Connect with us

Metro News

Man tortured to death for allegedly stealing iPhone 6 in Ogun

Published

on

 

The police in Ogun have arrested three men over the death of a 22-year-old man, Tunji George, who was allegedly beaten to death for stealing an iPhone 6.

According to reports, George was killed on Wednesday by the three suspects, who the police identified as Felix Sunday, Shomuye Musa and Oluwatobi Michael.

The suspects were arrested after a sister of the victim, Bola George, reported at Onipanu divisional police headquarters that her brother was alleged to have stolen an iPhone 6 at Keke Hotel in Iyana Iyesi area of Ota, Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun.

Bola alleged that the suspects, upon the allegation, “tied the deceased with a rope in the hotel and tortured him to death.”

“Having realized that the victim was about to give up the ghost, the suspects quickly rushed him to a hospital, but before they got to the hospital, the victim had died,” the State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, told newsmen on Thursday.

See also  BREAKING: US Secretary of State, Blinken, meets with Buhari, Osinbajo at Aso Rock

The DPO of Onipanu division, CSP Bamidele Job, was said to have mobilized his men to the scene, where two of the suspects were apprehended, while the remaining one was arrested in the hotel where the deed was done.

“On interrogation, the suspects informed the police that they strongly suspected the deceased as the person who stole the iPhone 6, and in order to recover the said phone from him, they decided to torture him not knowing that it would result to his death,” Oyeyemi stated.

While disclosing that the body of the victim had been deposited at the General Hospital’s mortuary, Ota, for autopsy, Oyeyemi added that the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Bankole had directed the transfer of the suspects to the homicide section of the state CIID for further investigation and prosecution.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

China-based businessman, two Angolans excrete 236 wraps of cocaine at Kano, Abuja airports

Published

on

By

London-bound cocaine consignment sent by convicted drug kingpin intercepted

A China-based Nigerian businessman, Ibeanu Vincent Chukwudulue and two Angolan citizens: Mbandu Martins Makiadi and Ngoma Wilson Fernando have excreted a total of 236 wraps of cocaine following their arrest by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano, respectively.

The 34-year-old Ibeanu was arrested on Wednesday 4th February 2026 while on board a Qatar Airways flight 1432, from Kano to China enroute Abuja/Doha. Acting on credible intelligence, NDLEA operatives at the Abuja airport demanded that the suspect be deboarded following which he was taken for body scan. The result confirmed the suspect ingested illicit drug.

A statement released on Sunday by the agency’s spokesperson, Femi Babafemi, said the suspect was placed under observation during which he excreted a total of 52 pellets of cocaine that weighed 735.95 grams. In his statement, Ibeanu said he was into business on Lagos Island before relocating to Guanzhou, China in 2024.

See also  UPDATED: US stops visa processing for Nigeria, 74 other countries

Similarly, the duo of Mbandu Martins Makiadi, 50, and Ngoma Wilson Fernando, 52, both Angolans were intercepted on Wednesday 4th February at the screening point of the departure hall of Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano during the outward clearance of passengers going to Istanbul, Turkey via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines flight ET940.

“When they were taken for body scan, they tested positive for ingesting illicit drug. As a result, they were kept under observation for possible excretion. While Mbandu excreted a total of 76 wraps weighing 920 grams in seven excretions, Ngoma expelled 108 pellets that weighed 1.33 kilograms in five excretions.

“During interview, the suspects who hail from Hoji Ya Henda in Luanda, the capital of Angola claimed they were recruited by a Luanda-based automobile spare parts dealer who promised to pay them $3000 each upon successful delivery of the consignments in Turkey,” Babafemi stated.

Meanwhile, an attempt by a convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji to export 1.10 kilograms of cocaine concealed in processed cassava granules, popularly known as Garri to London, United Kingdom, on a Virgin Atlantic flight, has been thwarted by NDLEA operatives at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) Ikeja Lagos.

See also  APC NEC meeting to hold at State House

Babafemi said: “Olashupo is presently serving a five-year jail term at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre, Lagos, after NDLEA arrested him in 2025 in connection with a case of unlawful conspiracy to export 17.90kg cocaine, and was successfully prosecuted, convicted and sentenced in charge number FHC/L/925C/2025, by a Federal High Court in Lagos.

“Not ready to give up on his criminal enterprise, the convict who is the Chief Executive Officer of Dimeji Express Logistics, located at 20 Omilade Street, Mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos, initiated the latest scheme from behind the prison wall to export the 1.10kg cocaine, using his company.

“His lid was, however, uncovered on Thursday 12th February when NDLEA officers at the export shed of the Lagos airport intercepted a consignment of compressed block of cocaine, hidden in a sack of Garri which was further packed inside a carton.

“A staff of Dimeji Express Logistics, Adedeji Yusuf Gbolahan who presented the consignment for export was promptly arrested. Investigations revealed that Olashupo Michael Oladimeji, initiated the trafficking scheme from prison and directed Yusuf to pick the consignment at a location in Oshodi.”

See also  Wrongly accused 28-yr-old tortured to death over missing phone, device later found on chair

Continue Reading

Metro News

‘Be vigilant’: NDLEA warns Nigerians after uncovering drugs hidden in children’s toys, garri

Published

on

By


The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has warned Nigerians to remain vigilant after operatives uncovered illicit substances concealed in children’s toys and garri.

The agency disclosed this in a statement shared by the Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi, on X on Sunday, noting that the discovery highlights the increasingly desperate tactics adopted by drug traffickers to move illegal consignments.

Babafemi said consignments of methamphetamine were concealed inside Hollandia yoghurt packs and MP3 players, a tactic uncovered by NDLEA operatives during recent operations.

Sharing videos, Babafemi wrote, “Narco-trends: FYI, children’s toys and our popular cassava granules (Garri) are not spared in their desperation to conceal and traffic illicit substances. Please beware and take a look at how #ndlea_nigeria officers discovered this.”

See also  Nigerians are crying because of hardship – do something about it, Abdulsalami tells FG
Continue Reading

Metro News

Husband dies, wife injured as truck falls on car in Lagos

Published

on

By



A man was killed on Thursday morning while his wife was critically injured after a granite-laden truck toppled onto their Toyota saloon car at Eleko Junction along the Lekki–Ajah Expressway, Lagos State.

A statement signed by the Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, disclosed.

“Preliminary security briefings reveal that an articulated truck, heavily burdened with granite and travelling at an inordinate speed from the Epe axis, was approaching Eleko Junction when it reportedly experienced a catastrophic brake malfunction.

“The mechanical failure precipitated an abrupt loss of vehicular control, causing the truck to career off its designated path and collide forcefully with a Toyota saloon car travelling from Ajah inward Epe,” the statement partly read.

LASTMA said the impact caused the truck to overturn and crush the smaller vehicle, trapping the driver inside the wreckage.

Officials of the agency and the Federal Road Safety Corps, with the help of bystanders, reportedly rescued the victims, but the man was confirmed dead at the scene, while his wife sustained life-threatening injuries and was rushed for urgent medical attention.

See also  APC national convention may hold in June – Official

The agency said the truck driver fled the scene immediately after the crash, while operatives of the Akodo Police Division provided security during the rescue operation.

The General Manager of LASTMA, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, described the incident as avoidable, urged motorists and truck drivers to ensure proper vehicle maintenance, and warned against reckless driving.

Continue Reading

Trending News