The Lagos State Government claimed on Saturday that it had uncovered plans by some people to exhume the body Whitney Omodesola Adeniran, the late 12-year-old student of Chrisland School, Opebi, Lagos.
Miss Adeniran died on February 9, 2023, during the school’s inter-house sports activities at the Agege Stadium, Lagos. She was buried in Lagos on Thursday.
An autopsy conducted by the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) dated March 1, 2023 revealed that she died as a result of asphyxia and electrocution.
In a statement issued yesterday, the state government, through Ministry of Justice, disclosed that certain persons were making plans to exhume the body of the deceased.
The state said it would oppose any attempt to exhume the body.
The statement signed by Grace Alo, Director, Public Affairs, said: “The Lagos State Ministry of Justice is aware of the current ongoing dialogue about the alleged plans to exhume the body of the late Whitney Omodesola Adeniran, a student of Chrisland Schools whose death as revealed by the autopsy conducted by the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital was as a result of asphyxia and electrocution.
“Whilst we have not received any such official communication requesting for exhumation, however if and when we do receive such a request, we shall be opposed to it.”
The statement emphasized that “the circumstances for exhumation under the Coroners’ Systems Law, 2015 do not arise in this case.
“Additionally, it is not our intention to further traumatise the deceased’s family.
“We are working closely with the police who have given their reassurance that the duplicate case file would be forwarded on Monday, 6th of March, 2023 to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions to aid the speedy issuance of Legal Advice.”
An earlier statement issued last Thursday from the office of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Moyosore Onigbanjo, SAN, stated that the post-mortem report revealed the cause of death to be asphyxia and electrocution.
It stated that the Directorate of Public Prosecutions had been instructed to issue legal advice on the matter with immediate effect.
“The Lagos State Government commiserates with the deceased’s family while reassuring Lagosians that anybody found culpable would immediately be charged to court.”
The mother of the deceased had confirmed the autopsy report during a live Instagram video.
She said: “The autopsy result is out and ‘Desola was electrocuted.
“My daughter died of electrocution.
“I have been subjected to trauma for the past two weeks.
“Tomorrow (Thursday) will make it three weeks since my baby died. The school made me to think I was crazy.”
She alleged that the school claimed the deceased was ill.
Mrs. Adeniran said: “They started pushing the narrative of she was sick; she was sickly. They sent letters and publications out.
“People insulted me and my family. My child was electrocuted to death. I told the school that I don’t want trouble. All I want is answers. They came to my house and knelt.”
Mrs. Adeniran alleged that the school failed to properly investigate the incident.
“I begged, I pleaded, I said, ‘Mrs. Amao, please, I don’t know how an autopsy is done but I have browsed it and the images are scary. Please, my daughter is already dead, don’t make me put her through that, they will butcher her. I beg you in the name of God, you are a mother, help me investigate and find out what happened. She said she didn’t know.
“My daughter was butchered for autopsy. She was opened up. They took part of her kidney, liver, stomach contents, blood, brain, and bone marrow. Omodesola was butchered.”
The school’s management had earlier said in a statement that the deceased child slumped in “public view and not under any hidden circumstances,” and was immediately rushed to the nearest medical facility for first aid.
Police arrest Samaila Fafa, another wanted notorious FCT kidnapper
Operatives of the Federal Capital Territory Police Command have arrested Samaila Fafa, also known as Habu Ibrahim, the second of two wanted kidnappers on whom the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had placed a N20 million bounty.
The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Adeh, said in a statement on Tuesday that the kidnapper was arrested on February 24, 2024, at about 7.05pm, after operatives acting on credible intelligence stormed Sardauna Forest in the Toto area of Nasarawa State.
Wike had on Wednesday, February 14, 2024, placed a N20m bounty on two wanted bandits, Dahiru Adamu and Abu Ibrahim, who were suspected to have been terrorising Abuja.
The former Rivers State governor had made the declaration when he met with the FCT Commissioner of Police, CP Benneth Igweh, during a parade of 23 criminal suspects at the FCT Police Command Headquarters in Garki, Abuja.
The anti-kidnapping unit of the FCT police command had previously arrested Saidu Abdulkadir, aka Dahiru Adamu, one of the two wanted kidnappers, after operatives raided two kidnappers’ camps bordering Nasarawa and Abuja via Kuje Area Council on February 15, 2024, at about 12am.
