with 652 parcels of cannabis weighing 685 kg.

 

In Nasarawa State, 38 kg of the same substance and a locally made AK-47 rifle were recovered from the home of a suspect, Christopher Ombugadu, in Akwanga during a raid on July 14th.

 

Additionally, NDLEA Commands and formations across the country continued their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization activities in schools, worship centres, workplaces, and communities over the past week.

Continue Reading

Trending News

Minimum wage: N70,000 can only buy one bag of rice – Ndume

Published

on

By

NDUME

 

Senator Ali Ndume, lawmaker representing Borno South, is obviously not done with his criticism of President Bola Tinubu.

 

His criticism of the president had led to his removal as Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate.

 

His party had also asked him to quit and join an opposition party of his choice.

 

The lawmaker had accepted his removal in good fate, vowing not to stop telling the truth to power.

 

During an interactive session with journalists, Ndume was asked to comment on the N70,000 minimum wage which Tinubu convinced labour to accept.

 

“People are suffering, people are angry, people are not happy. I am happy that yesterday, the president agreed with NLC to increase the salary to N70,000, which is a good move, but it takes more than that because, realistically, that is like a bag of rice, money that will buy a bag of rice or cover the cost of a bag of rice.”

READ  France bans Muslim robes in public schools

 

“So, I call on the president to still open up and listen to the people,” the lawmaker said.

 

Earlier, the lawmaker had described his action as patriotic, advising President Tinubu to listen to the cries of Nigerians and immediately address the concerned areas.

 

“I insist it is unpatriotic to stand by the president in whichever or whatever he does. It is patriotic to speak the truth not only to the president but also to anybody, for that matter. It is unpatriotic not to speak the truth to power or anybody and I still stand by that. In doing so, it is also known that God is always with the person that speaks the truth.

“So, I know that I am not wrong. The people are not wrong by speaking the truth and standing by the truth, and I pray that the president, who is now – I expect that the message has gotten to him – to look at what I have said and take appropriate measures to eliminate the sufferings of the people.”

READ  11 killed, many others missing as Cameroonian ‘soldiers’ attack Nigerian community

 

Continue Reading

Trending News