Meanwhile, Adeh, in the statement, said the kidnapper had confessed that his syndicate masterminded several kidnappings in the FCT and its environs, including the abduction of Barr. Chris Agidy, legal aid to Senator. Ned Nwoko, and Mr. Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti Village, both of whom were later killed.
The statement read, “The operatives of the FCT Police Command, in a continued effort against banditry in FCT and its environs, on February 24, 2024, at about 7.05pm, acting on credible intelligence, stormed Sardauna Forest, Toto, Nasarawa State, and arrested one Samaila Wakili Fafa A.K.A. Habu Ibrahim, a kidnapping kingpin who has been on the wanted list of the Command for a long time and had a bounty placed on his head by the Hon. Minister FCT.
“The suspect is one of the two kidnappers the Honorable Minister FCT placed a bounty on, as the other one, namely Saidu Abdulkadir A.K.A. Dahiru Adamu, had earlier been arrested by the Command.
“He confessed that his syndicate masterminded and executed several kidnappings in FCT and its environs, including the abduction of Barr. Chris Agidy provided legal aid to the Senator. Ned Nwoko and Mr Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti Village, were later killed by them. Samaila Wakili further led police operatives to where the remains of Barr were. Chris Agidy is. The remains were recovered and deposited in Gwagwalada General Hospital.”
Adeh said investigations were ongoing, adding that the FCT Commissioner of Police, CP Benneth Igwe, reiterated his commitment to combating crime and criminality and ensuring the safety of residents.
Lagos arraigns RCCG pastor for allegedly raping, impregnating daughter
A Pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Emmanuel Orekoya, was on Tuesday arraigned before the Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court for allegedly raping and impregnating his 17- year-old daughter.
The defendant is facing two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and sexual assault preferred against him by the Lagos State Government.
It was also gathered that the defendant in the process of having sexual intercourse with his daughter, allegedly impregnated her.
The state’s prosecution counsel, Mrs Abimbola Abolade, told the court that the defendant committed the offences sometime in 2017 at Jacob Adeleye Street, Odoeran, Itire area of the state.
The prosecutor also told the court that Orekoya sexually assaulted the victim, by inserting his finger inside her vagina and inserting his penis inside her mouth.
According to the prosecutor, the offences Orekoya committed contravened Section 137 of the criminal law of Lagos State 2015.
However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges pressed against him.
Justice Soladoye adjourned the case till April 17, 2024, for the commencement of trial.
Five dead, 26 rescued as building collapses in Anambra market
A yet-to-be-ascertained number of persons have been trapped following the collapse of a building under construction in the Ochanja market in Onitsha, Anambra state.
The cause of the collapse, which happened on Monday evening, is yet to be determined.
Chukwuma Soludo, governor of the state, who visited the site on Tuesday, said five casualties have been recorded so far.
Soludo described the incident as tragic and one “that was not supposed to happen”. He disclosed that 26 individuals had been rescued and hospitalised, with rescue efforts ongoing to locate those still trapped under the rubble.
“The contractor at his own cost will come and put down the illegal buildings he erected here,” the governor said.
“They are all going to come down. My government did not approve of this building. We will redesign this area and build it properly.”
He added that other buildings constructed without proper approval will be demolished, including structures currently under construction at other markets.
“A comprehensive inventory of buildings in Anambra markets and public places will be conducted,” Soludo said.
“Markets will undergo integrity tests to identify and remove potentially unsafe structures and individuals found responsible for illegal construction will face legal consequences.”
The governor also assured that the hospital bills of those receiving treatment will be offset by the government, and expressed condolences to the families of those who lost their lives.
News3 years ago
Nollywood Actress Nkechi Blessing speaks on plastic surgery, big butts
Entertainment2 years ago
DJ Dimple Nipple dropped by longtime boyfriend after claiming D’Prince allegedly demanded sex for roles
News3 years ago
Plus size rocks: Ghanaian plus size dancer who can’t travel by air because of her size
Sports2 years ago
Meet Ashleigh Plumptre, the ‘Oyinbo’ member of Nigeria Super Falcons [Video]
Privacy3 years ago
Self-imposed Oba vacates ‘palace’ after warnings by community
Entertainment2 years ago
Ini Edo welcomes first child through surrogacy, speaks on past miscarriages
News3 years ago
How CCTV ’caught’ Baba Ijesha molesting minor
News3 years ago
Gani Adams begs Ooni, Alake to intervene and save Sunday Igboho